ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: charging stations as a service  (Read 9490 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: charging stations as a service
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 01:26:56 AM »

You are correct, I haven't been around the block much.

I did not say I would let people connect directly to my distro (or get anywhere near my or any power) I said I would provide. I guess the worlds we deal with are different.

I still don't see why the punters would DISCONNECT something CONNECTED. Yeah, i'd be furious if that happened.

As far as us being in the service industry; I get there's contracts and you can say "no I won't provide power" but I really think that mindset has hurt society. I've had to say no to certain things, and that sucks, but if at all possible I'll provide power (meaning I'll run an extension cord to the warmers from house power) and I'll let some 'kid' plug in his phone at FOH because I already had it setup.

Middle of the show? No, I'm busy. Tearing down? No I'm busy. etc.

---

P.S. If you can monetize on it by having the provider pay for 'charging stations' for a high-end crowd corporate event. I'm all for that.

Here is another one for you.  The power folks dropped spider boxes outside the airconditioned VIP tents.  I have no idea why this was done.

Anyway, folks outside the VIP tent were unplugging the feeders from the spider that went into the production gear in the tent, you guessed it, to charge their phones.  These were folks watching the event from outside the VIP tents to they could care less about who was paying for what inside.

It's another reason to avoid bar gigs as drunk patrons will root around at FOH to charge phones.

I always carry a giant USB battery pack.  If someone is super nice they can use that. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 11:24:44 AM »

I always carry a giant USB battery pack.  If someone is super nice they can use that.

And if they're super jerks, you can quietly smack them with it....  ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Lyle Williams

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »

I think the aim is not to let the event fail.

Everyone has their own responsibilities.  People who need a phone are expected to keep it charged.

If for some reason an event organiser, or a performer, or someone critical to the show hasn't met their responsibilities and has a flat phone, then sure, help them out.

I think it is dangerous for this to become a service without it being requested and paid for.  Time needs to go into setting it up.  There will be interactions with phone users, both friendly banter and dealing with problems.  All of this is a distraction from the main task at hand.

Mind not on the real job 5% of the time isn't a desireable outcome to me.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 05:16:20 PM »

One thing that has not been mentioned (unless I missed a post) was device security.

Unless you plainly state it, anyone who used your charging station is assuming their device is “safe” where they left it.

Whether or not they are correct, they’ll be looking to blame someone should their device go missing, and that’s most likely going to be whoever provided the “convenient charging station”.

I’ve deployed these before, with positive results.

Jordan,
I'm with you on the liability issue - the first thing I thought of.  I do like your cell phone charging lockers.  Show how green you can be by powering it with a solar panel - or power it with a big battery, and put it where you want.  There won't be any tripping hazards, either. 

May need a tilt alarm to keep it from walking, however.

frank

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 07:57:23 PM »

I find that the best defense is still a good offense. That's why I have a couple of the Anker Powerport USB power supplies available, plugged in and ready for anyone that needs it. I have no problem plugging it in to my own distribution, and I've found that it not only cuts the interruptions but also eliminates the incentive to pull plugs.

That is a real nice looking charger. What is the model number? I want a couple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 08:18:21 PM »

That is a real nice looking charger. What is the model number? I want a couple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I don't have the model number, but here is the link to them on Amazon:
Anker 10-port charger

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 08:18:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.