ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound System EQ  (Read 10305 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Re: Sound System EQ
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 10:39:49 AM »

But around 400-600 is where I need the work. 

At the risk of over simplifying this, if pulling down the 400-600 range in your main EQ fixes your issue maybe you should just do it and forget about it. Problem solved.

I have venue where I have to pull 6k way down every time in every speaker.  First thing I do every time I am there and no issues since implementing that practice.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 11:13:53 AM »

At the risk of over simplifying this, if pulling down the 400-600 range in your main EQ fixes your issue maybe you should just do it and forget about it. Problem solved.

I have venue where I have to pull 6k way down every time in every speaker.  First thing I do every time I am there and no issues since implementing that practice.

When I pull that range down, it seems to get really thin sounding.

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 11:24:13 AM »

I'm with Scott on this. However only if this problem exists everywhere in the room. If not you should "tune" your ears so you know just how bad it needs to sound to you for it to sound good/acceptable to everyone else.
Ideally you'd be able to leave FOH/mix position to check but this might be hard depending on other duties you may have, how active you (have to) mix and it is way more distracting in a church than with a band.

Depending on the type and amount of treatment the system might need re-tuning anyway so a call to the install company might be a good idea. provided they took the room sound into account in the first place.

EDIT: How much are you "pulling down" that range on the EQ. 4 to 6 dB should already make a noticeable difference, it could even be too much. You can't be as drastic with master EQ as with channel EQ.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:29:33 AM by Joe Pieternella »

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »

I'm with Scott on this. However only if this problem exists everywhere in the room. If not you should "tune" your ears so you know just how bad it needs to sound to you for it to sound good/acceptable to everyone else.
Ideally you'd be able to leave FOH/mix position to check but this might be hard depending on other duties you may have, how active you (have to) mix and it is way more distracting in a church than with a band.

Depending on the type and amount of treatment the system might need re-tuning anyway so a call to the install company might be a good idea. provided they took the room sound into account in the first place.

EDIT: How much are you "pulling down" that range on the EQ. 4 to 6 dB should already make a noticeable difference, it could even be too much. You can't be as drastic with master EQ as with channel EQ.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk

Thank you, Joe.  I am pulling down the channel eq, not the master.  I don't recall how much I'm pulling it down.  I'll try to pay attention to that this weekend and let you all know.  But that brings up one of my questions again.  Should I be manipulating the master EQ?

John L Nobile

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 12:20:18 PM »

You should be using the eq on the main outputs if it's applicable to the system. The channel eq should be used for individual instruments/vocal changes.

If 4-600 causes it to sound thin, try going a little higher, say 1k.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 12:37:56 PM »

When I pull that range down, it seems to get really thin sounding.
Probably taking too much out. Too wide of a notch most likely.

If you have a QU board then you should have parametric EQ. Try making a narrow notch at, let's say, 500 hz to start , pull down about 3-4 db and then sweep between 300 hz and as high as 1.2Khz until it sounds the best.   

It you can do this with no audience in the room;  do the opposite. Push the notch up instead of down and then sweep until its sound the worse, then pull that frequency down.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 01:11:37 PM »

Probably taking too much out. Too wide of a notch most likely.

If you have a QU board then you should have parametric EQ. Try making a narrow notch at, let's say, 500 hz to start , pull down about 3-4 db and then sweep between 300 hz and as high as 1.2Khz until it sounds the best.   

It you can do this with no audience in the room;  do the opposite. Push the notch up instead of down and then sweep until its sound the worse, then pull that frequency down.

I would like to record his preaching and then do a virtual sound check on it during the week.  Still learning how to do that and soon I will give it a try.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 02:19:26 PM »

I would like to record his preaching and then do a virtual sound check on it during the week.  Still learning how to do that and soon I will give it a try.

Yes - this. Record Pastor and live sound, then go back when church is empty, play the recordings and mix away to your hearts content trying everything that has been suggested here and anything else that you want to experiment with.  This will get you the best results as there will be no time constraints but most importantly no-one but you will be listening to it. Good Luck...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 05:02:49 PM »

Thank you, Joe.  I am pulling down the channel eq, not the master.  I don't recall how much I'm pulling it down.  I'll try to pay attention to that this weekend and let you all know.  But that brings up one of my questions again.  Should I be manipulating the master EQ?

If you find yourself cutting a frequency area (400-600) on every channel, then the main (master) EQ might need to be cut at that frequency.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2018, 05:26:02 PM »

If you find yourself cutting a frequency area (400-600) on every channel, then the main (master) EQ might need to be cut at that frequency.

And the question then becomes "is it the rig or the room, or the combination"?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2018, 05:26:02 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.