ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chauvet D-Fi USB momentary blackouts  (Read 7556 times)

Chony Milecki

Chauvet D-Fi USB momentary blackouts
« on: March 09, 2018, 05:37:20 PM »

I'm using 2x Chauvet 4Bar Tri USBs and 4x Chauvet SlimPar Pro H USBs, and they are controlled by trolled by a Chauvet D-Fi FlareCon.

I have everything connected properly and operating well. Sometimes the wifi signal gets interrupted. This is of course to be expected especially in a room or city with lots of wireless traffic. When this happens, the lights stay on the same color and the USB flashes slowly.

THE PROBLEM IS that when the wifi reconnects (the USB flashes rapidly), the light BLACKS OUT for a split second. This makes the light impossible to use in professional settings.

I've complained to Chauvet and even sent the equipment back to them, but they claim they don't understand the problem, or that there is no problem. (They don't seem to know their own products very well.)

Has anyone here experienced something similar? Is there any way around this?

Thank you,
Chony

PS: And once I'm here: I'm looking to buy 60 uplights with reliable wireless control. What are my options. Haven't found anything great online. Not a fan on the Chauvet freedom pars.

LINKS:
SlimPar USB: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SlimPARProHd1?gclid=CjwKCAiA_ojVBRAlEiwAOLRxIyEhPyhuJgL5T7ZDAPC8A42SJ62C-GjKVrDn8Zm2Mv_ImJh1WqPsLBoCXOsQAvD_BwE
4 Bar Tri USB: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/4BARFlexTUSB--chauvet-dj-4bar-flex-t-usb-4-by-rgb-par-system
FlareCon: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FlareConAir--chauvet-dj-flarecon-air-wireless-dmx-d-fi-transmitter-receiver?gclid=CjwKCAiA_ojVBRAlEiwAOLRxIx7xDZ8pl6rQ1clkEUWuNv3qsHFIKv-DbNvdz4k8PvC9TEB8mT6k0hoC63AQAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:39:57 PM by Chony Milecki »

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
Re: Chauvet D-Fi USB momentary blackouts
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 09:25:06 PM »

Have you tried using different channels on the USB dongles? Your problem seems to be interference and how the lights recover when dmx is restored. If the 1 second dropout is an issue, I'd look to cable your lights.

I have 2x tri par LT's & USB dongles, bigger gigs I use dmx cables, smaller gigs sometimes one light goes black for a moment from time to time. Nobody but me notices it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Allen Smith

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 11:14:29 PM »

This is not exactly a defect, it is a limitation in the technology.  Wifi is getting very crowded.  I use the Dfi units for my system.  In general it works very well.  I do have one club where it was more glitchy than others although the steps below make it work flawlessly.

My solution was to do the following:

-move my wifi system for my X32 mixer to a different bandwidth to eliminate congestion in my own rig
-make sure my Dfi transmitter is in the on top of a rack with no physical obstructions between it and the lights receiving the signal

These steps make it work pretty flawless.  I am transmitting on a stage so not across a room.

Another step you can consider is using a small USB extension cable to make sure there is line of sight between the transmitter and the receiver dongle.  Again, line of sight is best for distance transmitting.
-

Chony Milecki

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 01:22:38 AM »

This is not exactly a defect, it is a limitation in the technology.  Wifi is getting very crowded.  I use the Dfi units for my system.  In general it works very well.  I do have one club where it was more glitchy than others although the steps below make it work flawlessly.

My solution was to do the following:

-move my wifi system for my X32 mixer to a different bandwidth to eliminate congestion in my own rig
-make sure my Dfi transmitter is in the on top of a rack with no physical obstructions between it and the lights receiving the signal

These steps make it work pretty flawless.  I am transmitting on a stage so not across a room.

Another step you can consider is using a small USB extension cable to make sure there is line of sight between the transmitter and the receiver dongle.  Again, line of sight is best for distance transmitting.
-

I do all these things and although it helps I still get occasional drops. It's okay when I'm doing a band on stage, but not okay if I'm backlighting a person speaking and it's being videoed or broadcast.

Chauvet should have designed the lights not to flash off. They could still fix it with a firmware update, but when I spoke to them they just refused to admit that its a problem.

:-(

I've seen cheaper Chinese versions do a more reliable job.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 04:47:18 PM »

I've seen cheaper Chinese versions do a more reliable job.

And I've seen a $5 DMX cable from Amazon do an even more reliable job.  I don't mean to sound blunt, but this is the type of thing that goes along with using wireless products. 

The same can be said for mixing sound from a tablet.  It's a neat trick when it works, but it's generally ill-advised to rely on such equipment for production critical functions.  If you're doing professional work with professional expectations and absolutely need to have wireless, be prepared to pay a professional price for a professional product.

Scottshortland

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 08:28:05 PM »

Hi,

I have experienced the same thing and do not agree it’s the technology. I used many Chauvet Freedom Fixtures - Sticks, Pars, Colour Band Pix USB etc.. but do not experience the same issue you described although I do for the SlimPAR Hex USB spots. I understand wireless can have its moments but find on a couple of these fixtures drop outs or where they start running their own thing. I have swapped the D Fi USB, mine are even numbered - it gets them working again but soon drops out again. Very frustrating. The overall build, light output and design is superb but connection not as great. 

And I've seen a $5 DMX cable from Amazon do an even more reliable job.  I don't mean to sound blunt, but this is the type of thing that goes along with using wireless products. 

The same can be said for mixing sound from a tablet.  It's a neat trick when it works, but it's generally ill-advised to rely on such equipment for production critical functions.  If you're doing professional work with professional expectations and absolutely need to have wireless, be prepared to pay a professional price for a professional product.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 12:00:03 PM »

I've never had a positive experience with any "big name" wireless DMX system. Either the range is crap, connectivity is bad, or both. Our Donner units have been 100x more reliable than anything Chauvet/Blizzard/ADJ has put out, and doesn't lock us into a single manufacturer's ecosystem. Granted, we used them sparingly. The few times we've seen a loss in communication we never had a blackout, the fixtures just carried on with whatever the last command was.

They're certainly no replacement for a physical cable, though. Converting over to ArtNET was an extremely worthwhile expense as we can condense multiple universes into a single ethernet cable for our FOH run and then break them back out on stage into their respective nodes. Since we've done that the wireless comes out maybe once or twice a year. Food for thought.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 04:08:01 PM »

I've never had a positive experience with any "big name" wireless DMX system.

What do you consider a "big name" wireless DMX system?

Taylor Hall

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 04:18:55 PM »

What do you consider a "big name" wireless DMX system?
The three that I listed in my post: Chauvet, Blizzard and ADJ.
I've no doubt that there's some arena-level solution that does actually work, but that obviously doesn't fit within the scope of this thread or what I've actually had my hands on in the field.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 06:24:30 PM »

Chauvet (DJ), Blizzard, and ADJ are for the most part DJ-grade products with the price tag and performance to match.  Their wireless offerings are not professional quality nor should they be depended on for applications that matter. 

The OP mentions “professional setting” where flickering and momentary blackouts are unacceptable.  As with anything wireless, professional performance usual means a professional price tag.  A true “big name” wireless DMX setup can cost thousands but with proper component selection and setup will be very reliable.  It’s up to the OP to decide if it’s worth the cost.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 06:24:30 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.