ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chauvet D-Fi USB momentary blackouts  (Read 7649 times)

Taylor Hall

Re: Chauvet D-Fi USB momentary blackouts
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 06:41:14 PM »

Chauvet (DJ), Blizzard, and ADJ are for the most part DJ-grade products with the price tag and performance to match.  Their wireless offerings are not professional quality nor should they be depended on for applications that matter. 

The OP mentions “professional setting” where flickering and momentary blackouts are unacceptable.  As with anything wireless, professional performance usual means a professional price tag.  A true “big name” wireless DMX setup can cost thousands but with proper component selection and setup will be very reliable.  It’s up to the OP to decide if it’s worth the cost.
Hence my purposeful use of "air quotes" around "big name". It's clear to you and me that these type products are more of a gimmick or band-aid solution at this level, but because an established brand (even if it's not established in the "professional" tier of manufacturers) is behind it people can get burned, much as the case was here.

To the OP, what kind of budget are you working with? Like Jeff and myself have alluded to, there are mission-critical solutions that exist, but will not be cheap. The Iron Triangle is in full effect here.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 07:11:36 PM »

Look at City Theatrical's Show Baby 6 ; they can work reasonably well. About $200/unit; you need at least two units.  We have and use them at a 1900 seat civic auditorium for temporary places we can't readily or easily run a copper line.  Dance booms are a common use; special fixures added on via different universe are another use.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mal Brown

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 03:10:00 PM »

I've had good luck with d-fi and freedom sticks.  also with Donner.  I tend to run a single Donner receiver for a group of fixtures and hard cable the group. ie all the pars on the back truss are a group.  The motion drape hanging on the truss gets it's own receiver.  The d-fi transmitter controlling the sticks attached to the truss gets a receiver. Around 20 fixtures, 3 receivers strategically located.

early on I tried receivers  in the dozen or so pars on the rear truss.  That did not work well...  Some of the fixtures seemed sluggish and some were unresponsive.  I assumed it was just too much 2.4 ghz activity locally.   Going to hard wire seemed to clear it up.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Taylor Hall

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 04:39:52 PM »

Another thing that helps is to get the tx as high up as you can and give it a clear line of sight to the rx. Early on we saw dropouts with our donner units but after we stuck the tx on a boom mic stand and fully extended it as high as it would go we had no more problems and haven't had any since using the same method.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 04:39:52 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.