ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Socapex inquiry  (Read 3496 times)

Chris C

Socapex inquiry
« on: March 08, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »

Hey I've been searching for a few days and cant seem to find any one with this answer.

So I was swapping some Socapex the other day, and they Arc'd and gave me a pretty nasty burn on  my hands. Like I said cant seem to figure out why it would have happened. Any ideas ? 

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Socapex inquiry
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 06:28:54 PM »

Hey I've been searching for a few days and cant seem to find any one with this answer.

So I was swapping some Socapex the other day, and they Arc'd and gave me a pretty nasty burn on  my hands. Like I said cant seem to figure out why it would have happened. Any ideas ?
A 19 pin Socopex is designed to carry around 6000 watts of power, not to "swap" it under load. Arcs and sparks will fly as bits of metal contacts melt, especially if metal debris and dirt, carbon, or lubricant is already in the connector from previous "hot swaps". The more "hot swaps" done, the worse the sparking becomes, which can lead to bigger burns or meltdowns.

You'll need to complete your name to participate in these forums, hope your hand heals OK.

Art

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber