ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub design for a 18 Sound 12" subwoofer  (Read 11914 times)

Dave Jackman

Sub design for a 18 Sound 12" subwoofer
« on: March 06, 2018, 06:01:48 PM »

Hi all,
I have a Sound 18 12' subwoofer on order and plan to build my own cabinet. The problem that I encountered is that I can't find the specs on it in order to plan a design. I contacted the company in Italy and got a response that it is not a regular production run but rather is a OEM product for another builder and therefore was unable to give the specs.  I know the program power is 600 watts and the peak is 1200 ($ohms) The tech said that all he could tell me that the Fs is between 50 and 55Hz. The model number is 12NW430Y. Any suggestions for an enclosure that could be used with this sub. Not much to go on but that is all I have right now. Thanks in advance.
David

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
Re: Sub design for a 18 Sound 12" subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 06:39:49 PM »

Without getting much more of the normal specifications, no, there really isn't much anyone can suggest.
Do you even know what commercial box this driver came out of? If so, something like that would be the most obvious answer.

If you're reasonably committed to this project and willing to spend a bit more time & money, you could measure enough of the TS parameters to be useful yourself. Here is one guide to how you can do it.

Or, you can buy and learn to use This, though cost suggests that's only likely to be useful if you plan on doing a lot of speaker DIY.

HTH,
David.

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 01:59:02 AM »

Or you could do it old school. Build a cabinet to the size you are are comfortable moving, and then experiment with the port(s) until you get it right. Yes, this is how we used to do it.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 04:25:05 AM »

Measuring T/S parameters is the way to do it. Happy to help once you've got those.

Chances are there's someone nearby that has the equipment to do it, even if they don't realise. I use a pair of guitar cables cut in half, a resistor, and a USB soundcard. Needs two matched inputs (ie, both XLR, or both 1/4" jack - some have one of each and the jack is often high-impedance, which will screw up your measurements).

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Dave Jackman

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 05:25:57 AM »

Measuring T/S parameters is the way to do it. Happy to help once you've got those.

Chances are there's someone nearby that has the equipment to do it, even if they don't realise. I use a pair of guitar cables cut in half, a resistor, and a USB soundcard. Needs two matched inputs (ie, both XLR, or both 1/4" jack - some have one of each and the jack is often high-impedance, which will screw up your measurements).

Chris

Thank you very much. New to me so I  will ask around.
David

Dave Jackman

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 05:29:59 AM »

Without getting much more of the normal specifications, no, there really isn't much anyone can suggest.
Do you even know what commercial box this driver came out of? If so, something like that would be the most obvious answer.

If you're reasonably committed to this project and willing to spend a bit more time & money, you could measure enough of the TS parameters to be useful yourself. Here is one guide to how you can do it.

Or, you can buy and learn to use This, though cost suggests that's only likely to be useful if you plan on doing a lot of speaker DIY.

Thanks a lot. I don't plan on building any more at least not in the short term. I really have got to try and get the specs. I am buying he darn speaker- I should be entitled to the specs.
All the best
David

HTH,
David.

Dave Jackman

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 05:33:35 AM »

Hi all,
I have a Sound 18 12' subwoofer on order and plan to build my own cabinet. The problem that I encountered is that I can't find the specs on it in order to plan a design. I contacted the company in Italy and got a response that it is not a regular production run but rather is a OEM product for another builder and therefore was unable to give the specs.  I know the program power is 600 watts and the peak is 1200 ($ohms) The tech said that all he could tell me that the Fs is between 50 and 55Hz. The model number is 12NW430Y. Any suggestions for an enclosure that could be used with this sub. Not much to go on but that is all I have right now. Thanks in advance.
David

Sorry-4 ohms

Dave Jackman

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 05:37:02 AM »

Or you could do it old school. Build a cabinet to the size you are are comfortable moving, and then experiment with the port(s) until you get it right. Yes, this is how we used to do it.
I am confident that with a little knowledge this could be a viable options- hadn't thought of that. Could you suggest a baseline design to start with if I were to go that way. Would using a sealed enclose be too risky without the specs?
Thanks,
David

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 06:08:07 AM »

I am confident that with a little knowledge this could be a viable options- hadn't thought of that. Could you suggest a baseline design to start with if I were to go that way. Would using a sealed enclose be too risky without the specs?
Thanks,
David

Sealed enclosures are very tolerant to having random drivers dropped in there. They also don't provide much output for PA use.
A ported box is the next step up, more output but less tolerant to random drivers.
Horns are a further step in that direction. I wouldn't design a horn without carefully measuring the drivers that will be going in there.

Most PA cabinets are ported.

If you add your location to your profile, someone around might be able to help you. If not, if you're happy to cover shipping to/from me, I'm happy to produce a full datasheet for your driver.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Dave Jackman

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 06:21:34 AM »

Sealed enclosures are very tolerant to having random drivers dropped in there. They also don't provide much output for PA use.
A ported box is the next step up, more output but less tolerant to random drivers.
Horns are a further step in that direction. I wouldn't design a horn without carefully measuring the drivers that will be going in there.

Most PA cabinets are ported.

If you add your location to your profile, someone around might be able to help you. If not, if you're happy to cover shipping to/from me, I'm happy to produce a full datasheet for your driver.

So you have or can get the full specs on this driver? (Sound 18  12NW430Y). I am going to contact the Music store where I ordered it an see if I can get the info. If not then I will certainly go that route. You can pm me the shipping cost in the meantime if I need to go that route.
Thanks,
david

Chris

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 06:21:34 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.