ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX818XLFW or SRX818SP  (Read 7581 times)

Chris Poynter

• www.chrispoynter.ca
JBL PRX818XLFW or SRX818SP
« on: March 06, 2018, 09:14:52 AM »

Has anyone used both of these subs and can give me a comparison?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: JBL PRX818XLFW or SRX818SP
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 09:53:17 AM »

I own the PRX718xlf and SRX818sp if that helps.
I always find it difficult to explain how subs sound in words but I would say that the SRX is more controlled - a tighter thud and less likely to sound boomy. Also has a deeper tone. It is a little cleaner.
I like my pRX718's and I use them in the smaller places because they are a better shape when stage space is premium - taller but less deep.
Also the SRX has crossover selection but the PRX is pre-set.
Both are excellent subs.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Chris Poynter

• www.chrispoynter.ca
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 09:57:57 AM »

I own the PRX718xlf and SRX818sp if that helps.
I always find it difficult to explain how subs sound in words but I would say that the SRX is more controlled - a tighter thud and less likely to sound boomy. Also has a deeper tone. It is a little cleaner.
I like my pRX718's and I use them in the smaller places because they are a better shape when stage space is premium - taller but less deep.
Also the SRX has crossover selection but the PRX is pre-set.
Both are excellent subs.

Thanks for such a quick response. I'm glad there is a noticeable difference in sound. The only thing holding me back from ordering the SRX subs was that I really liked the shape of the PRX better. But I just pulled the trigger on two of the SRX!  :D

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 10:02:15 AM »

Thanks for such a quick response. I'm glad there is a noticeable difference in sound. The only thing holding me back from ordering the SRX subs was that I really liked the shape of the PRX better. But I just pulled the trigger on two of the SRX!  :D

Nice one.....
Don't get me wrong, the difference is very slight and like I said I find it so difficult to describe the difference in sound  when it comes to subs anyway BUT it can be heard. Makes sense though as the 2 boxes are $500 apart.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

bill jones chauncey

• jerry garcia band fanboy
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 02:25:45 PM »

Nice one.....
Don't get me wrong, the difference is very slight and like I said I find it so difficult to describe the difference in sound  when it comes to subs anyway BUT it can be heard. Makes sense though as the 2 boxes are $500 apart.

i agreee... i have two prx818xlf's and also the srx800 subs..... the prx subs are boomier and i really notice the extra low output w/ the srx....   the srx 828p is insanely good deal... amazing subwoofer and a price low enough for us weekenders... my advice, spend the dough for the srx line... better warrenty also
JBL SRX 835p (2)....SRX 815p(2)....SRX 828p(1)....PRX818xlf (2).  Driverack PA2, Soundcraft UI12

Jonathan Arce

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 01:59:35 AM »

I own both subs but I use the srx818sp more..the prx818xlf like the guy above me said they do sound more boomy..and srx deeper....I would recommend the srx series..

If I have time this week i will put them side by side with same songs if I can really almost tell the difference between the 2..

My friend that has jbl vrx918sp subs  likes my srx818sp better.

Mal Brown

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 11:25:39 AM »

Has anybody pulls the 18 from a PRX and added a little poly batting to try to control the boom?   As an ex-DIY bass cabinet guy, that was always a part of the final tuning for me.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 03:40:54 PM »

Has anybody pulls the 18 from a PRX and added a little poly batting to try to control the boom?   As an ex-DIY bass cabinet guy, that was always a part of the final tuning for me.

Mal - I'm not saying that the PRX is boomy - just more prone to it than the SRX. I really like my PRX subs - they have been fan-friggin-tactic for all my small bar jobs.
What I meant by my comment was that I find when I require a bit more from them they don't stay as tight and controlled as the SRX 's do.
This weekend the band is playing in what I think will be the most challenging of places in which I have ever had the pleasure to run sound.
From photos it looks like a HUGE garage - metal walls and high ceiling with nothing to absorb nasty reflections other than bodies. This is a good example of where I wouldn't hesitate to use the SRX's.

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »

Mal - I'm not saying that the PRX is boomy - just more prone to it than the SRX. I really like my PRX subs - they have been fan-friggin-tactic for all my small bar jobs.
What I meant by my comment was that I find when I require a bit more from them they don't stay as tight and controlled as the SRX 's do.
This weekend the band is playing in what I think will be the most challenging of places in which I have ever had the pleasure to run sound.
From photos it looks like a HUGE garage - metal walls and high ceiling with nothing to absorb nasty reflections other than bodies. This is a good example of where I wouldn't hesitate to use the SRX's.

This exactly. They don't really need any modding. I'm loading mine up right now for a low-key gig tonight with our local Beatles band.

Debbie, I did a show last year in a brewery - concrete walls & metal everywhere. Your SRX system will surprise you!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 05:11:44 PM »

This exactly. They don't really need any modding. I'm loading mine up right now for a low-key gig tonight with our local Beatles band.

Debbie, I did a show last year in a brewery - concrete walls & metal everywhere. Your SRX system will surprise you!

I hope so Steve - you did mean surprise me in a  good way - right?.. LOL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 05:11:44 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.