ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2" Compression Driver and 12" Woofer Crossover Freqs  (Read 6042 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: 2" Compression Driver and 12" Woofer Crossover Freqs
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2018, 09:16:49 AM »

I remember reading an article a while back by Dave Rat where he had a system with aux fed 1 inch drivers "tweeters on an aux". The main system had large format 2 inch drivers on the top end and any input sources that needed that little extra top end sparkle were brought up in the 1 inch aux send.

Can't remember if the 2 inch was low passed or not.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2018, 10:06:22 AM »

I remember reading an article a while back by Dave Rat where he had a system with aux fed 1 inch drivers "tweeters on an aux". The main system had large format 2 inch drivers on the top end and any input sources that needed that little extra top end sparkle were brought up in the 1 inch aux send.

Can't remember if the 2 inch was low passed or not.
I doubt the 2" were lowpassed.  They (especially back then) rolled off naturally pretty low (like above a couple of KHz)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2018, 11:44:50 AM »

Here's an idea using what he's got.  Put the JBL 12s up on sticks and the Yamaha's on the floor as aux fed subs with an elemental analog crossover and hopefully some sort of HP.  The horns should be left in as the hole they'd leave would affect the cabinet tuning.  The Yammies aren't going to produce any real bass but they will add a bit of thump to the kick drum at 80-100 that wouldn't be there with speakers up in the air.  By not asking the 12s to produce any bottom, they should have a bit more clarity.  That is about as loud as this pile-o-boxes will go.  Any louder would be a complete modern system up to the task.
Probably the forum members have been over-thinking this.  If so, this is the best advise yet!  If the system is just going to be used at a party with a hundred people of questionable sobriety that want some music, this will be adequate and appreciated as much as a modern "state of the art" active full range with subs system.  My experience is that 98% of the people just need it louder than their home stereo, want a little bit of kick and bass they can feel in the gut, and if they can hear the vocals, they are happy.

If a real quality system that can compete with the "state of the art" is the poster's desire, that just can't and won't happen.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2018, 04:57:38 PM »

I doubt the 2" were lowpassed.  They (especially back then) rolled off naturally pretty low (like above a couple of KHz)

I just did searching and found the blog, the 2'' were not low passed and the system mentioned were his RAT Trap 5's. Yet from another article I think those were loaded with 2441's or DH1'a, the DH1'a would have had more high frequency extension.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2018, 04:57:38 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 25 queries.