ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Controlling lights via Ableton  (Read 3729 times)

Jonah Mociun

Controlling lights via Ableton
« on: March 05, 2018, 08:40:45 PM »

I thought I posted about this yesterday..  not sure if it got removed somehow, maybe cause it included a bunch of links to products I was considering?

I'm trying figure out the cheapest/simplest way to make some MIDI buttons turn on LED's while the buttons are depressed.  I'm working with 10 separate buttons and I'd like each button to turn on a separate light or strip of lights.  (Photo of the lights and buttons attached.)

I can figure out the software part on my own but I'm confused about the hardware.  It seems like using DMX will require a bunch of extra boxes that I don't want to have to deal with, so I'm gathering that a microcontroller board will be better.  I'm told that a MicroPython board such as the Adafruit Feather will be better than Arduino - why, I don't know.  I don't have any experience with DIY electronics or programming and I'm hoping to find a solution that a non-genius like myself will be able to implement without too much trouble.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Controlling lights via Ableton
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 08:52:13 PM »

I thought I posted about this yesterday..  not sure if it got removed somehow, maybe cause it included a bunch of links to products I was considering?

I can't speak to any deleted posts, but you need to change your user name to your actual first and last name per the rules you agreed to when signing up.  No one will be able to help you until you take care of this.  Thanks!

Jonah Mociun

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 11:00:29 PM »

I can't speak to any deleted posts, but you need to change your user name to your actual first and last name per the rules you agreed to when signing up.  No one will be able to help you until you take care of this.  Thanks!

Thank you, done!

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 11:57:06 PM »

Forum search is your friend here.  This has been discussed a few times already.

Jonah Mociun

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 04:52:26 AM »

Forum search is your friend here.  This has been discussed a few times already.

Thanks Erik.  I looked at other posts in this vein and they don't quite encompass what I'm trying to do.

I should clarify.  The bongos are not actually MIDI controllers.  They're Nintendo with a USB adapter.  The USB signal is converted to MIDI data in the computer and then sent to Ableton.  With Ableton I'd like to send data back out of the computer into 10 separate single-color LED's (8 strips, 2 single lights), I'm guessing via DMX or a microcontroller like Arduino or something.  I know that there are Ableton plug-ins for both Arduino and DMX.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 01:42:13 AM »

Thanks Erik.  I looked at other posts in this vein and they don't quite encompass what I'm trying to do.

I should clarify.  The bongos are not actually MIDI controllers.  They're Nintendo with a USB adapter.  The USB signal is converted to MIDI data in the computer and then sent to Ableton.  With Ableton I'd like to send data back out of the computer into 10 separate single-color LED's (8 strips, 2 single lights), I'm guessing via DMX or a microcontroller like Arduino or something.  I know that there are Ableton plug-ins for both Arduino and DMX.

We use Chauvet's Show Designer software with Ableton.  Works great.  Ableton's video playback is great too.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bryan Dumaguina

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 08:14:20 PM »

What kind of data is the Nintendo controller outputting? Serial Data? Like how computer keyboard and mouse communicate?

What software do you use to convert said data to MIDI and send to Ableton? Bomes MIDI Translator?

Lastly, what kind of LED strips do you use? Do they accept MIDI /DMX? Because if they don't accept then any USB MIDI to DMX converter may not work.

I speak from research, not from experience. So far, the best option I've found to control DMX fixtures from Ableton is via ENTTEC DMXIS. But it's quite expensive for me, since I'm just trying it out as a hobby. There are however cheap USB DMX dongles everywhere (EBAY, Lazada, Shopee), but they will require you to run another software alongside Ableton (like Freestyler).

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber