ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Confused about video specs  (Read 10979 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Confused about video specs
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 06:50:57 PM »

So, on another thread, someone mentioned hdmi to sdi and not passing HDCP?

I bought the Blackmagic Mini Converter HDMI to SDI 6G (and reverse) on the thought it would future proof me.

Any new thoughts? I am stuck here and have got to move forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Okay, first of all video is FREAKING STUPID!!!!!

There, i got that out of the way...

So, this one is a lot like audio troubleshooting.  try to remove as much as possible from the equation and then get it to work.  Then add pieces a bit at a time.

i'm a little confused about all the particulars of your situation, so i'll just list a few video gotchas in no particular order.

1.  HDCP is stupid and will bite you.  If you can find any way to output an HDMI source without it [such as the aforementioned PC/MAC] i'd do so just to remove that variable.  If you're coming from your receiver at home, presumably you are using a BluRay or Sat receiver or some such as your actual source and that can definitely be looking for the magic HDCP handshake in order to function.
    1a.  Firmware updates that happen in the background on things like Sat receivers or basically ANY device that sits on the internet can make perfectly functional HDCP systems break overnight and without warning.  Ask me how i know....

2.  1080p has just enough weird variations to ALSO bite you.  If at all possible stick to 1080i or 720p to get this stuff working.  You can always try to up it to 1080p once you know it's all talking.  If you're using a Sat receiver or some such as your input source, try to hook it up to something that works and see if you can set it's output resolution to 720p or 1080i.

3.  If you have ANY way of getting your hands on a Decimator MD-HX even just for testing, do so.  Any video guy is gonna have one of these in their toolkit.  It basically will take just about any video format and make it just about any other video format.  AND tell you what the thing it's getting IS [which is probably the most important thing].

4.  Getting the audio out of the BMD SD-HDMI converter will basically just work once you get the other parts sorted.  What you're doing is "de-embedding" which is kinda an automatic process, especially if you're outputting to analog.  It'll essentially act as a Y cable, putting the embedded audio on to the analog outs as well as continuing to pass the embedded audio along the SDI video path.  So that's good news.  :)

Let me know if any of what i've said just raised other questions.  I've learned just enough vidiocy along the way to create a well and proper trip hazard.  Happy to take you along for the ride....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 10:47:42 PM »

Okay, first of all video is FREAKING STUPID!!!!!

There, i got that out of the way...

So, this one is a lot like audio troubleshooting.  try to remove as much as possible from the equation and then get it to work.  Then add pieces a bit at a time.

i'm a little confused about all the particulars of your situation, so i'll just list a few video gotchas in no particular order.

1.  HDCP is stupid and will bite you.  If you can find any way to output an HDMI source without it [such as the aforementioned PC/MAC] i'd do so just to remove that variable.  If you're coming from your receiver at home, presumably you are using a BluRay or Sat receiver or some such as your actual source and that can definitely be looking for the magic HDCP handshake in order to function.
    1a.  Firmware updates that happen in the background on things like Sat receivers or basically ANY device that sits on the internet can make perfectly functional HDCP systems break overnight and without warning.  Ask me how i know....

2.  1080p has just enough weird variations to ALSO bite you.  If at all possible stick to 1080i or 720p to get this stuff working.  You can always try to up it to 1080p once you know it's all talking.  If you're using a Sat receiver or some such as your input source, try to hook it up to something that works and see if you can set it's output resolution to 720p or 1080i.

3.  If you have ANY way of getting your hands on a Decimator MD-HX even just for testing, do so.  Any video guy is gonna have one of these in their toolkit.  It basically will take just about any video format and make it just about any other video format.  AND tell you what the thing it's getting IS [which is probably the most important thing].

4.  Getting the audio out of the BMD SD-HDMI converter will basically just work once you get the other parts sorted.  What you're doing is "de-embedding" which is kinda an automatic process, especially if you're outputting to analog.  It'll essentially act as a Y cable, putting the embedded audio on to the analog outs as well as continuing to pass the embedded audio along the SDI video path.  So that's good news.  :)

Let me know if any of what i've said just raised other questions.  I've learned just enough vidiocy along the way to create a well and proper trip hazard.  Happy to take you along for the ride....

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

This is what I am wanting.
My video sources are a Sat receiver and either or both a PC or Macbook laptop.
The Sat receiver is 130’ from mix position. I would like to get my signal and also feed the local tv.
The laptops are local to the mix position.
The projector is about 100’ from mix position. It has a DVI input.

I have a 120’ amplified HDMI cable. I was planning to use it to go to the projector.

Help?

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 11:33:47 PM »

So, on another thread, someone mentioned hdmi to sdi and not passing HDCP?

I bought the Blackmagic Mini Converter HDMI to SDI 6G (and reverse) on the thought it would future proof me.

Any new thoughts? I am stuck here and have got to move forward.

SDI doesn't pass HDCP.  Either the converter chokes on it and you get nothing (in whatever way that specific gear fails) or it strips it and then you don't have to worry about it anymore.  It won't tell you if it strips in the specs since the HDCP people would get a bit upset about that.  I do know that the decimator MD-HX does strip it.  The MD-HX is a much more useful piece of gear than any blackmagic device.

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
Confused about video specs
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 12:51:10 AM »

SDI doesn't pass HDCP.  Either the converter chokes on it and you get nothing (in whatever way that specific gear fails) or it strips it and then you don't have to worry about it anymore.  It won't tell you if it strips in the specs since the HDCP people would get a bit upset about that.  I do know that the decimator MD-HX does strip it.  The MD-HX is a much more useful piece of gear than any blackmagic device.

Ok, help me understand this some more...
The receiver tries to do an HDCP handshake with what it thinks is a display but it gets a hdmi to sdi converter and .....?

Oh, and I ordered a decimator. Seems like good test gear if for no other reason.

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 01:08:29 AM »

Ok, help me understand this some more...
The receiver tries to do an HDCP handshake with what it thinks is a display but it gets a hdmi to sdi converter and .....?

Oh, and I ordered a decimator. Seems like good test gear if for no other reason.

HDMI isn't all evil.  The physical plugs are a bit lame (fragile, non-locking).  Once you can get past thinking HDMI = video to thinking HDMI = multiple 2-way protocols - it's not so bad. 

You will want some "Swiss army knife" devices around for troubleshooting. 

It's like audio.  You wouldn't connect an RJ45 connectored cheap Cat5e cable between two devices and expect them to just work.  There is at least a basic understanding of TCP/IP, Dante, QLan, AES50, etc required.  It's the same with HDMI. 

There are a few ways to get video past 30' reliably, all have their strengths and weaknesses.  SDI, HD base T, and various HD over IP solutions exist, none is one size fits all. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 02:00:22 PM »

So, it seems to me I need HD base T for my application? SDI only for non HDCP sources?

Jordan Wolf

Confused about video specs
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 05:13:31 PM »

With video there are some caveats...

1. All devices must be set to the exact same resolution settings in order to work with each other. Think static IP addressing

2. There are different, uh...”flavors” of SDI - A and B. Black Magic gear defaults to B, most other gear defaults to A. The MD-HX you bought will allow you to change this, but so may the Black Magic software with the most current firmware.

3. HDCP is usually activated one of two ways: the first is when the playback material demands it, the second is when the source hardware detects an HDCP-compliant connection.

Analog Way is one company that makes switchers with the ability to turn off HDCP compliance in the I/O (HDMI or DVI only), thus dealing with the more common hardware issue. Apple laptops are notorious for this.

I have not yet tried a Decimator unit in a similar capacity, but if it works, that would be great!

4. Active HDMI/DVI cables typically don’t like any couplers or extensions, and most get the juice that powers the EQ chip from the Sink/Display end.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »

With video there are some caveats...

1. All devices must be set to the exact same resolution settings in order to work with each other. Think static IP addressing

2. There are different, uh...”flavors” of SDI - A and B. Black Magic gear defaults to B, most other gear defaults to A. The MD-HX you bought will allow you to change this, but so may the Black Magic software with the most current firmware.

3. HDCP is usually activated one of two ways: the first is when the playback material demands it, the second is when the source hardware detects an HDCP-compliant connection.

Analog Way is one company that makes switchers with the ability to turn off HDCP compliance in the I/O (HDMI or DVI only), thus dealing with the more common hardware issue. Apple laptops are notorious for this.

I have not yet tried a Decimator unit in a similar capacity, but if it works, that would be great!

4. Active HDMI/DVI cables typically don’t like any couplers or extensions, and most get the juice that powers the EQ chip from the Sink/Display end.
Thanks

My active hdmi cable has a usb pigtail at the source end to power it.

If the hdmi to sdi and the sdi to hdmi are same flavor, does the flavor really matter?
I could see if you had a camera that output flavor A then a flavor B sdi to hdmi converter would not work.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 07:16:13 PM »

Thanks

My active hdmi cable has a usb pigtail at the source end to power it.

If the hdmi to sdi and the sdi to hdmi are same flavor, does the flavor really matter?
I could see if you had a camera that output flavor A then a flavor B sdi to hdmi converter would not work.

Your BMDs will work together just fine.  You have to basically make most of their stuff jump through hoops to change from A to B or vice versa.

Although, as it turns out, some of their devices DO prefer A.  And some will NOT see B.  Or 1080p60.  But 1080p30 will be fine.  But only one flavor.  Unless it's the older one.  Or you update the firmware.  Or ya know....  'cause reasons....

I'm putting together a Video Studio at work right now and while i'm not directly in charge of getting all the video to work i've had a good bit of a hand in.  And yeah, going to 1080p60 [really 59.94 but i digress] has introduced the A versus B issue in spades. 

Did i mention Video Sucked?  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 03:38:25 PM »

So, I picked up a Decimator and that helps with knowing that you have. I got a HDMI extender and 150’ of cat6 and a separate audio extractor. Hooked it all up and it all worked.

Things are looking up. Now to address a projector issue. Started a new thread on it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 03:38:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 26 queries.