ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Confused about video specs  (Read 10977 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Confused about video specs
« on: March 05, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »

Ok, I am a bit of a neophyte about video.

Some specs say HD. Some say 1080(p,i,59.9....).
Some have an X by Y set of numbers or I see 3G-sdi.

I have a bunch of gear (projector, EIDid boxes, monitors, hdmi to sdi and back , receiver etc) that all claims HD and 1080p.

But, I am having a bad time making it all work together.

Maybe unrelated but my eidid boxes (Geffen hdmi detective) used to work great with my MacBook to keep the external monitor setting right but no longer does. I think the latest MacOS broke it.

Anyway, it would be a great help if all y’all could help me understand this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
Re: Confused about video specs
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 03:55:14 PM »

Hey Rob,

Give us some general topography of your layout and connections as well as cable run lengths. It all matters. We used to use those EDID detectives a fair amount but it's been 5-6 years since I've seen one. I'd be tempted to try without it. Let me know and I'll try and help...
Ryan Davis

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
Confused about video specs
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 05:19:20 PM »

I have a satellite tv receiver with a single hdmi out. I have been disconnecting the display and then using a usb powered 120’ hdmi cable to reach a projector. Just makes it. I had an A/B switch at the projector to switch between a laptop, also at the projector, for PowerPoint and the TV. I had a pair of EDID boxes, one on each input to the switch so when switching, there was no embarrassing wait while everyone figured out resolutions.
It worked fine for years.

Now I have two new things to accomplish.
First, relocate the source selection switching and the laptop to the audio mix position. This happens to be about 135’ from the TV source. So, the long hdmi cable won’t reach. However, I can use the long hdmi cable from the mix position to the projector. I have a pair of Blackmagic mini converters to and from hdmi & sdi 6G. I planned to use a 150’ length of RG6.

The problem is that I am trying to check this all out at home as I won’t have access to the venue again to test until show day. At home I was attempting to take the output of my Yamaha home receiver and send it via sdi to the projector but it is mostly not working. Partly, I am guessing the Yamaha doesn’t want to switch to the resolution I need?
My next experiment is to use a TiVo for the source.
The sdi to hdmi converter also has audio extraction which I need to test. If I can get it to work I don’t need to run a pair of 135’ XLR cables also.

Second, I need to split the hdmi at the TV to reconnect the local display.

Thanks for any help.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:21:25 PM by Rob Spence »

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 12:12:38 AM »

HDCP signal encryption could be your problem here.  I don’t recall if BM converters strip it or choke on it.  A PC with HDMI output is a good test source.  Odds are your receiver and TiVo both always output a HDCP encrypted signal.  Apple hardware also always outputs HDCP.  If you know you’ll be tangling with HDCP sources you could switch to HDBaseT instead of SDI or you could check out decimator designs MD-HX.  That has stripped HDCP for me in the past.

As long as you are coming out an actual HDMI port you should be getting a proper broadcast video formatted signal which your converters will recognize.  1080i 59.94 is a broadcast standard, see if that works for you.  Moving to 1080p can introduce new complications that I won’t get into now.

For source switching a proper switcher/scaler is a good choice.  It will maintain a constant connection to the projector and save you from the edid stuff you’ve dealt with.  There are units with native SDI and/or HDBaseT built in.  HDBT preserves HDCP which is why it can be good in situations where the switcher doesn’t strip it.

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 12:14:26 AM »

I had been thinking of replacing the A/B switch with a Roland V-1HD (or V-1SDI though a bit beyond what I would like to spend). With the Roland I can have a monitor to see the TV feed before we switch to it. I have been queuing from the audio.

I don’t know if it matters but the projector is a DVI in.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 09:27:54 AM »

I had been thinking of replacing the A/B switch with a Roland V-1HD (or V-1SDI though a bit beyond what I would like to spend). With the Roland I can have a monitor to see the TV feed before we switch to it. I have been queuing from the audio.

I don’t know if it matters but the projector is a DVI in.

A video switch with a preview bus is a great tool to have.  I don’t know that specific unit but make sure it has framesync and frameconverters on the inputs.  That’s what will convert incoming signals to the correct resolution (if needed).

DVI shouldn’t make a difference.  For your purpose it’s pretty much just a locking HDMI connector.  This assumes that the pj accepts standard television formats (1080i/p 720p etc) and that it accepts HDCP.

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 12:37:28 PM »

A video switch with a preview bus is a great tool to have.  I don’t know that specific unit but make sure it has framesync and frameconverters on the inputs.  That’s what will convert incoming signals to the correct resolution (if needed).

DVI shouldn’t make a difference.  For your purpose it’s pretty much just a locking HDMI connector.  This assumes that the pj accepts standard television formats (1080i/p 720p etc) and that it accepts HDCP.

Hmmm, I suspect the projector has no idea about HDCP. In fact, neither do I. It is not a new projector. It has component, DVI and VGA inputs. It does accept 1080p.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 10:39:08 PM »

Hmmm, I suspect the projector has no idea about HDCP. In fact, neither do I. It is not a new projector. It has component, DVI and VGA inputs. It does accept 1080p.

I’d bet it does handle it.  What’s the make and model?  Should be an easy spec to look up.

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 12:18:27 PM »

I’d bet it does handle it.  What’s the make and model?  Should be an easy spec to look up.

It’s a Sanyo PLC-XTC50L XGA projector. And, yes, it has an input mode for HDCP.

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 06:22:46 PM »

So, on another thread, someone mentioned hdmi to sdi and not passing HDCP?

I bought the Blackmagic Mini Converter HDMI to SDI 6G (and reverse) on the thought it would future proof me.

Any new thoughts? I am stuck here and have got to move forward.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 06:22:46 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.