ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attenuator for cheap headset mics with wireless beltpacks - anyone done it?  (Read 2102 times)

Chris Eddison

Hi all
I’ve been searching for a while for some ok sounding cheap headset mics. I’ve used the Pulse/CPC ones for years but have recently had some reliability issues with them.
I’ve found the IMG Stageline (Monacor) HSW-130/SK to be good but as with a lot of cheap headsets its’ output is very hot and is clipping my (Trantec S5) beltpacks with loud singing or shouting even with the gain turned down.
The connector is a 4 pin mini xlr wired to the Shure pinout (10k resistor between 2 of the pins for DCbias). I reckon there’s space to build in a small attenuator circuit within the connector. Just wondered if anybody had managed this before? I reckon I need to lose 6-8dB to make things a little safer. Don’t want to affect the DC bias though.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto

I have not done what you are suggesting but I don't see why it would not work.
Having had a similar problem with cheapo headset mics, when buying a new bunch I did find ones with less sensitivity (lower output).
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Scott Helmke

I know you're not using Shure beltpacks, but maybe Trantec copied the exact spec. In which case, the middle pin (pin 4) has a 20k resistor to ground in the beltpack. That's used in some topologies to provide a path for the DC bias to ground, if the capsule itself doesn't do that.  So if that pin is connected to the audio input pin (pin 3) then maybe a similar resistor between the wire from the capsule and the audio input pin would give you a voltage divider.

Chris Eddison

Thanks everyone.
I'll give building an attenuator a go and let you know how I fare.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Attenuator for cheap headset mics with wireless beltpacks - anyone done it?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 05:31:37 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.