ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Producer vs Compact  (Read 20428 times)

Craig Smith

X32 Producer vs Compact
« on: February 28, 2018, 01:24:39 AM »

About a year ago I was looking to get a new mixer but decided to hold off.  Doesn't look like there's much change in the low-end digital offerings since, but just wanted to confirm my thoughts.

It sounded like X32 Producer was the best bang for the buck, well worth the increase over the Presonus 16.0.2 (although I do like the meters).  But now I'm wondering if it's worth getting the Compact instead (but I have to draw the line there).  Here's what I've identified as the benefits:

Scribble strips - people seem to really like them
Larger tilted screen - I really like the idea
Dedicated mute group and scene buttons - scene buttons could be useful in theater
Integrated talkback mic - nice to have
Lamp socket - nice to have
Headphone jack on left - finally someone is thinking
AES/EBU digital output - don't need now but maybe useful in the future
USB remote control vs just ethernet - I assume this means I can just plug in a computer without having to use a router?  Although I probably want a router anyway for wireless control.

I prefer the size and weight of the Producer but I'm starting to think the Compact might be worth it.  The scribble strips and larger screen seem like the biggest benefits, so hard to say if they alone are worth the difference.  The other things are nice to haves.  Thoughts?

Thanks very much.

Uniz Kazz

Re: X32 Producer vs Compact
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 01:50:09 AM »

Go with the Compact for live use. The scribble scripts alone is worth the extra $, such an unbelievable time saver - I feel like you would really regret not having them knowing that you could’ve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 08:28:15 AM »

I don’t believe the USB remote port actually works.  I couldn’t figure out how to get it to connect to x32 edit a few days ago.  As long as you have a gigabit nic in your computer you can just connect directly computer to console with any old network cable.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 09:16:51 AM »

Much as I like the form factor, the lack of scribble strips was a reduction too far in the Producer.  Well worth the slight extra size & cost unless you really have to fit in a smaller pack.

Running through multiple layers will burn you a few times, but much fewer when you have the scribble strips to guide you.

Also, with the smaller screen, the encoders below don't line up directly (they do on the Compact/Full size)  Minor, but a bit irkesome.

Or, there's always the M32R, but presumably you're cost driven, so that's out of the running?

For me, the full size desk would always win out for functionality, if I wasn't having to transport it.  If mobile was required, I'd be torn between the M32R and the X32C, but the 10 year warranty on the M32R would probably win out.

Craig Smith

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 09:37:44 AM »

Thanks everyone!  Yes, cost is a big issue; as much as I swore I'd never buy a B product I just can't get something like the M32.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 10:11:44 AM »

Running through multiple layers will burn you a few times, but much fewer when you have the scribble strips to guide you.

Just to reinforce this point. I have been burned so many times either being on the wrong layer and not realizing it, or on the right layer but the wrong channel that now I  find myself using my ipad almost exclusvely even when standing right in front of the console.   
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 10:30:20 AM »

Go compact; scribble strips are very very very useful.
The gui seems to be designed for the bigger screen too. The fonts can become kinda small causing me to sometimes have to lean in to be sure of what I'm doing on the Producer. And way more flightcases available.

I'm mostly doing dry hire but the few times I use it myself make me wish I went compact.
But I mostly use it remote controlled with a tablet with the surface as a glorified stagebox-with-faders.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 10:51:23 AM »

but I'm starting to think the Compact might be worth it.  T
It is!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 01:49:14 PM »

About a year ago I was looking to get a new mixer but decided to hold off.  Doesn't look like there's much change in the low-end digital offerings since, but just wanted to confirm my thoughts.

It sounded like X32 Producer was the best bang for the buck, well worth the increase over the Presonus 16.0.2 (although I do like the meters).  But now I'm wondering if it's worth getting the Compact instead (but I have to draw the line there).  Here's what I've identified as the benefits:

Scribble strips - people seem to really like them
Larger tilted screen - I really like the idea
Dedicated mute group and scene buttons - scene buttons could be useful in theater
Integrated talkback mic - nice to have
Lamp socket - nice to have
Headphone jack on left - finally someone is thinking
AES/EBU digital output - don't need now but maybe useful in the future
USB remote control vs just ethernet - I assume this means I can just plug in a computer without having to use a router?  Although I probably want a router anyway for wireless control.

I prefer the size and weight of the Producer but I'm starting to think the Compact might be worth it.  The scribble strips and larger screen seem like the biggest benefits, so hard to say if they alone are worth the difference.  The other things are nice to haves.  Thoughts?

Thanks very much.
NOT used the compact, but have used the Producer and X32R extensively....
Have an external router and so used to tablet mixing/use that I don't miss the scribble strips on the Producer.
However, it appears the scribble strips are worth the extra $$ ..
I'd take the X32R myself, or perhaps the Soundcraft UI24R - and do away with all the proprietary apps on needs to install on your devices to run the B stuff.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 02:13:47 PM »

Another big +1 for the Compact. Easily the most versatile console in our inventory.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 03:03:40 PM »

Just to be a slight contrarian:

For gigs with 16 or fewer inputs, the Producer is just fine. As has been noted elsewhere, you can press two layer buttons at once and have all 16 inputs in front of you, and putting a tape strip or whatever across the whole fader section of the console as well as one underneath the faders lets you label channels for both conditions (1-8/9-16 on the left bank, DCA's/Aux busses/etc on the right).

17 inputs becomes a pain in the neck and requires very careful organization at all times.

If you are in a situation where you are going to buy exactly one console and will have a variety of input numbers including over 16, I agree that you should have one with scribble strips. Much easier to keep track of everything.

The rack mount feature is nice, though.

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 03:31:34 PM »

Is "Compact" a particular model?   :P

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 04:35:45 PM »

Hit up Mike Pyle here. He is a regular and has great pricing on the X32/M32 line. You may be closer to a M32R or at least a X32 Compact than you think.
    Shameless plug  ;-)

Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
[email protected]

Douglas R. Allen

Wes Garland

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 05:45:24 PM »

When I run more than 16 inputs on Producer, I use the first 8 for drum kit and the next 16 all together.  This makes the navigation bearable, since I don't need to think about where the drums are....kick snare tom tom tom oh oh, I always do 'em the same.

My biggest complaint about the Producer is that the screen is too far away from my face at a flat angle.  This makes it so I have to crane my neck, which is a problem because I have neck problems. And bad eyesight.

Wes

Craig Smith

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 01:30:26 AM »

Thanks very much everyone, great input.  The stuff I do is small and only once have I ever needed more than 16 inputs, and frankly I rarely need more than 8.  So I guess that makes it easier.  But I used to have an 01v and got burned once or twice by being on the wrong layer.  And I really hated the almost flat screen -- I had to lean over or stand most of the time.  (Why don't they make screens that tilt up during use and fold flat for storage?)

iPad mixing just won't work for what I do -- I am constantly adjusting multiple faders by feel.

I've already been in touch with Mike and he has a hard-to-pass-up deal on the Producer, so that makes it harder.  But he also has a much better than expected price on the M32 that is really tempting.  I don't know much about it, although the features are virtually identical to the X32.  So I'm not sure what it would do for me, or that the boss would go for it.  But the name sounds better.

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 04:07:10 AM »

Thanks very much everyone, great input.  The stuff I do is small and only once have I ever needed more than 16 inputs, and frankly I rarely need more than 8.

If you only need 8-16 inputs and are the only one using the board you can probably get by on the producer. You'll probably know where everything is anyway and with some self training you can teach yourself to always have all 16 ch showing and only going to another layer for "special" adjustments.
Effect return, dca adjustment and maybe monitor adjustment are "active/special" actions anyway so going to the right layer first is something you'll get used to very quickly.
The screen on a producer is tilted more than a 01v's so it's less of a problem

However if the m32r is in range...
Tilted screen
Nicer faders and knobs (feel)
Scribble strips even though this isn't high on your list.
Better looks(subjective)
And it says midas which means you can charge more for the same base product depending on how you operate and has a higher resale value.
OH and the preamps but the difference is not night and day and I haven't been able to do a fair comparison. There is a thread here where a better comparison has been made.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:10:22 AM by Joe Pieternella »

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 09:38:04 AM »

If you only need 8-16 inputs and are the only one using the board you can probably get by on the producer.
Effect return, dca adjustment and maybe monitor adjustment are "active/special" actions anyway so going to the right layer first is something you'll get used to very quickly.
Fair enough 5-10 years ago, with less featured desks, but I'd really rather not "probably get by" and have to "get used" to anything, when the more functional kit is such a small price premium...

Like I said, I manage to burn myself occasionally on even a full sized X32, if I'm distracted.  Why would I want to lose anything that helps me out...

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2018, 03:31:05 PM »

The producer model was designed for the studio guy who utilizes the mixer to control his DAW more so than the live sound guy. In the studio you don't really need scribble strips because you are only working on 8 channels at a time and everything should be labeled in the DAW.

The compact is just a half size X32 and is meant for live use.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2018, 04:44:08 PM »

The producer model was designed for the studio guy who utilizes the mixer to control his DAW more so than the live sound guy. In the studio you don't really need scribble strips because you are only working on 8 channels at a time and everything should be labeled in the DAW.

The compact is just a half size X32 and is meant for live use.
Used the Producer live for 2+ yrs..  admittedly with ONE band.. so once we figured out where it all went and made it repeatable, it wasn't that big an issue missing scribble strips.  :)

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 07:07:02 PM »

It sounds like your on the same journey I was on about 10 months ago or so.  Besides the great price Mike had on the M32r I also had to look long term. Will you still be mixing 10 years from now? Midas has a 10 year warranty on the M32r! I feel this mixer properly taken care of will last 10 years. What will the purchase price spread out over 10 years really be per year? Regardless I'm sure you will like the M32/X32 formats. The M32r is a great mixer. Coming off an 01v96 having so much more to work with and the scribble strips   ;-) the M32r was a very good investment for me.

Douglas R. Allen

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,163234.0.html

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 09:15:04 PM »

I've used All 3 options [Producer, Compact, and M32r] quite a bit and here's my 2 cents.

For me, the Producer is a non-starter. After the 12th time you've made an adjustment on the wrong layer in the heat of battle, i suspect you'll agree with me.  Maybe it works for a studio thing.  But live?  No thanks.  And owned and used Both 01V models extensively, but once you've got LCD scribble strips you will never, ever, ever want to go back.

The compact is fine for what it is, but it always feels kinda bulky to me.  The larger screen is not important to me and the few more controls are all things i don't care about.  It's not a distant second, but it kinda misses the mark for me.

To me, the real diamond is the M32r.  It's super compact.  The screen/control angle is MUCH better.  The controls are a little easier to see/use.  We've BASHED ours [flown all over the world in pelicans, etc] and they've held up well.  To me, it's just the right amount of stuff at just the right amount of size.  I use a QL1 a LOT as well, and for a fraction of the money the M32r is a Very Close Second.  And to be clear, i could give a rat's ass about the "better Mic Pre's and faders" or whatever.  All of these options sound fine.  All of the faders are fine.  The QL1 is definitely MORE fine.  But it's 4 times more expensive, so it better be.

I don't know where your breaking point is price-wise.  But i really like the M32r.  If you can swing it, i think this is a classic BOCO situation.  I don't think you'll regret it.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Craig Smith

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 04:20:47 PM »

Thanks everyone, fantastic information.  The Producer would probably be just fine most of the time, but I really like the screen angle on the Midas, and it sounds like the quality is definitely better.  Usually I follow the BOCO philosophy, but the cost differences are significant and my wife will probably freak.

This will probably be the last mixer I buy until it breaks, so the 10 year warranty is something to think about.  The 3 year warranty on the Behringer has so many exclusions, almost everything that matters is only a 1 year warranty.  But I don't use my equipment much and take very good care of it. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 04:20:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.