ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Load Bank  (Read 12007 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: New Load Bank
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 05:23:39 PM »

Don't forget to let the mic squeal when you walk up to it.....
Chris.

So they know the mic is ON, right?  :o

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 06:30:30 PM »

So they know the mic is ON, right?  :o

I believe the exact quote is:

<SQUEEEEEEL> <tap> <tap> "Is this thing on?"

(As if the squeal wasn't sufficient to let them know that it is.)

But you and I both know that if a microphone has a switch, the talent will turn it off when they leave the stage. And the next "talent" will exhibit the complete inability to understand that the mic is off, let alone find the switch.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:32:52 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 07:37:23 PM »

Well, it's not 5 Megawatts, but it's a 10kW 120/240-volt load bank...

Does this present a purely resistive (not in this dictionary) load?  Just curious.

-Dennis

Mike Sokol

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 11:11:20 PM »

Does this present a purely resistive (not in this dictionary) load?  Just curious.

-Dennis

Yes, they call it a "Resistive" Load Bank, and there's not an inductor or capacitor in sight. http://www.steadypower.com/products.php?product=Avtron-K490-Portable-Load-Bank-%2810kW%29

Mike Sokol

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 12:08:28 PM »

I only had one problem with my new load bank, the panel amp meter was dead. I used a greenie screwdriver to adjust the zero position, just in case the meter movement was stuck. But that didn't do anything. I opened up the case and measured across the amp meter itself (after disconnecting the leads) and it read around 0.1 ohms as expected. I did the same on the current transformer and it also read around 0.1 ohms as expected. It did appear that one of the leads connecting the current transformer to the meter was open, but it disappeared into a wiring harness bundle and couldn't be physically traced without cutting apart a beautiful wiring job. Ugh.

I didn't have a user's manual or schematic in hand because they're not on the interweb, and the manufacturer hadn't sent me one yet. But this morning I received an email with both the user manual AND the schematic. A quick look at the schematic for 10 seconds showed me what was wrong and the solution. There's a pair of 5-way binding posts on the front panel so you can use an external amp meter, and it's in series with the current transformer and meter. So you need to install a shorting jumper (yes, with its own long part number) if you want to use the on-board panel meter. Of course there was no shorting jumper supplied with the used unit. Also, there was no schematic or user manual either, which clearly states you need a shorting jumper to use the panel amp meter. So a short jumper wire solved the problem and all is now right with the world.

I'm getting ready to go into action with this thing in a few weeks and will remember to make the microphone "squeal". Thanks for reminding me of this hallowed tradition.  :o
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:04:13 PM by Mike Sokol »

Mike Sokol

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »

Uh... you're not looking for a UL label, right?

Here's what I bought new for $32.50 including shipping... I'll cut a hole in the Lexan cover and hang a few #2 gauge wires out of it that can feed the load bank. I'll need to split off separate ground and neutral wires that can attach directly to the service panel bus bars, but looks like this should do the trick. I also get a bonus current transformer I don't need, but I'm sure there will be a future experiment. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 04:54:29 PM »

Here's what I bought new for $32.50 including shipping... I'll cut a hole in the Lexan cover and hang a few #2 gauge wires out of it that can feed the load bank. I'll need to split off separate ground and neutral wires that can attach directly to the service panel bus bars, but looks like this should do the trick. I also get a bonus current transformer I don't need, but I'm sure there will be a future experiment.

So this is for a demo rig for a special project?  What scenarios are you presenting?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:27:00 PM by Mike Sokol »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »

So this is for a demo rig for a special project?  What scenarios are you presenting?

I can't talk specifics just yet, but at some point I'll be able to share details with you. Lots of measuring to do.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:27:21 PM by Mike Sokol »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 06:41:36 PM »

I can't talk specifics just yet, but at some point I'll be able to share details with you. Lots of measuring to do.

Uh huh... I see what you did there and I have a pretty good idea what's up.  I'll be patient.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 07:21:51 AM »

Uh huh... I see what you did there and I have a pretty good idea what's up.  I'll be patient.

Thanks.... You will be the last one to go.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 07:21:51 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.