ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The right amps for a JBL VT4886/83 rig  (Read 6272 times)

Riley Casey

Re: The right amps for a JBL VT4886/83 rig
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 10:46:14 pm »

To each his own. I found the v5 settings to be downright harsh with 4888s. Iím still using the V4 presets loaded into BSS366s as sounding much more pleasant for acoustic music.

Regarding the Powersoft "V5" presets, in my experience they are a bit darker than the official JBL presets and at lower volume in up close listening can sound a bit smoother.   

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 11:15:57 pm »

To each his own. I found the v5 settings to be downright harsh with 4888s. Iím still using the V4 presets loaded into BSS366s as sounding much more pleasant for acoustic music.

Hmmmm.  When we sent out the first full hangs of 4889/HD12000 V5 we went in a day early to measure and play and my reaction was the opposite.  It sounded much smoother from 2k5-6k ish than before (although I still found myself making a couple small dips) and much more even in the horizontal esp at the edge of coverage.  JBL got rid of the Icepick In the Forehead with V4, and 4.2 was In Your Face (more like trap boxes).  V5 wants to sing to me, not shout (although it can).  I love mixing acoustic music on our 4889 rigs. :D

"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 11:46:43 pm »

Hmmmm.  When we sent out the first full hangs of 4889/HD12000 V5 we went in a day early to measure and play and my reaction was the opposite.  It sounded much smoother from 2k5-6k ish than before (although I still found myself making a couple small dips) and much more even in the horizontal esp at the edge of coverage.  JBL got rid of the Icepick In the Forehead with V4, and 4.2 was In Your Face (more like trap boxes).  V5 wants to sing to me, not shout (although it can).  I love mixing acoustic music on our 4889 rigs. :D

Same for me.
We hung 144 VT4889ADPDA's (12 - 12 box hangs) in a stadium with v4 presets and then changed to v5.  A night and day improvement.  I had previously been a detractor of Vertec and, after hearing the change from v4 to v5 find them to be quite acceptable.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Riley Casey

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 09:37:20 am »

Perhaps its something about the 88s specifically, perhaps its the implementation of the v4 settings in the BSS DSP but the first time I crossed rented a number of 4888s with the built in power amps set up with v5 presets to supplement my inventory in a large multi hang show everyone in the room wondered what was wrong with the rented in boxes. 

Raul Suarez

• Third Ear Sound
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 01:09:32 pm »

Perhaps its something about the 88s specifically, perhaps its the implementation of the v4 settings in the BSS DSP but the first time I crossed rented a number of 4888s with the built in power amps set up with v5 presets to supplement my inventory in a large multi hang show everyone in the room wondered what was wrong with the rented in boxes.

The self powered 88 boxes do sound a bit different than the I-Tech powered 88's.  Were your boxes still on V4 when you supplemented?  I am assuming that you did not mix box types in the same hang?  Or did you?

We have been much happier with V5 than V4.  A distinct improvement that I thought every sound engineer would appreciate.
Raul Suarez
General Manager
Third Ear Sound

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 01:16:19 pm »

I suspect the amps on the 4888 were still on V4 processing (there's an emulation mode in V5 so you can "downgrade" to allow mixing new with old).  I further suspect there are differences between V4 on BSS and in the DrivePacs, for which the DSP is based on dbx processing (same as original I-Techs).
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Johan Falt

• http://www.lucas.se
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2018, 02:19:21 am »

I can only speak for myself. But when I tried V5 using Itech 4x3500hd on my 4887A rig. It was really a night and day difference. Especially in the high mid area. Also got the feeling that everything summed up much better. More sound came out of the box.

I think that v4.2 sounds good, still running on old itech. But with V5, I did not need to touch EQ at all.

I've done som show on 89's on V5 aswell, and it sounded amazing.

Andrew Roberts

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 11:41:01 am »

Hi Chad.  You don't absolutely need V5 presets, but you need to be running the correct Vertec presets, which are only supported on ITech amps, either the 1st gen (V4 only) or the 2nd gen.  The original ITech amps are pushing 10-years old and have poor parts availability, so unless you're extremely short on funds, you want ITech HD.

The ITech HD 4x3500 is less expensive per channel than the 2-channel models, and perfectly adequate.  If you set the system up with JBL Performance Manager, you won't need to worry about specific presets - you setup your array configuration in the software, map it to the amps as you have wired them, and it handles the presets.

By the way, I have run my 4886/4883 rig with ITech HD 12000s/4x3500s VERY LOUD and I've never had trouble with blown drivers, so I am very confident that this will not only fix your problem, but you will get a very significant quality upgrade.

Whoever sold you speakers without matching amps didn't do you any favors.

I agree with TJ. Depending on your array size and content, you could probably do it with one or two 4x3500s. They will sound so much better.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 10:22:41 pm »

We regularly run 4 box 4886 rigs with the 3x LT setting at 80hz (I think 80...).
They sound great. We use the iT12000. I almost never see much meter on the amps.
That said, we also have a few smaller go racks with 9000hdís, they too donít break a sweat. Personally I would not go with the 5k, especially if driving 4 boxes.

Actually, tonight we had a show where we have 3/side 4886 on the yokes as a nice SOS rig. Channel 2 on the itech started making a weird popping sound. Our engineer quickly shifted it and ran 6 boxes on one amp channel. Didnít break a sweat (the amp that is, my guy was sweating hard Iím sure)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 10:22:41 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.