ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The right amps for a JBL VT4886/83 rig  (Read 10845 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: The right amps for a JBL VT4886/83 rig
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 08:36:22 AM »

Audio Architect is the full meal deal and can control hundreds or thousands of HiQnet devices across an entire campus or venue complex and it isn't exactly "live-centric" until you configure control panels and workflow...  BUT it can also be used to load Device Files and set up/control individual devices, too .  If you've got a basic understanding of TCP/IP networking you should have no trouble... ::)
Audio Architect supports V5 presets, however only in certain configurations that JBL took the time to write a preset for.  If you want non-standard splits of 4886 and/or 4883, Performance Manager offers better flexibility.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 08:39:14 AM »

+1 for the Powersoft v5 presets, but I recommend using the newer X8 and X4 amps over the K3 mentioned in the link. They have a better sounding DSP than the K series. These amps have all the presets available in their Armonia software. I have also heard that they sound better than the Crowns.

By the way, these X amps have a huge variety of presets available for most major speaker manufacturers models. I would recommend getting such an amp and trying it out.
I have no first-hand experience with Powersoft, but unless the price is significantly cheaper than ITech HD 4x3500, I think sticking with OEM support is the way to go.  V5 sounds great on ITech HD, and whatever secret sauce Powersoft claims to have must be weighed against manufacturer support and integration.

chadlamson

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 10:24:39 AM »

Thank you for all of the amazing info! Great stuff. 2 questions left for you guys:

1.) The IT5000HD amp has more power than we are currently running, and we currently have more than enough volume. Is the 12000 necessary , or could we go with the 5000?

2.) When I setup my rig in Performance Manager, everything works great, until I get to the Set Speaker Tunings mode. The factory JBL presets only go up to 3 boxes, and I have 4 (per array). If I don't apply the speaker tunings here, does the software still run the V5 settings, or do they have to be applied in this step in Performance Manager? If the latter, how can I apply the setting to a 4 box setup?

Thanks again for all the help with this!!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:28:35 AM by chadlamson »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 11:09:24 AM »

Thank you for all of the amazing info! Great stuff. 2 questions left for you guys:

1.) The IT5000HD amp has more power than we are currently running, and we currently have more than enough volume. Is the 12000 necessary , or could we go with the 5000?

2.) When I setup my rig in Performance Manager, everything works great, until I get to the Set Speaker Tunings mode. The factory JBL presets only go up to 3 boxes, and I have 4 (per array). If I don't apply the speaker tunings here, does the software still run the V5 settings, or do they have to be applied in this step in Performance Manager? If the latter, how can I apply the setting to a 4 box setup?

Thanks again for all the help with this!!
The ITHD5000 is probably fine, but check the price on the 4x3500 - it may be cheaper than two ITHD5000s.

The reason the presets only go up to 3 boxes is that is the supported limit per channel for the 5000.  The 12000 allows for 4 boxes per channel.  In reality this is just to get maximum output out of the system.  If you are not running super loud, you will be fine choosing the 3 box preset for either the ITHD5000 or 4x3500 and just plugging 4 boxes in.  You will need a bit of corrective EQ, which is pretty trivial with a good measurement system.

chadlamson

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 11:38:27 AM »

The ITHD5000 is probably fine, but check the price on the 4x3500 - it may be cheaper than two ITHD5000s.

The reason the presets only go up to 3 boxes is that is the supported limit per channel for the 5000.  The 12000 allows for 4 boxes per channel.  In reality this is just to get maximum output out of the system.  If you are not running super loud, you will be fine choosing the 3 box preset for either the ITHD5000 or 4x3500 and just plugging 4 boxes in.  You will need a bit of corrective EQ, which is pretty trivial with a good measurement system.

I get the same options for presets using the 12000's as well. Even if you go to the JBL website, the highest the presets go is 3 boxes. I would prefer to stick with the JBL factory settings as much as possible, but looks like thats not possible with a 4 box setup. Some custom configuring may be my only option.

I can get the 9000's for $650 more than the 5000, so may be worth upgrading there. Don't think we'll need the 12000's though. We run very quiet compared to what these are capable of.

So to sum it up, if I go with 3x IT9000HD's, set it up through Performance Manager, and then just choose the 3 box Vertec preset (even though I have 4 boxes), I'll be good to go?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 11:50:10 AM »

I get the same options for presets using the 12000's as well. Even if you go to the JBL website, the highest the presets go is 3 boxes. I would prefer to stick with the JBL factory settings as much as possible, but looks like thats not possible with a 4 box setup. Some custom configuring may be my only option.

I can get the 9000's for $650 more than the 5000, so may be worth upgrading there. Don't think we'll need the 12000's though. We run very quiet compared to what these are capable of.

So to sum it up, if I go with 3x IT9000HD's, set it up through Performance Manager, and then just choose the 3 box Vertec preset (even though I have 4 boxes), I'll be good to go?
Yes.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 12:09:59 PM »

Chad,
The major (possible only) difference between the ST 1 -box - 2 box - 3 - box preset is in the LF shelf.  The less boxes, the more boost.  If you are running 4 boxes, either choose the ST3X or the LT preset, then apply further EQ as needed.   I personally, only use the LT preset (on all vertec boxes I encounter), and EQ to taste given the deployment.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

chadlamson

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 12:55:30 PM »

Chad,
The major (possible only) difference between the ST 1 -box - 2 box - 3 - box preset is in the LF shelf.  The less boxes, the more boost.  If you are running 4 boxes, either choose the ST3X or the LT preset, then apply further EQ as needed.   I personally, only use the LT preset (on all vertec boxes I encounter), and EQ to taste given the deployment.

Ahhh. Good info. Was trying to figure that out. That sure makes it easy then. Got the 3x IT9000HD's ordered. Just waiting on the new HF drivers to come in now. Excited to get a properly working system!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:17:22 PM by chadlamson »

Todd Friemuth

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 06:54:04 AM »

You can do a 4 box circuit in Performance Manager for the 86's. You just have to select "Custom" and jump 4 boxes together.

Keith Erickson

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 08:04:04 PM »

You can do a 4 box circuit in Performance Manager for the 86's. You just have to select "Custom" and jump 4 boxes together.

As noted before, the 1, 2, or 3 box presets are only for 1, 2, or 3 boxes in the short throw mode when being used as a fill or near field system.  When using four or more boxes in a hang, you should be using the LT Preset along with whatever HPF you want (FR, 80, 120, 160, 300).

Also remember the presets are referencing how many VT86 boxes are in the array  total, not how many are on an amp channel. 

Regarding the Powersoft "V5" presets, in my experience they are a bit darker than the official JBL presets and at lower volume in up close listening can sound a bit smoother.  In other words they demo really well in a customers warehouse while listening from 25' away.  When used in real world use they lack the detail i hear from the Crown version. 

I should note i have not heard the Powersoft tunings for the VT86 but my experience noted above has been the same on VT89 / VT88 / VT87A

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 08:04:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.