ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing plug from 220 to 110  (Read 8094 times)

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Changing plug from 220 to 110
« on: February 26, 2018, 02:59:10 PM »

I have just picked up a preowned Powersoft K10 amplifier. It has a power supply that can accept a 110 or 220 power source. It currently has a 220 plug on it. I would like to create a second cable with a 110 plug on it for easy testing and configuration at the house. I'm sure it's fairly straightforward but I wanted to get an easy to understand explanation on what I need to do.
Thank You

----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Changing plug from 220 to 110
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 04:18:11 PM »

Be aware the 110V line cord will carry 2x the current, so may involve more than a different plug end.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 04:36:33 PM »

Be aware the 110V line cord will carry 2x the current, so may involve more than a different plug end.

JR
John, that just confused me, which is why I'm here.
The power source of the amp is variable, no configuration changes required as it will auto detect the voltage.
To be clear, what I want to do is to be able to plug the amp into a 110 20amp outlet so I can test and configure. I'm still trying to get my head around high power equipment, distros, etc... so I want to learn properly and be safe. There are also electrical current limiters in the amp's DSP.
Lance Hallmark

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 04:55:13 PM »

John, that just confused me, which is why I'm here.
The power source of the amp is variable, no configuration changes required as it will auto detect the voltage.
To be clear, what I want to do is to be able to plug the amp into a 110 20amp outlet so I can test and configure. I'm still trying to get my head around high power equipment, distros, etc... so I want to learn properly and be safe. There are also electrical current limiters in the amp's DSP.
Read what I said...

It takes more current at 110V to makes the same power as at 220V

P=IxE (power = current times voltage).   Make the voltage 1/2 requires 2x the current to get the same power from the mains.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »

Read what I said...

It takes more current at 110V to makes the same power as at 220V

P=IxE (power = current times voltage).   Make the voltage 1/2 requires 2x the current to get the same power from the mains.

JR

OK, got it.
Mostly looking to do maintenance & configuration, not pulling large power out of the amp. If I was using it on a 110-20, I would have the limiter in the DSP set to under 20 amps. Eventual use will be a permanent install with 220 power.
Lance Hallmark

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 07:04:32 PM »

The amps nameplate should list an amp draw at a specific voltage, or a total watts power required (likely different than the amps rated output power).  That will tell you the size of cord needed.  Can you find and post that info?
Steve Swaffer

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 08:51:37 PM »

If by "test and configure" you mean turn it on and set up the DSP to get the desired response and limiter settings configured then there are no issues beyond wiring your adaptor cable correctly.  The amp will draw only idle current for these operations and a modern class D amp has very little inrush current at turn on.  If you plan to test output power into speaker loads with sine waves at anything near live music levels then you will see substantial current drawn from the wall circuit and could be in for some nasty results, melting wires, smoke, fire, that sort of thing. Thats what the previous responses are getting at.  Some quick googling should give you the European wire color equivalents for getting your adaptor wired correctly.

To be clear, what I want to do is to be able to plug the amp into a 110 20amp outlet so I can test and configure. ...

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 12:56:05 PM »

If by "test and configure" you mean turn it on and set up the DSP to get the desired response and limiter settings configured then there are no issues beyond wiring your adaptor cable correctly.  The amp will draw only idle current for these operations and a modern class D amp has very little inrush current at turn on.  If you plan to test output power into speaker loads with sine waves at anything near live music levels then you will see substantial current drawn from the wall circuit and could be in for some nasty results, melting wires, smoke, fire, that sort of thing. Thats what the previous responses are getting at.  Some quick googling should give you the European wire color equivalents for getting your adaptor wired correctly.
Correct, not putting any real draw on it, just checking it powers up and configuring the DSP. I just wanted to make sure I wire a new plug correctly. As stated, I'm new to the power side of things, the plug that is attached is actually a 120-30amp plug, an L5-30 locking plug. I just want to create a cable (or adapter) so I can plug it into a regular 110-15 amp outlet to configure DSP settings in my studio.
Lance Hallmark

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 01:28:11 PM »

I just want to create a cable (or adapter) so I can plug it into a regular 110-15 amp outlet to configure DSP settings in my studio.
Your standard 120/15A plug and amplifier will be protected from "melting wires, smoke, fire, that sort of thing" by the 15 or 20 amp breaker in your standard house wiring, same as when you run a microwave oven and a toaster off the same circuit...
Adapters the opposite way are unsafe.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 03:16:47 PM »

I have just picked up a preowned Powersoft K10 amplifier. It has a power supply that can accept a 110 or 220 power source. It currently has a 220 plug on it. I would like to create a second cable with a 110 plug on it for easy testing and configuration at the house. I'm sure it's fairly straightforward but I wanted to get an easy to understand explanation on what I need to do.
Thank You

I haven’t used this model powersoft amp but if it’s at all like the x4 I’ve worked on the manual will have your answers.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 03:16:47 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.