ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wide Range scanner for WWB  (Read 8322 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Wide Range scanner for WWB
« on: February 22, 2018, 06:13:44 PM »

Other than the AXT1600, are there any other wide-range scanners that will work with WWB directly? It would be something if there were an API to allow 3rd party devices to scan directly into WWB, as I would figure out a way to add my SDRPlay or RFExplorer...
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Scott Helmke

Re: Wide Range scanner for WWB
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 06:21:46 PM »

The AXT400 can be set to wideband scanning from within WWB. That's at least slightly cheaper than the AXT600.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 07:05:31 PM »

That's at least slightly cheaper than the AXT600.
Lol. The RF Explorer and SDRPlay are more than 30 times cheaper.
-Andy

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 11:19:16 PM »

...It would be something if there were an API to allow 3rd party devices to scan directly into WWB, as I would figure out a way to add my SDRPlay or RFExplorer...
Yeah, it certainly would be nice.

I just use Vantage with my RFExplorer and tap into whatever the mics are using to view the world with.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 12:44:34 PM »

I use a WinRadio scanner. It is a model WR-305e professional. It used to work with version 5 of WWB but they haven’t made version 6 so you can use the WinRadio Scanner directly in it.

I ran some tests to see how accurate the methods that I have been using are and determined that when using the WinRadio by itself I got accurate frequencies and when I use it (WinRadio) with Shure WWB 5 or use a Shure receiver with WWB 5 or 6 the frequencies it gives me can be as much as 250k off. So I use the WinRadio as the scanner with the WinRadio software so I can trust the results I get. There is a plugin for the WinRadio software called Hit Counter. The results can be manipulated in Excel and then imported into WWB. I have been told that I am being too fussy but it has worked for me. I wrote an Excel Macro that gets me close to how the scan file need to be and then I have to do some minor manual manipulation. I need to learn Excel macros better and then I should be able to automate the process better.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 01:48:47 PM »

Interesting, Kevin. I wonder how accurate the SDRPlay is vs WinRadio. (I'd forgotten about WinRadio, I thought they had gone out of business)
I just found this: https://github.com/nocarryr/rtlsdr-wwb-scanner which although not complete might be a step in the right direction.

Seems to me that Pete's page has some Excel sheets with macros for importing Scans. Have you looked at those?
http://www.bestaudio.com/downloads/
-Andy

Scott Helmke

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 04:47:41 PM »

FWIW, even when I have an AXT600 I don't tend to directly use the imported scans in WWB coordinations. Instead, I use the scan to figure out what TV stations are present and any other transmitters I can't control. Then I manually input the TV stations and other exclusions in WWB.

The reason for this is that WWB tends to look at TV station data as possibly being a whole bunch of wireless mics, and includes that in its intermod calculations. So if I was to import a busy scan with a lot of TV stations it would really cut down on the possible calculated wireless mic frequencies available.  This can make a huge difference at an event with a lot of channels of wireless audio.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »

There *is* a rather interesting new product from RF Venue, their "WaveTower", which might meet your needs. It's a little black box that goes on the Internet and has a built-in receiver for wideband scanning, and it uploads data to an account (free with limited capabilities or paid with more stuff) where you can log in, get WWB-compatible CSV files, etc. 

Kind of exciting because you could ship the box to a distant customer and do "onsite scanning" from your own office.

Base price for one of the WaveTower boxes is $899.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 02:44:44 AM »

It's not quite what you're looking for, but I cobbled together a Python script that uses my RF Explorer to scan from 470 MHz to 698 MHz in 10 MHz chunks (for better resolution) then dumps out the data in a format that WWB will open directly. It's not real-time (obviously), but the scans don't take much time to produce, and the execution is as simple as running the script, waiting for the result, and opening it in WWB.

-Russ

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 03:39:15 PM »

The reason for this is that WWB tends to look at TV station data as possibly being a whole bunch of wireless mics, and includes that in its intermod calculations. So if I was to import a busy scan with a lot of TV stations it would really cut down on the possible calculated wireless mic frequencies available.  This can make a huge difference at an event with a lot of channels of wireless audio.
Version 6.12 of WWB6 has options for categorizing scan peaks - like TV carriers - so that there is no spacing buffer AND it’s not considered in IMD calculation.

See Shure’s Advanced Techniques for RF Coordination webinar.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 03:39:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.