ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gate Help  (Read 1518 times)

scottstephens

Gate Help
« on: February 22, 2018, 01:48:36 PM »

Hey Everyone,

I'm working with a very mediocre drummer and a pretty average sounding set of drums so I'm trying/fighting to my job and guess what?  The drummer is rich and he is paying the bill, and it's a big one.  How fast do you guys set the attack and release on your tom gates and why?  Wow, he's getting worse as practice wears on. Please help. Just went to the stage; Kit is a Yamaha Stage Custom with a 12 in rack, a 14 in rack and a 16 in floor tom. The heads are fairly new, so it looks, Evans g2 heads.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 02:01:42 PM by scottstephens »

Geert Friedhof

Re: Gate Help
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 02:05:29 PM »

With very "dynamic" drummers i usually don't close-mic toms, and only use the overheads.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 02:08:41 PM by Geert Friedhof »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 02:19:04 PM »

Hey Everyone,

I'm working with a very mediocre drummer and a pretty average sounding set of drums so I'm trying/fighting to my job and guess what?
 How fast do you guys set the attack and release on your tom gates and why?  Wow, he's getting worse as practice wears on. Please help.
Scott,

Noise gates won't make a drum sound better, it will only require you to listen to it for less time, and (hopefully) one at a time. The "one at a time" feature is quite useful, but requires frequency dependent gating to be effective, otherwise the snare drum may open every gate every few hits with a "very mediocre drummer".

If you want to hear the "stick" sound, attack must be set as short as possible. Less stick, more "head", slow  the attack down. Release is generally set shorter for small toms, longer for big toms, and is dependent on the tempo of the song,the genre of the music, and how much reverberation you may want to add (or how much drum you might want to add to the reverb..).
A snappy, tiny tom might only need 50ms to "fit", a big floor tom could need a second (1000ms) or more to "breath".

Experiment.

Art

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 02:19:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.