ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: M32r basic routing question.  (Read 13100 times)

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Re: M32r basic routing question.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 10:37:02 PM »

Hi Mike!

Yes the stage boxes are cascaded. Aes50 A from m32r.  Into aes50A in dl16 set to 1-8.  Aes50B out of DL16 to aes50 a in the s16. S16 set to 9-16. +8 light is on in the front of the S16. Lock A and B is on for the DL16. Lock A for the S16. Both units show up in the M32r's routing page and solid lock. 

Routing is as pictured but here is my point. In the aes50 output routing 9-16 to the S16 something has to be routed for it to send it. For outputs 1-8 I have patched what I want to the local xlr outs and aes50A 1-8 out sends this to my dl16 with no problems. The m32r only has 2 blocks of 4 to assign bus/matrix/direct to. These can then be assigned to the aes50 outputs as/where needed.  How can I send 4 blocks of 4 for 16 total via aes50 to my 2 stage boes when the M32r only has a total of 8 outs to assign to the aes50a outs. Is this a design limitation of the smaller desk?

Thanks for the reply

Doug

I believe the "XLR out" routing tab is only for routing signal to the 8 physical XLR outputs on the console in groups of 4. In your case you have done that, then simply duplicated that routing to your DL16. The configuration that you need to do is in the "Out 1-16" tab. Ignore the asterisk and assign the mix buses to an output. Then assign the outputs on the aes50 tab.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 04:52:12 AM »

I believe the "XLR out" routing tab is only for routing signal to the 8 physical XLR outputs on the console in groups of 4. In your case you have done that, then simply duplicated that routing to your DL16. The configuration that you need to do is in the "Out 1-16" tab. Ignore the asterisk and assign the mix buses to an output. Then assign the outputs on the aes50 tab.

Thanks Mike;

Although an egg in the face moment I believe you may be spot on. I've been trying to get those * asterisk to go away. I thought that with those there I couldn't move forward and the AES50 outs wouldn't work....
      I have a double 10 hour shift today as co-workers have been out sick for days now. ( around 4:15 am here now ) I'll try to set everything up late tonight and give it a try. 

To recap.  In the routing view. Out 1-16 tab sets of course what you want bus/matrix/LR etc and how you want it sent ,pre/post etc. in each 1-16 output available and once done this is now available to be used in the XLR tab going where you want it. (in groups of 4)  In the Out Tab 1-16 also sets the point or is where the AES50 takes its signal from.  In the AES50"A" tab outputs 1-8 is the same as what is assigned in the Output 1-8 tab. Although these are labeled Analog outputs the AES50 still draws from this. Analog output 9-16 in this tab would be in AES50's output tab's 9-16.

I believe I've wrapped my head around it now. Please let me know if I'm heading down the wrong road.

My plan now.
1.  Call up a scene where I used my DL16 alone for inputs and outputs and swap out my DL16 for the new S16. Make sure I don't have a hardware problem with it.
2.  Shut down and reconnect the DL16-S16 and turn all on. Go into routing and redo it for the full 32 in 16 out as before.
3.  Try sending the L/R to the S16's 1 and 2 out. Very simple to do and check
4.  When this works patch my expected output requirements now to the S16 and check that everything works

I'm guessing this will all work but I'll post a report regardless. I'm doing a bunch of stuff this today so I may not get at it until late or the weekend.

Thanks again;

Douglas R. Allen

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 07:16:46 PM »

Came home and connected the S16 first. Inputs ,outputs worked as they should. Connected the 2 boxes together and all 32 inputs worked great as before.  Armed with the advice that Tim gave and following Mikes advice to just ignore the * sign I assigned 2 stereo linked bus send for IEM (outputs 1-4) and the L/R outs to the S16 and it worked without a hitch.

With the purchase of the M32r that was up and running in 1 day and the DL16 that took about 10 minutes to get up and running I am amazed I missed the most simple of things in the DL16/ S16 combo setup. Now all I can think is how simple and flexible it is to use.  Should anyone be reading this someday just ignore the * sign and patch and go.

Out for some crow dinner . 

Thanks again;
Douglas R. Allen

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:19:14 PM by Douglas R. Allen »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 07:30:46 PM »

Came home and connected the S16 first. Inputs ,outputs worked as they should. Connected the 2 boxes together and all 32 inputs worked great as before.  Armed with the advice that Tim gave and following Mikes advice to just ignore the * sign I assigned 2 stereo linked bus send for IEM (outputs 1-4) and the L/R outs to the S16 and it worked without a hitch.

With the purchase of the M32r that was up and running in 1 day and the DL16 that took about 10 minutes to get up and running I am amazed I missed the most simple of things in the DL16/ S16 combo setup. Now all I can think is how simple and flexible it is to use.  Should anyone be reading this someday just ignore the * sign and patch and go.

Out for some crow dinner . 

Thanks again;
Douglas R. Allen

I had to look at a physical mixer to remind myself, and yes... the * means there is _currently_ no physical connection assigned to the virtual output.  Not that it can't be done, only that it hasn't been done _yet_.

This was also the hurdle I couldn't get my brain to jump over, Douglas.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 07:55:18 PM »

I had to look at a physical mixer to remind myself, and yes... the * means there is _currently_ no physical connection assigned to the virtual output.  Not that it can't be done, only that it hasn't been done _yet_.

This was also the hurdle I couldn't get my brain to jump over, Douglas.

Thank you for the help. Another thing I missed at first was the default settings in the bus 9-16's send settings.  With 13-16 used as the first 4 effect sends they are set post fade so they set 9-12 post fade as well....My first fast test tonight gave no output . Then a quick look at the pre/post setting and a gezz moment.

Crow with ketchup really is not too bad.

Have a good evening;
Douglas R. Allen

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 08:15:53 PM »

Thank you for the help. Another thing I missed at first was the default settings in the bus 9-16's send settings.  With 13-16 used as the first 4 effect sends they are set post fade so they set 9-12 post fade as well....My first fast test tonight gave no output . Then a quick look at the pre/post setting and a gezz moment.

Crow with ketchup really is not too bad.

Have a good evening;
Douglas R. Allen

I like my crow with a spicy mustard.

I suggest the M32 Edit software on the laptop of your choice as the means of configuring sends and other stuff.  For some reason I couldn't understand why changing Mix 9 also changed Mix 10 when I did this on the console, but in the Edit software it was "DOH! Mixes configure in pairs only!"  It was more obvious on the computer for some reason.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 08:15:53 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.