ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: PK Sound Gravity 30 Subwoofer  (Read 18505 times)

Ted Christensen

Re: PK Sound Gravity 30 Subwoofer
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 07:57:37 PM »

As with any signal, if you weren't there when it was recorded, how DO you know?

I have had some sounds come out during these shows that had me running for the amps.  People ask why, and then tell me "That is the way it is supposed to sound".

OK, sounded like shreaded cones to me or HF diaphragms bottoming out.

I know it was the rig because the other room had similar size hang of jbl vertec 4889s and it was no contender who won with both rooms pushing edm.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 08:02:22 PM »

I'm glad to hear from Ivan and Ted that there are shows that aren't just about level. 
Here are what I consider "good guidelines" for levels at EDM type events.  Yes it can vary depending on a number of factors.

This is assuming a system that is truly flat to around 25Hz and has reasonable HF extension to 12-14KHz.

Around 100' away, 102-104 A slow and 125-130dB C fast is what you would measure on a simple SPL meter.

When designing a system, the peak SPL should be at least 10dB greater than those numbers.  15-20dB would be a better target, due to the abuse that these shows that often run non stop for 72 hours can do to a system in terms of heat build up.

It is a good idea to set thermal limiters at 1/4 continuous power.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2018, 11:51:11 AM »

I know it was the rig because the other room had similar size hang of jbl vertec 4889s and it was no contender who won with both rooms pushing edm.

Those could have been operator or "performer" choice and I think it more likely than the rig itself.  We had a PK rig come through for a promoter we've worked with and the venue reported 'nothing like this before'.  Building damage, noise complaints from much further away than usual, police show up to verify permits and licenses are in place before telling complainers there's nothing they can do.

Word from the venue manager was that SPL was predominately ELF/LF with the tops only a little louder than we would have typically run them for an EDM event in that room.  They also had to use the lighting electrical service as the 100 amp audio service was deemed inadequate...

I do not doubt that you were underwhelmed with what you heard but I'm unconvinced it was the system's fault for that impression.

Tim "VerTec defender" Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2018, 11:51:11 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.