ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas M32 routing question - slaving an aux out to main  (Read 6801 times)

Kurt Hutchison

Midas M32 routing question - slaving an aux out to main
« on: January 21, 2018, 11:10:17 PM »

In my other thread I mention I want to jettison the rental hall's mid-bass and sub speakers, one option is to use our own center-stage powered speaker to cover 200hz and down.

I POC'd it today and it was a significant improvement, but I wasn't able to get the mixer to do exactly what I want:

I want to send a signal with a high-pass at 80hz, and a low-pass at 200hz to one of the aux outs, and slave it's volume to the main, but with sliders so I can adjust the volume relative to the main out.

Since we use the 16 aux outs as monitor channels (mapped to channels 1-16), I just hijacked channel 12.  Sent all inputs to bus 4, channel 12 sourced to bus 4, and let it feed aux out 12 like always

That worked, except the volume for aux4 is independent of the main fader.

Tried to send the main channel to bus 4 post-fader (this would have been perfect), but nothing was sent, is that supposed to work?  Or is there another way to do this possibly?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Midas M32 routing question - slaving an aux out to main
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:26:04 PM »

Just set up a master DCA and assign all your channels to it. Now you have one main fader for volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 12:11:46 AM »

In my other thread I mention I want to jettison the rental hall's mid-bass and sub speakers, one option is to use our own center-stage powered speaker to cover 200hz and down.

I POC'd it today and it was a significant improvement, but I wasn't able to get the mixer to do exactly what I want:

I want to send a signal with a high-pass at 80hz, and a low-pass at 200hz to one of the aux outs, and slave it's volume to the main, but with sliders so I can adjust the volume relative to the main out.

Since we use the 16 aux outs as monitor channels (mapped to channels 1-16), I just hijacked channel 12.  Sent all inputs to bus 4, channel 12 sourced to bus 4, and let it feed aux out 12 like always

That worked, except the volume for aux4 is independent of the main fader.

Tried to send the main channel to bus 4 post-fader (this would have been perfect), but nothing was sent, is that supposed to work?  Or is there another way to do this possibly?
Go into sends on your main and send to matrix.  The matrix have all sorts of cool processing including Butterworth and LR filters.  You can then route each matrix to whatever outputs you want.

I am not in agreement with David's DCA suggestion as they have no processing.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 04:59:59 AM »

The matrix out is a good solution.
The "mono" or "centre" fader can be slaved to the master fader (via setup software selection) and then send the mono to a matrix.
Look under "setup"-"config"-"link preferences" and select "M/C depends on L/R"
Mono send available on each channel strip.

I'm still curious why you have to run your sub up to 200.
Are the main PA speakers THAT small?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 05:27:25 AM »

Go into sends on your main and send to matrix.  The matrix have all sorts of cool processing including Butterworth and LR filters.  You can then route each matrix to whatever outputs you want.

I am not in agreement with David's DCA suggestion as they have no processing.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

With 3.07 and 3.08 software versions you have Butterworth/LR etc. filters on the main L/R outs and Mono out. Handy to run a basic 2 way sub-L/R tops system.

Douglas R. Allen

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 11:48:19 AM »

The matrix out is a good solution.
The "mono" or "centre" fader can be slaved to the master fader (via setup software selection) and then send the mono to a matrix.
Look under "setup"-"config"-"link preferences" and select "M/C depends on L/R"
Mono send available on each channel strip.

I'm still curious why you have to run your sub up to 200.
Are the main PA speakers THAT small?

The other thread Kurt has open (looking for a mid-bass using small full range boxes) has a pic, the PA hang doesn't look *that* tiny but it's hard to say for sure.

I suspect whatever system processing is in use does a HPF on the mains.  If the sub under the stage makes for a big wash of resonant noise I think the installer just placed the filter to keep the mains from adding to the racket.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kurt Hutchison

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 04:45:22 PM »

I read up on matrix busses (always wondered what they were for), and they appear to do exactly what I want, thanks for the tip.

Kurt Hutchison

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »

Spent 2 hours with the board today, the matrix bus worked perfectly.  A bonus is I was able to use the matrix bus to do some tuning of the bass response (boosted a bit from 80-200hz).  It's a shared system and I don't have access to the DSP, the MTX bus did the trick.

That little boost obviated the need to use separate speakers, so the 'fix' ended up being a pure software tuning solution, fantastic, and thanks for all the help.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:40:19 PM by Kurt Hutchison »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.