ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking measurements for 3D Prediction Software  (Read 4254 times)

Jim McKeveny

Re: Taking measurements for 3D Prediction Software
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 12:17:01 PM »

With 3D prediction software now the norm

Is it? It is often pretty onscreen, but is it pretty reliable in use?

This is similar to RF: We can use intermod software, best practices, etc., but none of it will tell us what is truly present in the atmosphere. You gotta measure

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 12:29:28 PM »

Is it? It is often pretty onscreen, but is it pretty reliable in use?

This is similar to RF: We can use intermod software, best practices, etc., but none of it will tell us what is truly present in the atmosphere. You gotta measure

The only prediction software I use is L-Acoustic SoundVision, and it is very good. If the software says the coverage is good, it is. While I rarely use it, Meyer Sound's MAPP is also very good, but, at least the last time I used it it was not 3D.

As Ivan said products like SoundVision do not model the room, they model listening planes. You do not need all the measurements of the building, only the surfaces of the audience seating area.

Mac

Michael Gazdziak

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 08:01:13 PM »

It sounds like you are asking about a shed/amphitheater type venue.  Here's a way to figure out the "described angle" of the seating area: 
Find the spot up stage center where the lines of the edge of the seating area house left and house right meet.  The distance from DSC to this point is the adjacent side of the triangle.  Walk along the line of the edge of the seating area (the hypotenuse) toward DSR or DSL.  Measure the distance from the point on the DS edge to DSC.  This is the opposite side of the triangle.  tan^(-1) of opposite divided by adjacent is half of the angle of the seating area. 

With 3D prediction software now the norm, I was wondering what approaches people have for taking venue measurements? I'm looking at this from a touring, get off the bus, mark out, measure up and load in perspective, rather than drawing venues in pre-production from a CAD.

Whilst I find it easy and quick to measure up a 'standard' rectangular style arena, I'm interested in what people are doing for other shapes of venue, particularly  'clam shell' and curved shaped ones. My instinct here tells me to measure from a central position (say DSC), and measure a series of points with both X and Y distance and angles that I can quickly translate to the design software, but I don't currently have the ability to take the horizontal angle measurements required to make this work. In this instance I currently tend to take a series of cut slices at predefined spots across the width of the venue, but this takes time which when touring is a precious resource!

What are peoples strategies for this, and are there any handy tools I don't know about? I've seen the Leica S910 Pro Pack, which seems to be ideal, but are there any cheaper alternatives?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 08:01:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 6.184 seconds with 23 queries.