ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Architect - not keeping amp info  (Read 3213 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Audio Architect - not keeping amp info
« on: February 14, 2018, 08:13:31 PM »

I'm 99% sure the problem is me.  But, the 1% keeps me thinking it's something else.

Amps:  Crown MA9000i

1.  The amplifiers are connected to my home network; DHCP assigns each amp an address.  Audio Architect sees the amplifiers and I configure them.  Save config info; shutdown the amps and Audio Architect and all is good

2.  The amps are relocated from my home network to the amp rack.  Ooops... I forgot check on something in one of the amps. 

3.  With the amps in the rack, startup one of the amps; it's connected to the switch in the rack (closed network); start up Audio Architect (it too is connected to the switch).

4.  Audio Architect sees the one amplifier (it's assigned a different IP than the home network); I select the amp to check on a limiter setting... but nothing on the amp is saved from the session I just completed with it (on my home network).

Issue:
Nothing was saved to the amp.  it's almost as if the amp is "brand new" and was never configured.  It's as if on one network, the amp is configured a certain way, but not the same way on another network.

Question:  Can the amps (and Audio Architect) be moved between networks without issues?
Question:  Where did I mess up?  How do I save the amp info between networks?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Audio Architect - not keeping amp info
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 09:45:02 PM »

I'm 99% sure the problem is me.  But, the 1% keeps me thinking it's something else.

Amps:  Crown MA9000i

1.  The amplifiers are connected to my home network; DHCP assigns each amp an address.  Audio Architect sees the amplifiers and I configure them.  Save config info; shutdown the amps and Audio Architect and all is good

What did you save, and where?  Most likely you save a A.A. "venue" to the computer running A.A.
2.  The amps are relocated from my home network to the amp rack.  Ooops... I forgot check on something in one of the amps. 

3.  With the amps in the rack, startup one of the amps; it's connected to the switch in the rack (closed network); start up Audio Architect (it too is connected to the switch).

4.  Audio Architect sees the one amplifier (it's assigned a different IP than the home network); I select the amp to check on a limiter setting... but nothing on the amp is saved from the session I just completed with it (on my home network).

<sigh>

There is a workflow involved.  When you connect to a network with discoverable devices, A.A. should offer to populate a new, empty venue "room" with the discovered devices.  It is then necessary for you to click the "Go Online" tab and A.A. then displays the amps and an R or S.  You need to select R (receive from network).  Once the devices are synchronized you can open the individual amplifiers.
Issue:
Nothing was saved to the amp.  it's almost as if the amp is "brand new" and was never configured.  It's as if on one network, the amp is configured a certain way, but not the same way on another network.

Question:  Can the amps (and Audio Architect) be moved between networks without issues?
Question:  Where did I mess up?  How do I save the amp info between networks?

You didn't save, in the amplifier, the changes you made to the amplifier preset(s) although they should have remained in place after power down.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:10:36 PM »

There is a workflow involved.  When you connect to a network with discoverable devices, A.A. should offer to populate a new, empty venue "room" with the discovered devices.  It is then necessary for you to click the "Go Online" tab and A.A. then displays the amps and an R or S.  You need to select R (receive from network).  Once the devices are synchronized you can open the individual amplifiers.
You didn't save, in the amplifier, the changes you made to the amplifier preset(s) although they should have remained in place after power down.

It sounds like he made changes while offline, and never pushed them to the amp.  In which case you would want to hit S( to send that information to the amp).     

Some people are diehard "R" guys, while I am always an "S" guy. I always have the venue file, and I have been bitten by bugs with Driverack 4800s and Bridge iTechHDs, that have gone unresolved for years (despite reporting them multiple times)
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 10:23:08 PM »

What did you save, and where?  Most likely you save a A.A. "venue" to the computer running A.A.
<sigh>

Thanks.

This is exactly what I thought I did; a few times before moving the amplifiers to the rack, I would make changes and "save" them.  Then power-down the amps; next day, power them up (all this is while they are on my home network), and the changes were saved. 

--sigh-- I'll restart my process (workflow) on them again.  Having been in the UNIX world for almost 30 years, I find "applications" very confusing/exhausting to use.  If these amps had a command-line interface, I don't think I would be posting anything here!

Moving forward, I'll start from the beginning and audit my actions.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:29:40 PM »

Thanks.

This is exactly what I thought I did; a few times before moving the amplifiers to the rack, I would make changes and "save" them.  Then power-down the amps; next day, power them up (all this is while they are on my home network), and the changes were saved. 

--sigh-- I'll restart my process (workflow) on them again.  Having been in the UNIX world for almost 30 years, I find "applications" very confusing/exhausting to use.  If these amps had a command-line interface, I don't think I would be posting anything here!

Moving forward, I'll start from the beginning and audit my actions.

What do you mean by "save" them?  The "S" and "R" when you go online is for send and receive. You haven't mentioned anything about "going online" which is something you don't have to do with System Architect, but do have to do with Audio Architect.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 12:11:01 PM »

What do you mean by "save" them?  The "S" and "R" when you go online is for send and receive. You haven't mentioned anything about "going online" which is something you don't have to do with System Architect, but do have to do with Audio Architect.
I guess it was implied that I went "online".  The "save" was the sending of the changes to the amplifier.  As mentioned before, I'm going to work through the process with more attention to the details of what needs to be done.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 12:54:27 PM »

I guess it was implied that I went "online".  The "save" was the sending of the changes to the amplifier.  As mentioned before, I'm going to work through the process with more attention to the details of what needs to be done.

Well... if you made changes to a "live" amp - one that was powered up and connected to an online session of Audio Architect - then the amp would remain in that state until a new preset was called up from the front panel; or the amp was "syncronized" or "sent" (as in the transitive verb) another device or preset file by an Audio Architect venue file; or was manually edited by the user.

The work flow is basically this:

If your amps are set to use DHCP, they will default to a Private IP address if no DHCP server is found.  So long as your computer will do the same (which should be the default if it doesn't find a DHCP server), after a minute or so your computer will figure out there's no DHCP and default to the private address and A.A. should recognize the amplifier and either add it to the open "venue room" or offer to do so with discovered devices.  You want this to happen.

Next you need to click on the "Go Online" tab.  Because of the auto-add you will not need to use "Associate Amplifiers" or "Match Devices" tabs.... after a few seconds you will have control of the amplifier by A.A.  If offered an S or R choice pick R for "receive from network".  Double click on the amplifier icon to open it for configuration or changes.

Do whatever you're going to do and then using the open amplifier image, use the "Save" button on the preset recall to store your changes in the amp itself.  You may need to pick a new preset name and possibly delete unused presets if you need a memory slot to store in.  If you do this you'll not need to again connect A.A. to the amp until you need to make other changes or load new device/preset files.

If you have all the amps (both, in your case) in the venue room you can save the "Venue" when you close A.A.  In the future when you connect those amps to A.A. using the Venue file, you will be prompted to send the venue file to the amps (which should include your saved presets) or receive the files & status from the amps back to A.A.  If you chose send, whatever changes might have been made will be deleted and your saved presets and configuration will be sent to the amps.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 12:54:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.