ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Attempt at Compression  (Read 8653 times)

Jerome Malsack

Re: First Attempt at Compression
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 03:54:04 PM »

Sorry, guys.  My intent is not to ignore what you're saying.  I've even made my own word document based on this thread and I've been taking notes for later reference.  I appreciate all of your help.

The preacher is not peaking any more.  As I said in a previous post, we've turned down the wireless receiver gain, and the gain on my mixer, and we've solved that.

I was merely using that to prove the validity of my question.  Why would I want an additional gain?  That's all I was trying to do.

But never mind.  Maybe that was too novice of a question.  haha. 

Thank you all again for your help.  Your wealth of knowledge is an amazing help to me here in my small-town church.
EX- If you've got an input that's routinely -6dB into reduction and you raise the "make up gain" +6dB to compensate, everything will *acoustically* stay the same.  When the signal drops below threshold and the compressor is no longer compressing, you have all the channel/mix gain PLUS that 6dB of make up gain added in and possibly (likely) have feedback. 

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 03:56:35 PM »

So instead of using the Compressors make up gain.  Just keep it at 0 for now.  Then when you have time test his wireless and the make up gain on the compressor.  start by adding 3 db.  If your testing on his wireless gear has trouble back it back down to 0 db. 

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 04:00:06 PM »

The compressor will keep his voice from going into peaks. 
Dont set the compressor threshold to low.  should be around -20 to -25.
if the gain is at -18 on the digital. 

The compressor with gain setting was for use in a studio, not live sound.
From what I see and read from the people explaining.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 04:38:06 PM »

Sorry, guys.  My intent is not to ignore what you're saying.  I've even made my own word document based on this thread and I've been taking notes for later reference.  I appreciate all of your help.

The preacher is not peaking any more.  As I said in a previous post, we've turned down the wireless receiver gain, and the gain on my mixer, and we've solved that.

I was merely using that to prove the validity of my question.  Why would I want an additional gain?  That's all I was trying to do.

But never mind.  Maybe that was too novice of a question.  haha. 

Thank you all again for your help.  Your wealth of knowledge is an amazing help to me here in my small-town church.

Word doc?  That seems like overkill. 

I see part of the problem is we use vocabulary that is industry specific so you are not quite sure what we are trying to communicate.

Second, I think that your fundamentals on gain staging may be weak so this is stretching the whole knowledge chain.

One thing is that you need to not be so literal with settings.  You need to set by ear, you can't set by value.

Playback some program and adjust the compressor, make big adjustments so you hear what the settings do.  Once you associate the controls with the audible result the compressor then becomes just another tool in your chest.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 04:43:00 PM »

So instead of using the Compressors make up gain.  Just keep it at 0 for now.  Then when you have time test his wireless and the make up gain on the compressor.  start by adding 3 db.  If your testing on his wireless gear has trouble back it back down to 0 db.

That makes sense.  I've actually got it set at 3db and it seems to be working fine.  We've never had even the slightest bit of feedback. 

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 05:09:00 PM »

This, except for 1 point. Just keep it at zero and forget there is such a thing as "make up gain". I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have had to use make up gain in over 40 years of using compressors in live sound.

Mac

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 09:01:23 PM »

Since typical above threshold compressors reduce gain above threshold, make up gain is often added inside the compressor path to restore nominal loudness vs the uncompressed signal.

JR

Maybe the OP confuses gain with volume?
Remember the old volume control?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 09:01:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.