ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-Tripod Speaker Stands  (Read 12535 times)

David Allred

Re: Non-Tripod Speaker Stands
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 04:53:44 PM »

One element of using a circular base is that it is very difficult to level on an uneven surface as compared to a tripod, especially a tripod with an adjustable leg such as the Global ST-132 that accounts for uneven surfaces.

To boot, a flat piece of metal that size ain't flat (without paying a huge (HHUUUGGGEEEE) amount of money).  Wobble city.  2nd to boot, floors ain't flat.  3 contact points is the only way to avoid a wobble, so the round plate will still need 3 rubber feet.  Back to being a tripod, a very sleek low-profile heavy tripod nonetheless. :) 

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 05:10:30 PM »

. . .I'm wondering if there's something like this that will hold that much weight. . .

I have the K&M 480mm square bases with 26736 distance rods. I use them with RCF TT52a speakers. They go way up and are small enough to squeeze into a corner. While this setup is rated to hold the weight of your JBL tops, I would be remiss to put that much weight that far up because of leverage issues already mentioned. I use the setup for wedding ceremonies and such where there will be no foot traffic nearby. Tripods for anything else.

Column array with a sub would be my preference if I needed to get louder and be on a dance floor. Get more low end having the sub on the floor and easier to set up with smaller tops going up.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 11:14:34 PM »

Yes, my ultimate plan is to eventually get two SRX818SP subs to go with my current system for larger events, and a smaller column array system for smaller events. Unfortunately that's a lot of money for my small sole proprietor business that does 40-50 events per year as a side job! :o

Good call. Thanks.

I can't stand the glowing teepee look. It's terrible. See what I did there? ;) I've considered just getting some black fabric to cover the tripod legs instead though.

I have both white and black covers for tripod stands.
Wedding receptions get the white with a soft glow of the bride’s color.

Corporate gets black.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 01:17:20 PM »

Concerning the round base:

I also wonder when it does get pushed past the point of no return; does the base becomes a wheel and the speaker might go in any direction at that point?
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 01:27:46 PM »

I also wonder when it does get pushed past the point of no return; does the base becomes a wheel and the speaker might go in any direction at that point?
I would  expect the speaker (load) to be in such a hurry to reach the ground, that the shape of the base won't mean much.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2018, 03:43:33 PM »

Kind of like Fred Astair (or was it Gene Kelley) dancing with the mic stand.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2018, 09:53:50 PM »

I have both white and black covers for tripod stands.
Wedding receptions get the white with a soft glow of the bride’s color.

Corporate gets black.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

And they look incredible. Just ask my daughter.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 07:35:03 AM »

It will, especially if it "wiggles" back and forward or side to side or any direction for that matter.
But it won't be much and I believe the height of the pole in relation to the size of the base also has an influence.

OH and don't ask why I know

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 02:56:56 PM »

While I still use tripods (Older Hamilton steel leg units) on some events, for the most part I use Altman 55 pound bases and steel pipe. The bases take a 1 1/2” pipe and I made some reducer couplings to 1” pipe to fit the speakers. A small wrap of gaff around the 1” pipe makes the fit snug.

For heavier speakers on tall pipes I put some sandbags on the base and cover the sandbags with a piece of cloth like some banjo drape. I always have a bunch of banjo on gigs to dresss things up.

My corporate clients like the look of the pipe and base stands and I never have a tripod leg sticking out in the walkway to trip over. 

I made different height pipes for various speakers.

The picture shows a Renkus-Heinz RH62, Carvin 3903 columns, Ramsdell 10CX coax monitor and Alto 15” Truesonic cabs on the stands. I also use the stands with my Danley SM60s and smaller Altos.

Craig

Sent from my iPad
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 02:56:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.