ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-Tripod Speaker Stands  (Read 12540 times)

David Allred

Re: Non-Tripod Speaker Stands
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 02:17:11 PM »

white spandex can be stretched over and clipped in the back (no need for those expensive, never the right length, always running like panty hose, pre-made ones. 

Good idea.  Will spandex allow that glow effect when back lit?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 03:49:28 PM »

Good idea.  Will spandex allow that glow effect when back lit?

White or light gray works well.  Put a small LED fixture inside the truss at the base.  If the beam is too narrow use a piece of wax paper (from the grocery store, nothing fancy) as a diffuser.  If you light from the inside you can use the binder clip method Scott mentions (clips on the upstage side) and nobody will see them from the front or sides.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 05:37:36 PM »

If you are doing mostly weddings, you should consider moving away from traditional speakers and go with a column array.
It does not matter how good looking you think your box speakers are, they stand out like a sore thumb at a wedding.
Almost every manufacturer has a fully self contained column array system. Some even offer theirs in white.
A column array with it's companion sub will eliminate your need for a speaker stand or tripod.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 09:43:32 PM »

What about buying some subs with poles? Might improve your sound, and eliminates the need for stands

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 09:45:25 PM »

Years ago I was using SRX722's for vocals, and 725's for backline. Really hard to elevate the 722's in a manner that looked professional and was secure and strong, easy to use and compact.

My answer came in the form of keyboard stands similar to those at the link below. All you need to do is cut a piece of 1/2 plywood that fits under the speaker, paint it black, put clips on the bottom to engage the stand cross arms, and you're good to go.

Notice that the stands here, and the stands I used close up and lock to a point where the opening at the top of the "X" can be as little as 1 foot wide.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XStdDbl?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9Macz7Ck2QIVULbACh2TOwZkEAYYBSABEgKkIvD_BwE
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:47:28 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 03:37:50 AM »

What about buying some subs with poles? Might improve your sound, and eliminates the need for stands

+1

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 04:02:35 AM »

If you have the space in the trailer you might want to look for some really cheap smaller used subwoofers with pole mounts on Craigslist and repaint them.

I was going to suggest subs too.  Even if they are not in use, they provide a more sturdy base and often in the eyes of guests/customers, mark out a 'do not enter' area which stands don't.

Steve.

Chris Poynter

• www.chrispoynter.ca
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 08:39:56 AM »

If you are doing mostly weddings, you should consider moving away from traditional speakers and go with a column array.

Yes, my ultimate plan is to eventually get two SRX818SP subs to go with my current system for larger events, and a smaller column array system for smaller events. Unfortunately that's a lot of money for my small sole proprietor business that does 40-50 events per year as a side job! :o

If your "feel safe" tripods have a leg spread of 5 feet, well, that's your plate size.
No math required. Add plants, and you're all set.

Good call. Thanks.

What about those pole covers that stretch to cover the tripod.  They come in white and can be back-lit?

I can't stand the glowing teepee look. It's terrible. See what I did there? ;) I've considered just getting some black fabric to cover the tripod legs instead though.

Marc Sibilia

• Princeton, New Jersey
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 09:29:07 AM »

If your "feel safe" tripods have a leg spread of 5 feet, well, that's your plate size.
No math required. Add plants, and you're all set.

If the plate is a circle, it can be half the diameter and have the same stability.  A tripod tipping on two legs has half the base distance as a tripod tipping up on one leg (which never happens).

If you make a 5 foot circular plate, it is twice as stable as a tripod with a 5 foot spread.  It is also ridiculously large.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 10:00:42 AM »

Unfortunately that's a lot of money for my small sole proprietor business that does 40-50 events per year as a side job! :o

At 40-50 events/year, there should be money.  My gut feeling is you are not charging enough.  If the clients expect higher quality and you make the investment to deliver it, then they should pay more for it.

-Dennis

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 10:00:42 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.