ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-Tripod Speaker Stands  (Read 12534 times)

Chris Poynter

• www.chrispoynter.ca
Non-Tripod Speaker Stands
« on: February 12, 2018, 11:09:04 PM »

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking for an alternative to my tripod stands for my JBL SRX 815p speakers (they weigh 63 lb each) and I'm wondering if there's something like this that will hold that much weight.

Thanks!

Christopher

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Non-Tripod Speaker Stands
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:14:28 PM »

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking for an alternative to my tripod stands for my JBL SRX 815p speakers (they weigh 63 lb each) and I'm wondering if there's something like this that will hold that much weight.

Non-tripod stands are likely to be heavier that tripods to have the same stability. Depending on the types of shows you do, pipe and base like what's used for lighting works well, or truss on a base plate. Under the right circumstances you get the lighting dept to provide them.

Mac

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:45:44 PM »

Global Truss/Dura Truss has a top plate for their 12" box truss that has a 35mm pin for speaker mounting purposes.   They have 30" aluminum and a 36" steel base plate options.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 12:20:44 AM »

Global Truss/Dura Truss has a top plate for their 12" box truss that has a 35mm pin for speaker mounting purposes.   They have 30" aluminum and a 36" steel base plate options.

Don't even think about aluminum plates.  I made that mistake too.

The problem with steel is the shipping.  Get enough to justify a pallet load if you can. 

Even with the steel I feel better with 2 or 3 - 25lb sand bags on them. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Poynter

• www.chrispoynter.ca
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:03:19 AM »

Thanks guys.

I've seen people put their speakers on box truss totems before, and that's definitely an option. I wonder if I could use 4" or 8" truss though, because I think the speaker on 12" box truss is a little bit much, if that makes sense?

I would prefer to avoid sandbags if possible. This is for wedding DJ gigs, and I want it to look suuuuuper slick. I always have the speakers on either side of my table, or in low-traffic areas, so it's rare for me to see anyone touch them, much less come near them. For events where they'll be in higher traffic areas, I think I'd stick to the tripods. Safety first! ;)

If I used a pipe, or some smaller-diameter (4" or 8") box truss, and had it about 5.5 - 6 feet tall with the speaker (63 lbs) on top, how heavy do you figure the base plate should be for it to be as stable as my tripod stands?

Maybe I'll have to try to get something custom-made...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 10:33:27 AM »

Thanks guys.

I've seen people put their speakers on box truss totems before, and that's definitely an option. I wonder if I could use 4" or 8" truss though, because I think the speaker on 12" box truss is a little bit much, if that makes sense?

I would prefer to avoid sandbags if possible. This is for wedding DJ gigs, and I want it to look suuuuuper slick. I always have the speakers on either side of my table, or in low-traffic areas, so it's rare for me to see anyone touch them, much less come near them. For events where they'll be in higher traffic areas, I think I'd stick to the tripods. Safety first! ;)

If I used a pipe, or some smaller-diameter (4" or 8") box truss, and had it about 5.5 - 6 feet tall with the speaker (63 lbs) on top, how heavy do you figure the base plate should be for it to be as stable as my tripod stands?

Maybe I'll have to try to get something custom-made...

The ancients of algebra and geometry have formulas for these things...

But... while I understand the "look" need for Bridezilla and Momzilla, they'd get ever so cross with you (Shirley Temple moment, sorry) if one of their drunk guests tipped something over and created a disturbance on the Special Day.  Because it's all your fault, not Uncle Henry's 23rd trip to the open bar...

The trick to sandbags is plants and flowers.  Seriously.  Or lots of pretty fabric treatment (fireproofed or IFR, of course)...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Allred

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:59:32 AM »

What about those pole covers that stretch to cover the tripod.  They come in white and can be back-lit?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 12:11:59 PM »

The ancients of algebra and geometry have formulas for these things...

But... while I understand the "look" need for Bridezilla and Momzilla, they'd get ever so cross with you (Shirley Temple moment, sorry) if one of their drunk guests tipped something over and created a disturbance on the Special Day.  Because it's all your fault, not Uncle Henry's 23rd trip to the open bar...

The trick to sandbags is plants and flowers.  Seriously.  Or lots of pretty fabric treatment (fireproofed or IFR, of course)...

Tim is dead on.  Some type of visual treatment.  Truss warmers are very nice and for a more elegant use, white spandex can be stretched over and clipped in the back (no need for those expensive, never the right length, always running like panty hose, pre-made ones. 

Also your speakers need to be taller than the tallest person or a little more and tilted down.  The advantage of the truss is you can walk them up once assembled on ground.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 12:21:13 PM »

If your "feel safe" tripods have a leg spread of 5 feet, well, that's your plate size.
No math required. Add plants, and you're all set.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »

Hello Everyone!

Thanks!

Christopher

If you have the space in the trailer you might want to look for some really cheap smaller used subwoofers with pole mounts on Craigslist and repaint them. Might be cheaper that having something custom made and doesn't have big foot print. I found one today for $60.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.