ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Options for audio USB playback interface  (Read 9765 times)

Thomas Le

Re: Options for audio USB playback interface
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »

Thanks for all the responses.  Anyone have any experience with the Whirlwind PCUSB? 

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/transformers-isolation-devices/pc-usb

Just bought the pcUSB a few weeks ago, works great! Very compact and is transformer isolated (though I had to email whirlwind on this to confirm.)

Woody Nuss

• Santa Monica, CA
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 01:44:04 PM »

How does that not just break the USB jacks right off the motherboard?!

And no usable specs anywhere on the Amazon listing.  "StageMASTER" is a ProCo name, but nothing like that on their site.

Here's the site link: http://www.stagemastergear.com/product/140/usb-xlrm-adaptor

I have been using this for corporate events instead of the headphone output from clients' laptops. I just loop the xlr cable under something to prevent it from falling or placing downward pressure on the laptop.
It has worked very well so far and self-diagnosed every laptop so far. These are typically spoken word or photo shows with backing tracks. I have not investigated its stereo/mono capabilities, I assume it sums to mono like the stereo mini version it replaced.(photo below)
  http://www.rapcohorizon.com/product/223/laptop-blox 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:08:18 PM by Woody Nuss »

Joris Jans2

• Vester Theater Techniek
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 03:08:49 PM »

i've used a steinberg UR22 but had problems with audio cutouts, aparently a common problem, see also their own website https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=96319
besides above problem, i noticed that audio output will distort when master set to anything above 3'o clock.
also have experience with an Focusrite Saffire USB (both USB 1.1 & USB 2.0 models/revisions) but they color the sound too much for me.
after that i bought an Roland Duo Capture EX and very happy with that, works flawless for the last 1.5 yrs, can reccommand it highly

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 03:24:54 PM »

In response to the last 2 posts, the OP requires 2 channel device, not single and doesn't need audio capture, just playback.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 04:07:23 PM »

I'm looking for options for playback interfaces for audio.  What i'm looking for is an interface that plugs into USB and will give me balanced outputs (XLR or TRS).  I am familiar with the Peavey USB-P.  I have also seen the Radial USB-Pro.  I was just curious of any recommendations of other interfaces.  I did a search on here and found a thread from 2011 about this.  Considering that was 7 years ago I thought there may be better options now.  Thanks.
The Roland Octacapture is a nice little interface that won't break the bank. It has more features than just outputs, but that may not be a bad thing since it increases the number of ways you can use it.

I own and use the Radial USB DI and have not had any issues with RFI. I wish there was a way to lock the USB connection (sort of like the wire gate you find on some D-plug/IEC connectors ), but some gaff tape usually fixes that issue.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 04:53:02 PM »

All of our Peavy USB DIs simply have the USB cable tie wrapped to the case.  Unplug before transport , wrap the cable around the DI and they stay that way til the USB cable wears out.

I wish there was a way to lock the USB connection (sort of like the wire gate you find on some D-plug/IEC connectors ), but some gaff tape usually fixes that issue.

John Schalk

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »

....I changed the usb cable from the Peavey to the Mac, no difference, still dropping.  I tried an old Tascam 122 and it works fine with no drops. I've checked my audio cables, no problems.   Since the audio outputs fine to the analog headphone jack and it outputs fine to the 122 I don't believe it to be a software problem.  This Mac Mini is used exclusively for music playback, nothing else.

We have had some issues with the USB ports on our MacBook Pros going bad.  I think they get loose over time and so lose connection to the connected device momentarily.  From your trouble shooting steps, that's probably not your issue, but if you were always plugging into the same USB port on the Mini for audio, perhaps you should try one of the other three?

I have an M-audio Fastrack Pro.  Works fine, but kind of bulky for your use case.  Also, only has 1/4" outputs.  I like it because I can power it with a wall wart and use it as a tiny mixer that has phantom power. 

Ivan Feder

• Paris, France
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 02:37:58 AM »

This is by far the best USB interface i’ve come across: no drivers, transformer balanced outputs:
https://www.fohhn.com/index.php?id=57&L=1&tx_fohhnproducts_pi1%5Bfohhnproducts%5D=667&cHash=a5d2a6066ad458bcd71099d20efd3b99

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 07:37:35 AM »

I thought there may be better options now.  Thanks.

My favorites are Blackdog Audio with 2 transformer outputs and
AudioBox with 2 in and 2 out with transformers.  Both use standard drivers and are powered via usb.

http://www.blackdogaudio.net/   $165
http://www.arx.com.au/worldwide/audibox_usb_io.htm   $374.oo
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 07:37:35 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.