ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Options for audio USB playback interface  (Read 9768 times)

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC
    • Moxley Production Services
Options for audio USB playback interface
« on: February 12, 2018, 09:40:12 AM »

I'm looking for options for playback interfaces for audio.  What i'm looking for is an interface that plugs into USB and will give me balanced outputs (XLR or TRS).  I am familiar with the Peavey USB-P.  I have also seen the Radial USB-Pro.  I was just curious of any recommendations of other interfaces.  I did a search on here and found a thread from 2011 about this.  Considering that was 7 years ago I thought there may be better options now.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:22:47 AM by LeVan Moxley »

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Options for audio USB playback interface
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:05:26 AM »

I'm looking for options for playback interfaces for audio.  What i'm looking for is an interface that plugs into USB and will give me balanced outputs (XLR or TRS).  I am familiar with the Peavey USB-P.  I have also seen the Radial USB-Pro.  I was just curious for any recommendations of other interfaces.  I did a search on here and found a thread from 2011 about this.  Considering that was 7 years ago I thought there may be better options now.  Thanks.

What are you looking for that the above mentioned products don't give you?

Jason Joseph

• Vibrant Soundz
    • VibrantSoundz.net
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 10:07:18 AM »

Nope pretty much the same..

Behringer U-PHORIA UMC202HD
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Steinberg UR22mkII

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 10:19:02 AM »

What are you looking for that the above mentioned products don't give you?

I've had some problems with a Peavey and have only read about the Radial, but have not used one.  I have seen the Peavey mentioned in multiple write-ups.  I understand it's appeal for it's inexpensive price point.  I don't doubt that the Radial is probably excellent build quality and would work great.  I was just hoping to get recommendations of other interfaces that people have had success with. 

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 10:23:02 AM »

I've had some problems with a Peavey and have only read about the Radial, but have not used one.  I have seen the Peavey mentioned in multiple write-ups.  I understand it's appeal for it's inexpensive price point.  I don't doubt that the Radial is probably excellent build quality and would work great.  I was just hoping to get recommendations of other interfaces that people have had success with.
What kind of problems with the Peavey?
I have been using one for quite a few years and no issues.
Hard to beat for the price.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 10:54:26 AM »

What kind of problems with the Peavey?
I have been using one for quite a few years and no issues.
Hard to beat for the price.

Audio cutting in and out.  I've had the Peavey about 3 years.  Running it on a Mac Mini.  I started to get dropped audio.  The player still shows output, but intermittent output from the interface.  I can switch to headphone jack output with no drops.  I changed the usb cable from the Peavey to the Mac, no difference, still dropping.  I tried an old Tascam 122 and it works fine with no drops. I've checked my audio cables, no problems.   Since the audio outputs fine to the analog headphone jack and it outputs fine to the 122 I don't believe it to be a software problem.  This Mac Mini is used exclusively for music playback, nothing else.  Rebooted computer, no change.  The only thing I'm left with is the interface.  I thought I would purchase another interface and see if that fixes this problem.  That'a why I'm looking for recommendations.

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »

I'm looking for options for playback interfaces for audio.  What i'm looking for is an interface that plugs into USB and will give me balanced outputs (XLR or TRS).  I am familiar with the Peavey USB-P.  I have also seen the Radial USB-Pro.  I was just curious of any recommendations of other interfaces.  I did a search on here and found a thread from 2011 about this.  Considering that was 7 years ago I thought there may be better options now.  Thanks.

After a similar search and trial of several products suggested in that same thread,  I purchased the Radial... ground lift , iso transformers ,master volume and headphone amp have been invaluable, it all just works and it's virtually indestructible, highly recommended.....

Ray

Woody Nuss

• Santa Monica, CA

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 02:52:47 PM »

Audio cutting in and out.  I've had the Peavey about 3 years.  Running it on a Mac Mini.  I started to get dropped audio.  The player still shows output, but intermittent output from the interface.  I can switch to headphone jack output with no drops.  I changed the usb cable from the Peavey to the Mac, no difference, still dropping.  I tried an old Tascam 122 and it works fine with no drops. I've checked my audio cables, no problems.   Since the audio outputs fine to the analog headphone jack and it outputs fine to the 122 I don't believe it to be a software problem.  This Mac Mini is used exclusively for music playback, nothing else.  Rebooted computer, no change.  The only thing I'm left with is the interface.  I thought I would purchase another interface and see if that fixes this problem.  That'a why I'm looking for recommendations.

Check that the xlr cables don’t have pin 1 connected to the shell. .?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ade Stuart

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 03:11:06 PM »

The Radial is well built, as you'd expect, but be aware that the volume pot affects the headphone and XLR outputs and don't be surprised if you get RFI on these. Finally, the USB and XLR connectors are on opposite sides which makes cable management a bit messy. Almost a great product but not quite.

Edit - removed mic level comment
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 05:45:25 AM by Ade Stuart »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 03:11:06 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.