ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wal-Mart Wall Wart saves gig  (Read 5824 times)

Rick Powell

Wal-Mart Wall Wart saves gig
« on: February 11, 2018, 02:08:07 AM »

Tonight my son Ian was providing sound and lights for a local band and I helped load in and set up. When we went to turn on the lighting board (a first-generation Elation Sound Designer), nothing. We wiggled the connection a little bit to no avail. I thought, there's 2 possibilities, the power supply and an internal fuse. The power supply is a garden variety 9v wall wart, but as everyone knows there are about 6 types of connectors that are used, and the odds of finding one with the right voltage and the right connector are slim. With few options but to try to replace the wall wart and/or pop the case to see if anything is blown, I thought finding the right wall wart was a slim chance but there was a Wal Mart about 5 blocks away, so I thought we wouldn't lose too much time if the search came up empty. We do have a backup cheap-o light board, but it would involve resetting all the addresses on the LEDs and forget about movers.

So I was able to locate a variable-voltage wall wart with multiple interchangeable connectors at the store, get back to the gig, all taking less than 15 minutes...Ian plugged it in and viola! everything sprung into action. Here is the part, just in case you're interested. And it has a USB charger, too.

Universal Wall Wart
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:23:04 PM by Rick Powell »

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
Re: Wal-Mart Wall Wart saves gig
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 07:05:04 AM »

I love stories like this! Thanks for the heads-up Rick. I need to get one of these and put it in my bag of tricks (just for things like this)

I never was a boy scout, only a Webelo, but still try to stay prepared....

Mike

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 07:55:15 AM »

Tonight my son Ian was providing sound and lights for a local band and I helped load in and set up. When we went to turn on the lighting board (a first-generation Elation Sound Designer), nothing. We wiggled the connection a little bit to no avail. I thought, there's 2 possibilities, the power supply and an internal fuse. The power supply is a garden variety 9v wall wart, but as everyone knows there are about 6 types of connectors that are used, and the odds of finding one with the right voltage and the right connector are slim. With few options but to try to replace the wall wart and/or pop the case to see if anything is blown, I thought finding the right wall wart was a slim chance but there was a Wal Mart about 5 blocks away, so I thought we wouldn't lose too much time if the search came up empty. We do have a backup cheap-o light board, but it would involve resetting all the addresses on the LEDs and forget about movers.

So I was able to locate a variable-voltage wall wart with multiple interchangeable connectors at the store, get back to the gig, all taking less than 15 minutes...Ian plugged it in and viola! everything sprung into action. Here is the part, just in case you're interested. And it has a USB charger, too.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3v-4-5v-5v-6v-7-5v-9v-12v-AC-DC-Power-Adapter-1a-Universal-Transformer-USB-Port/474040740?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=11795&adid=22222222227085364221&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=200794252006&wl4=pla-325489906774&wl5=9021607&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117027764&wl11=online&wl12=474040740&wl13=&veh=sem

good idea...just ordered one...
just in case my light board has an issue or someone's keyboard-wart goes down...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 08:46:18 AM »

Just being helpful... Fortunately, your URL as pasted wrapped well, but if it doesn't wrap well (forcing the page to require a bunch of scrolling) you can make it a "clickable link" with these easy steps!

When you are ready to paste the URL, format it like this:
[url=www.your link.com]Your Desired Text[/url]

By doing so, using code like:
[url=www.kelcema.com]Kelcema Audio[/url]

will yield this result:
Kelcema Audio

Shortens your post up, and again, looks better. :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Rick Powell

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 04:23:50 PM »

Just being helpful... Fortunately, your URL as pasted wrapped well, but if it doesn't wrap well (forcing the page to require a bunch of scrolling) you can make it a "clickable link" with these easy steps!

When you are ready to paste the URL, format it like this:
[url=www.your link.com]Your Desired Text[/url]

By doing so, using code like:
[url=www.kelcema.com]Kelcema Audio[/url]

will yield this result:
Kelcema Audio

Shortens your post up, and again, looks better. :)

-Ray

OK, fixed above! Thanks.

Rick Powell

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »

To address the question on the "other" wall wart thread, the unit I got at Wal Mart has the ability to reverse polarity from center-positive to center-negative, simply by reversing the adapter plug where it mates with the output cord from the adapter unit. When using this universal adapter, always make sure that the polarity you are sending is what the device calls for, as some devices like guitar pedals usually use center-negative, while most electronic devices like rack mount units use center-positive.

Debbie Dunkley had a link to a less expensive version of the DC universal adapter on the "other" thread from Amazon.com.

Amazon wall wart
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:08:34 AM by Rick Powell »

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 06:28:19 PM »

A similar thing happened to my old Elation light controller. One of the DC leads broke right where it comes out of the transformer. The break was too close to the transformer to slice and make a solder repair. Apparently it had flexed a bit too much over the years.
Member since 2005.

duane massey

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 06:35:15 PM »

I carry 1 12vdc 3a power supply in my car (with my self-built adaptor kit) and 2 more spares in my 2 different gig cases. Both of my keyboards use 12vdc, but each one has a different connector and different polarity, so I carry adaptors for the oddball. I also carry a 9vac wall wart as well, as some guitar pedals and drum machines use 9vac.
I have had to use my spares several times over the past year, mostly for other musicians who don't carry spares.
I really don't understand why every person in the business doesn't carry spares. You can buy virtually anything you need from Parts Express cheaply.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 07:00:07 PM »

I carry 1 12vdc 3a power supply in my car (with my self-built adaptor kit) and 2 more spares in my 2 different gig cases. Both of my keyboards use 12vdc, but each one has a different connector and different polarity, so I carry adaptors for the oddball. I also carry a 9vac wall wart as well, as some guitar pedals and drum machines use 9vac.
I have had to use my spares several times over the past year, mostly for other musicians who don't carry spares.
I really don't understand why every person in the business doesn't carry spares. You can buy virtually anything you need from Parts Express cheaply.

It requires both forethought and money.  Seldom do they occur simultaneously... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 07:47:44 PM »

It requires both forethought and money.  Seldom do they occur simultaneously... ;)

Anyone with forethought AND money isn’t IN this business.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 10:40:31 PM »

Just being helpful... Fortunately, your URL as pasted wrapped well, but if it doesn't wrap well (forcing the page to require a bunch of scrolling)...

Another hint: Amazon URLs can be shortened to amazon.com/dp/<ASIN> where <ASIN> is Amazon's part number (don't type the angle brackets). It's the first long number in the long URL.

Likewise, Walmart's can be shortened to walmart.com/ip/<part#>

Many other sites also allow shortening like this, but it takes some experimenting to get it right.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 12:22:35 AM »

Another hint: Amazon URLs can be shortened to amazon.com/dp/<ASIN> where <ASIN> is Amazon's part number (don't type the angle brackets). It's the first long number in the long URL.

Likewise, Walmart's can be shortened to walmart.com/ip/<part#>

Many other sites also allow shortening like this, but it takes some experimenting to get it right.

It takes no experimenting at all to follow the instructions for embedding urls in a text link that are posted in a couple of places in these forums.

Mac

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 08:20:53 AM »

Old guys (like myself) have a hard time with anything new. Matter of fact, I've had an Iphone since they came out and still haven't done anything more than make phone calls with it. But I do have a universal wall wart on hand. It came from Radio Shack.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 11:46:13 AM »

Old guys (like myself) have a hard time with anything new. Matter of fact, I've had an Iphone since they came out and still haven't done anything more than make phone calls with it. But I do have a universal wall wart on hand. It came from Radio Shack.

Wait, you can make phone calls on them????? :o
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 12:42:55 PM »

What is a phone "call", Uncle Daddy?  /snark

My ATT corporate plan had 900 minutes of voice time and unlimited data... now I have the minimum voice plan and 2 gb of data as I don't watch UTube, hulu or Netflox (in fact I have no pay video services...) on my phone.  Frankly I don't understand the attraction of watching content created for a 50 ft screen on a 5 inch screen...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 12:48:02 PM »

So, this old Italian fellow is bedridden, and not doing so good.
The "Good Son" says to him "Pop, I wanna get you something nice. What U want"
"Mario, I want a hallo stat you"
"Sure Pop, I bring you one right away."
Mario goes to the Garden Supply place, and orders 4 Hollow Statues, and directs them to be placed outside the old man's window.
A couple of days go by, and Mario visits the old man.
"So Pop, How do you like the Statues? They're all hollow, just like you asked."
"No, no Mario, you got it wrong. I want the thing that goes ring ring ring, and you answer Hallo, stat You?"

Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 01:57:38 PM »

What is a phone "call", Uncle Daddy?  /snark

My ATT corporate plan had 900 minutes of voice time and unlimited data... now I have the minimum voice plan and 2 gb of data as I don't watch UTube, hulu or Netflox (in fact I have no pay video services...) on my phone.  Frankly I don't understand the attraction of watching content created for a 50 ft screen on a 5 inch screen...

What's the difference between watching on a 50 foot screen that's 50 feet from your nose, and a 5 inch screen that's 5 inches from your nose?

What I don't get is the willingness to sacrifice sound quality. Listening to action flicks or the performing arts with a 2 mm speaker is... anticlimactic.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 02:55:00 PM »

What's the difference between watching on a 50 foot screen that's 50 feet from your nose, and a 5 inch screen that's 5 inches from your nose?
Matching ANYTHING 5" from your nose is destroying your vision.
Just sayin........
I don't have a dog i this race, but i bet with 'buds in the sound is almost passable ? Not good, but OK ?
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 03:48:26 PM »

Bi focals ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 04:27:49 PM »

Radio Shack used to sell those AC adapters.  Have a couple of them.  One in my guitar gig bag and the other in the sound gig bag along with several strong USB supplies.  There's always something.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 04:27:49 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.