ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound reflective stage textiles  (Read 6756 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Sound reflective stage textiles
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 06:53:41 PM »

I was going to try that once, but they would not see any microphones on stage.

You could use some floor mics. PCC160's are pretty invisible. Since they are just feeding a verb you don't need super good mic technique or placement.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Rick Earl

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 01:27:45 PM »

I am working in a venue with a reverb time of 1.1sec.
This is a multi purpose room for cinema, rock/classical concerts and whatever cultural event that shows up.
Over the stage I have 9 acoustic tiles that can be lowered and tilted.
There are also 4 roll-up curtains on each wall along the amfi with improves the reverb time a little.

When we have classical concerts (grand piano, string groups) there the performers would like to have all the stage curtains removed.
I removed all except the front curtain, which was impossible to remove without a lift. The result was an ugly looking anthracite grey stage and happy orchestra.

Will sound reflective stage textiles be a solution?
I have so far found these:
https://www.gerriets.com/en/products/acoustics/sound-reflective-textiles/clivia-echo-room-acoustics

Are there other solutions to this problem?

There is always the compromise between what's good for speech and what is good for music.  Many halls have variable acoustic systems just for that reason.  Mics on the orchestra might help the audience, but it is difficult for them to "feel" the reverb you put into the rest of the room.  Lindsay Deans' suggestion of a sheer curtain on the side walls is probably more efficient than the sound reflecting curtains. (probably cheaper too).   The sound reflecting curtains are are approximately 90% above 1K where something like PD cloth would not come close to 10% attenuation.   Portable reflective panels also work, many halls have those as part of their orchestra shell.  The issue with those is finding a place to store them.   Generally I find in the projects I work on, there are not too many good AND cheap acoustic solutions, so unfortunately they are valued engineered out early in the process. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 09:47:23 AM »

The venue needs a "shell".  Since a permanent orchestra shell is out of the question I suggest portable "choral shells" from Wenger or similar suppliers.  The ensemble is looking for the closed, early-reflection dominated sound of a contained performance space.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 11:09:39 AM »

The venue needs a "shell".  Since a permanent orchestra shell is out of the question I suggest portable "choral shells" from Wenger or similar suppliers.  The ensemble is looking for the closed, early-reflection dominated sound of a contained performance space.
Had no idea such a device existed!
Learn something every day  :)

https://www.wengercorp.com/acoustics/travelmaster-portable-acoustic-shell.php
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 01:41:17 AM »

They are finger-mangling bastards, but yes they do work as advertised.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 03:59:05 PM »

I'll agree with both Tims.  I'm a board member of a symphony, and our home venue installed a Wenger shell system that is removable.  The tops fly up and out and the sides an back are movable in sections.  Its a pain, but the symphony loves it and immediately was able to play better and sounded better.  You may not want to know what it cost.

Certainly some fabrics are very reflective.  I've done shows in large tents a fair number of times.  Its "interesting"!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 03:59:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.