ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: FOH Computer  (Read 7232 times)

Art Nadelman

Re: FOH Computer
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 04:18:11 AM »

What type of computer footprint do you want -- laptop, all-in-one or computer/monitor setup.  All of the ones you considered in your post were all computer/monitor. 

If I was going that way, I'd do as I did when I set up LV1 initially -- I'd use a Mac Mini running windows.  It's a terrifically powerful computer with a small footprint and of course, gives you full touchscreen capabilities and multi monitor capabilities.  I used 24" touchscreen monitors with LV1.

However, there are also terrific touchscreen laptops and touchscreen convertible laptops.  I switched to a 15" Toshiba Convertible.  Much more convenient having everything in one space.

All-in-one computers are great for this too.

You might also find one of the newer i7 Microsoft Surface Pro's to your liking.  Terrific little system.  You can add a dock to it and have everything you might need.  Except the screen might be a bit small.

But if you want to make sure it runs every night without issue, the Mac Mini is the way to go.

Gary Weller

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 06:50:08 AM »

You'll need a hefty Windows computer to run Pro tools HD12, here'e the requirements:
Intel® PC with Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate 64-bit Editions), Windows 8/8.1 (Standard and Pro 64-bit Editions), and Windows 10 (Home, Pro, and Enterprise 64-bit Editions)
Please find version specific qualifications in the Windows OS Compatibility Grid below.
Intel® Xeon® processor
16GB RAM (32GB or more recommended)
Internet connection for installation
15GB disk space for installation
USB-port for iLok authorization (iLok 2 or iLok 3 required)
PCIe slot for HDX or HD Native card (incl. one power connection on motherboard) or ASIO-supported audio device
Supports 64-bit AAX plug-ins in Pro Tools

MAC requirements:
Intel® Mac with Mac OS X 10.8.5 (only supported below Pro Tools 12.5), 10.9.5 (only supported below Pro Tools 12.8), 10.10.5 (only supported below Pro Tools 12.8.2), 10.11.6, 10.12.6 (only supported with Pro Tools 12.8 and higher) or 10.13.2 (only supported with Pro Tools 12.8.3 and higher)
Please find version specific qualifications in the Mac OS Compatibility Grid below.
Intel® Core i7 processor
PCIe slot for HDX or HD Native card (incl. one power connection on motherboard), Thunderbolt-port for supported PCIe-chassis or CoreAudio-supported audio device

You'd be better off with Standard Pro Tools.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 11:05:21 AM »

What type of computer footprint do you want -- laptop, all-in-one or computer/monitor setup.  All of the ones you considered in your post were all computer/monitor. 

If I was going that way, I'd do as I did when I set up LV1 initially -- I'd use a Mac Mini running windows.  It's a terrifically powerful computer with a small footprint and of course, gives you full touchscreen capabilities and multi monitor capabilities.  I used 24" touchscreen monitors with LV1.

But if you want to make sure it runs every night without issue, the Mac Mini is the way to go.

The computer will be in a shock road case (need the case already for the Waves Server One). For the Mac Mini did it run the touch screen native or did you need to purchase the 3rd party software?

You'll need a hefty Windows computer to run Pro tools HD12.

Point taken, however if I am building the parts I have specced out would handle Pro Tools HD. It is expensive though.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 11:47:29 AM »

Dell and Lenovo make "mac mini" sized computers, too. 

Currently on sale for $559 with a coupon code (SAVE35) is the micro form factor OptiPlex 3050 w/ 8gb RAM, i5 7500 quad core CPU, 500gb hard drive, Win10Pro.

I've got a similar Lenovo with an older i5 CPU that I keep as a backup to my main desktop machine that I purchased as a reburb for ~$200.

My laptops have been Lenovo ThinkPads for a long time and I've been very happy with them.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 11:51:52 AM »

The BGA proccessor interconnection is very sensitive. With today's ginormous coolers it is very easy to damage, especially when the motherboard is vertical. So limit the size of your cooler, and transport horizontal.

Still, i would look for a laptop with the new i7-8 series Intel, and maybe leave Protools at home.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:54:22 AM by Geert Friedhof »

Art Nadelman

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 02:06:35 PM »

For the Mac Mini did it run the touch screen native or did you need to purchase the 3rd party software?

I ran it as a Windows computer (completely formatted it and installed Windows 10 Pro from scratch).  Since you're going to rackmount it, the Mac Mini in a Sonnet RackMac is a terrific way to do it.

I think it was my favorite Windows computer ever!

Now it's been re-purposed and reinstalled with Mac OS running Multirack Soundgrid.  But I didn't ever plan on using that with touchscreen.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 03:34:09 PM »

You'll need a hefty Windows computer to run Pro tools HD12, here'e the requirements:
Intel® PC with Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate 64-bit Editions), Windows 8/8.1 (Standard and Pro 64-bit Editions), and Windows 10 (Home, Pro, and Enterprise 64-bit Editions)
Please find version specific qualifications in the Windows OS Compatibility Grid below.
Intel® Xeon® processor
PCIe slot for HDX or HD Native card (incl. one power connection on motherboard) or ASIO-supported audio device

MAC requirements:
Intel® Mac with Mac OS X 10.8.5 (only supported below Pro Tools 12.5), 10.9.5 (only supported below Pro Tools 12.8), 10.10.5 (only supported below Pro Tools 12.8.2), 10.11.6, 10.12.6 (only supported with Pro Tools 12.8 and higher) or 10.13.2 (only supported with Pro Tools 12.8.3 and higher)
Please find version specific qualifications in the Mac OS Compatibility Grid below.
Intel® Core i7 processor
PCIe slot for HDX or HD Native card (incl. one power connection on motherboard), Thunderbolt-port for supported PCIe-chassis or CoreAudio-supported audio device

I run my PT 12 on a system nearly 5 years old with no real issues.  Since 64 bit computing was introduced on pc I’ve found that the only significant upgrade I’ve done was to install an SSD system drive, it might be a different issue if I was using a lot of midi instruments, but I’m not.

Obviously ymmv.

Gary Weller

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 04:48:16 PM »

I run my PT 12 on a system nearly 5 years old with no real issues.  Since 64 bit computing was introduced on pc I’ve found that the only significant upgrade I’ve done was to install an SSD system drive, it might be a different issue if I was using a lot of midi instruments, but I’m not.

Obviously ymmv.

PT 12 is not the same as PT 12 HD

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 08:17:50 PM »

Temperature ranges.  Do you plan to stay in total climate control.   Computers outside in the south running for festivals also take some special considerations. 

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 05:07:58 AM »

PT 12 is not the same as PT 12 HD

Unless something has changed since 11 and 10 they are the same software with some features disabled?
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 05:07:58 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.