ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW KF650z Sound Quality and Amp Pairing  (Read 3543 times)

Cornelius Qualley

Re: EAW KF650z Sound Quality and Amp Pairing
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 12:15:22 pm »

Absolutely Matt - So many people did not put the delay on the subs and things cancelled at the crossover - I raised this issue sooo many times with EAW but they refused to address it.

A couple of other points - if you really want to get the most out of the 650's, run them 3 way + subs, and raise the sub crossover to 120 Hz. This may not be acceptable for some situations but for EDM it will work perfectly.

In some of the early 650s I think there may have been a wiring error and in 3 way mode the mids were polarity inverted.

I also read (I'm sure on one of these forums) that triamp is the only way to go on those boxes, so that's how I've been running them. That's interesting to know on the wiring error. I've got one of the boxes torn apart on my bench just so I could take a look inside, I'll give that a quick polarity check. I wanted to make sure they had all original drivers, and it turns out they do, and they're in very nice condition.

Peter Morris

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 06:22:31 pm »

I also read (I'm sure on one of these forums) that triamp is the only way to go on those boxes, so that's how I've been running them. That's interesting to know on the wiring error. I've got one of the boxes torn apart on my bench just so I could take a look inside, I'll give that a quick polarity check. I wanted to make sure they had all original drivers, and it turns out they do, and they're in very nice condition.

IF there is a wiring error (I believe it was only in the early boxes) it was OK in 2 way mode but not 3 way.  It will not be an obvious error, you may have to smaart the box to see the problem.

Rich Frembes

• Fulcrum Acoustic
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 10:08:25 am »

LF: (2) Crown XLS 1500 - 1550W @ 4 ohms bridged = 775W per speaker (specs call for 700W)

Note that bridging the LF amplifier increases its voltage gain by 6 dB.  There is every possibility that you are not hearing the correct LF/MF/HF balance in this box.  What are the amplifier settings in your UX8800?

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 12:30:16 pm »

IF  OK in 2 way mode but not 3 way. 

Ah yes. Ye olde inscrutable EAW passive shaping, etc. There could very well be a need for a bandpass polarity reverse somewhere here.

Smaart or REW could be your friends here. What factory says it SHOULD be, and what it IS may be very different.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:32:36 pm by Jim McKeveny »

Cornelius Qualley

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 03:28:08 pm »

Note that bridging the LF amplifier increases its voltage gain by 6 dB.  There is every possibility that you are not hearing the correct LF/MF/HF balance in this box.  What are the amplifier settings in your UX8800?

Yes, I think there's every possibility that I'm not hearing the right balance. It seemed quite weak in the mids and very harsh in the top end. I setup the amps using the db gains (which I had to call Crown to get) and the power ratings at 4 ohms. So, take the LF for instance with an XLS1500: on the UX I set the gain to 30.88db, 4 ohms, 1550W, and I let it calculate the max voltage.

From the other advice on this forum, I'm going to move to some more powerful amps, so that particular setting will change. But I'm still interested in knowing, are you saying that I should increase the gain setting on the UX for that amp to 36.88db if running in bridged?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 04:07:18 pm »

Yes, I think there's every possibility that I'm not hearing the right balance. It seemed quite weak in the mids and very harsh in the top end. I setup the amps using the db gains (which I had to call Crown to get) and the power ratings at 4 ohms. So, take the LF for instance with an XLS1500: on the UX I set the gain to 30.88db, 4 ohms, 1550W, and I let it calculate the max voltage.

From the other advice on this forum, I'm going to move to some more powerful amps, so that particular setting will change. But I'm still interested in knowing, are you saying that I should increase the gain setting on the UX for that amp to 36.88db if running in bridged?

YES.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Cornelius Qualley

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 05:06:55 pm »

YES.

Thanks. I mean, that makes perfect sense to me with bridging, I just wanted to make sure.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 05:06:55 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 25 queries.