ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Stagebox and MADI questions  (Read 12068 times)

John T. Cotton

• Frugal Audio
Re: Soundcraft Stagebox and MADI questions
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »

There are two methods I have seen to add more than 32 remote I/o - one is to buy the compact stagebox, redo the card setup and buy DACs to deal with the AES outs. You could also purchase the Dante card and used BSS Blu-100s and a Blu link-Dante converter off eBay to add 12 channels at a time - this is my plan for the future.

I am I wrong in thinking that the Compact box, with an additional MADI card, could link to another stagebox?

If you get the Dante card, why use Blu at all?  Why not use any one of the many Dante preamps out there?  No pre control?
John T. Cotton

www.FrugalAudio.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 03:31:09 PM »

I am I wrong in thinking that the Compact box, with an additional MADI card, could link to another stagebox?

If you get the Dante card, why use Blu at all?  Why not use any one of the many Dante preamps out there?  No pre control?

Only a proprietary stagebox will allow control of the remote pres by the knobs on the console.
A Dante stagebox could be controlled with a laptop.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 02:05:30 PM »

I have a 32 stagebox. I run STP CAT6 and have never had an issue. I run AES 15/16 for my main PA as my amps take AES in and have a loop through. I do find that I run out of analog outputs pretty fast once I get into bigger rooms and doing monitor mixes from FOH. I wish there was a cheaper solution to get more outputs from the AES lines.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 03:45:10 PM »

I have a 32 stagebox. I run STP CAT6 and have never had an issue. I run AES 15/16 for my main PA as my amps take AES in and have a loop through. I do find that I run out of analog outputs pretty fast once I get into bigger rooms and doing monitor mixes from FOH. I wish there was a cheaper solution to get more outputs from the AES lines.

What amps?

Mal Brown

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 03:01:35 AM »

We run an SI Exp 3 FOH and SI Exp 1 MON, off the Mini-Stage Box 32x12.  Just set the stage box switch to both.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 08:58:56 AM »

Only a proprietary stagebox will allow control of the remote pres by the knobs on the console.
A Dante stagebox could be controlled with a laptop.

That Soundcraft can indeed control the preamp gain on inputs in a BSS BLU.  I have never done it, but there is a "how to" written by Harman floating around somewhere out there.  Gain is controllable in 6dB steps though.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

John T. Cotton

• Frugal Audio
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 10:30:51 PM »

You could also purchase the Dante card and used BSS Blu-100s and a Blu link-Dante converter off eBay to add 12 channels at a time - this is my plan for the future.
I thought there was a BLU-Link card, why bother with Dante at all at that point?
John T. Cotton

www.FrugalAudio.com

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 02:25:44 PM »

Al Burgess

• amberaudio
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 07:45:52 AM »

The Soundcraft console development mantra is to not include multiple obvious useful features and then ignore user feedback. Very aggravating.

Based on the lack of software development on the Soundcraft products I would take a hard look at the SQ6 if you can fit in its footprint.

I think you may be being a little harsh - there have been lots of software improvements due to user feedback over the lifetime of the si series, and the old vi series recently had a major update despite no longer being current :)
Alan Burgess

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 01:05:13 PM »

I think you may be being a little harsh - there have been lots of software improvements due to user feedback over the lifetime of the si series, and the old vi series recently had a major update despite no longer being current :)

I don't think Jon is being particularly harsh, although there is a hint of bitterness...

Soundcraft has an institutional way of doing things that is not particularly customer responsive in the near term and it's been that way for 35 years under different owners, so it's not just a Harman artifact...

Soundcraft eventually does take customer needs and concerns into account, usually when new models roll out you'll see the feature you wanted 4 years ago (or they finally fixed what wasn't working).  Soundcraft is also very opaque when it comes to dealing with MI customers (and even professional users, which is why we're a Soundcraft-free company based on lack of support 20+ years ago) and to expect them to respond is to exercise ones frustration tolerance.

That all said, consider that Soundcraft probably has under 100 people on direct payroll... maybe substantially fewer.  Supporting existing products, designing and testing new items, and trying to stay a bit ahead of the competition keeps them very busy.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 01:05:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.