ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats your favorite powered hotspot right now?  (Read 6576 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Whats your favorite powered hotspot right now?
« on: February 06, 2018, 01:01:49 PM »

I have need for a few powered hotspots now. I really have no experience with these boxes, so tell me what you like and why.

Thanks!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John P. Farrell

Re: Whats your favorite powered hotspot right now?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 01:17:25 PM »

I really like the little Behringers.  B205D I believe.  They have multiple input and mounting options and sound very good for low $.  I thought they sounded superior to the current Galaxy model.

JF
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 01:48:48 PM »

I've used a Galaxy off and on for years.  As with the Alto wedges, don't judge them by how they sound in a store playing music.  Judge them by how well you can hear yourself sing on a noisy stage.  Unless you're trying to run keyboards and other parts of a full mix though them.  Then I'd get the TC boxes.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 02:02:25 PM »

I've used a Galaxy off and on for years.  As with the Alto wedges, don't judge them by how they sound in a store playing music.  Judge them by how well you can hear yourself sing on a noisy stage.  Unless you're trying to run keyboards and other parts of a full mix though them.  Then I'd get the TC boxes.

Yeah that's kinda why I'm asking here. I've "heard" all kinds of hotspots, but I've never used them in anger before.

My use will be for last minute monitoring in a HOW environment. My entire stage is on IEM's, and is pretty quiet. No amps, and the drums are behind a shield. But sometimes, I'll need for a live speaker, always at the last minute, that my FOH guy can run. It's not "quick" to set up a wedge through our monitor desk since it is nearly maxed out for IEM use, and nobody runs it. We use app control for IEM's and the desk is in the band's green room. I can do it, but it's not quick or easy.

This last Saturday I had a Funeral. Right before we started somebody from the family asked if they could play the piano for a couple of songs (Nord Stage Piano) I said sure, but you will have to listen to the mains. I don't have time to set up a monitor. He did, and it was OK, but it got me to thinking. If I had a powered hotspot, I could have just used the Key players IEM mix (hardwired) to give him a monitor. Then I started thinking about all the other uses I had for these things and, well, now I need some.....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 04:37:16 PM »

The classic Galaxy hotspot sure doesn't sound nice, but it's the gold standard for living through years of abuse.  Plus those ice-pick mids really cut through!  One weird thing most people don't know is that the XLR input has 24v phantom power (which you can't switch off).

The little Behringer listed above is OK, it's really a copy of the Mackie SRM-150.

Hanno Meingast

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 11:10:09 PM »

Yeah that's kinda why I'm asking here. I've "heard" all kinds of hotspots, but I've never used them in anger before.

My use will be for last minute monitoring in a HOW environment. My entire stage is on IEM's, and is pretty quiet. No amps, and the drums are behind a shield. But sometimes, I'll need for a live speaker, always at the last minute, that my FOH guy can run. It's not "quick" to set up a wedge through our monitor desk since it is nearly maxed out for IEM use, and nobody runs it. We use app control for IEM's and the desk is in the band's green room. I can do it, but it's not quick or easy.

This last Saturday I had a Funeral. Right before we started somebody from the family asked if they could play the piano for a couple of songs (Nord Stage Piano) I said sure, but you will have to listen to the mains. I don't have time to set up a monitor. He did, and it was OK, but it got me to thinking. If I had a powered hotspot, I could have just used the Key players IEM mix (hardwired) to give him a monitor. Then I started thinking about all the other uses I had for these things and, well, now I need some.....
There is also the Roland CM30 cube monitor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 06:23:13 AM »

The classic Galaxy hotspot sure doesn't sound nice, but it's the gold standard for living through years of abuse.  Plus those ice-pick mids really cut through!  One weird thing most people don't know is that the XLR input has 24v phantom power (which you can't switch off).

The little Behringer listed above is OK, it's really a copy of the Mackie SRM-150.
The older Hot Spots were horrible, thanks for ruining years of therapy!  I had to use them many times. 

If I had to use a small-ish speaker - I'd start with the small Martin CDD and 1RU Powersoft Quattrocanali DSP amp.  Self-powered, something 8" 2 way, there are a few options.  Something not too cheap, as a spikey frequency/phase response has a higher chance of feedback, especially when really close to an open mic. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 06:31:59 AM »

I have 2 of the Behringer 205d and they work well for emergency situations. I like the mic stand mount and size. They get loud in the vocal range, for what they are. They are particularly handy for keyboard players and drummers in a situation where they need just vocals. They need a lot of eq to sound decent, but they get the job done.

I much prefer the Turbosound iQ8 on a small Speaker stand when there is room.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 07:40:42 AM »

I did not like the sound of the B205D at all.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 07:50:36 AM »

Though lacking a factory stand option, Fostex 6301's have been a great help at times. If these won't do it, you probably need a bigger monitor..

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 12:34:02 PM »

I have 9 Galaxy PA6S powered Hot-Spots (now the PA6BT, apparently), and I'd absolutely recommend them. I typically use them for symphony shows, but they regularly come in handy for other things. I've always been really surprised at how loud they get and how decent they sound for their size and price.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 04:11:54 PM »

The little Roland cube makes a servicable hot spot for a keyboard or guitar modeler.  I have heard a keyboard player use the TC sitting on top his keyboards as a nearfield thing.  Not a big sound but he was happy with it and liked having the clarity coming right at him.
For occasional wedge use where anything could be coming out of it I would second having a small powered speaker, Yamaha DXR8 or similar.
The Galaxy is for very near field vocals.  Although a corporate band I played with was all IEM which frustrated me.  So I started putting the receiver pack on my Galaxy.  I noted some of the front line singers pulling an ear out and coming to stand near me.  ;)

Neale Watson

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 04:39:04 PM »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 04:52:39 PM »

I have 9 Galaxy PA6S powered Hot-Spots (now the PA6BT, apparently), and I'd absolutely recommend them. I typically use them for symphony shows, but they regularly come in handy for other things. I've always been really surprised at how loud they get and how decent they sound for their size and price.

I've put some of PA6SR, with the wireless receiver in them in at an install and in over the course of about four years they all have been back to Galaxy for repair, some a couple times. A couple times it was the wireless receiver all the others were amp issues.
Galaxy covered and took care it with a fast turn around, but still.

At this install they are used for background music via the wireless and the occasional mic plugged into one for a mini PA.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 05:02:29 PM »

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the EV ZXA1P. I don't need anything other than a line in, so the tone controls and extra bells and whistles don't appeal to me. The ZXA1p is about the same footprint, but a little taller. It's very lightweught, and I know they are tough and sound pretty decent as well. Also, they are fairly cheap.....

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 06:01:03 PM »

I was going to suggest the ZXA1 but it didn't have the tone controls and won't mount on a mic stand like some of the actual "hot spot" type products.... they're a well priced, small format speaker that sounds decent if you don't need low end. 

In my opinion it would be more flexible, as it could make a good delay or fill speaker in a pinch, which I wouldn't do personally with an SRM-150 or similar.

Just my two cents...
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 06:02:19 PM »

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the EV ZXA1P. I don't need anything other than a line in, so the tone controls and extra bells and whistles don't appeal to me. The ZXA1p is about the same footprint, but a little taller. It's very lightweught, and I know they are tough and sound pretty decent as well. Also, they are fairly cheap.....
Good choice.  I still have a couple Sx80s.  Sound perfectly tolerable at close range.  Use them as lip fills for dance recitals.  If someone needs more than that, there needs to be some planning and discussion.

Rick Earl

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 08:48:03 AM »

I have need for a few powered hotspots now. I really have no experience with these boxes, so tell me what you like and why.

Thanks!
I've been using the Vue i-6a as a utility speaker.  I use them as front fills and as small monitors.  They come with the yoke, you can either use an adapter  or if you're handy, the center hole is the right diameter to thread and you can mount it directly on a mic stand.  They are compact, rugged, sound good and well priced.
http://www.vueaudio.com/products/i-6-i-6a/

Ivan Feder

• Paris, France
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 01:02:53 PM »

Love the Mackie SRM 150,
http://mackie.com/products/srm150

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 10:36:47 PM »

I've put some of PA6SR, with the wireless receiver in them in at an install and in over the course of about four years they all have been back to Galaxy for repair, some a couple times. A couple times it was the wireless receiver all the others were amp issues.
Galaxy covered and took care it with a fast turn around, but still.

I have one going back to them right now, actually. Second one I've had to send in, but I knew this one was dead before it was in my possession, so it's a little different. I've had the majority of mine a long time though, with only one issue.

Fun fact though, before I could send it to Galaxy for repair they sent me a notice that they'd be unable to replace the amplifier board if that was the problem. Apparently it was discontinued by the manufacturer, ICE, and they've run out of spares. If you send them a PA6S under warranty with a bad amp board they'll send you a PA6BT to replace it. If it's not under warranty, you can buy a PA6BT directly from them at a discounted price. The new one has a Galaxy amp in it, so I can only imagine that it'll be an improvement.

I should find out soon whether or not I'll get a new one with Bluetooth.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 12:45:55 AM »

The TC vsm300 is the best hot spot ive tried.  solid build, decent driver and decent sound.  to do better I think you need to move to an 8" like a zx1a.

Thanks!

Lyle Williams

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 04:18:07 AM »

8"+horn is so much better than a 5" by itself.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 02:28:24 PM »

8"+horn is so much better than a 5" by itself.
Yeah that's where I'm leaning. I can use that as a lip fill too. A hotspot would not be so great at that.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 02:28:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.