ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst halftime ever  (Read 6876 times)

Jack Arnott

Re: Worst halftime ever
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 02:59:25 pm »

I thought it was completely average, and wonderful at the same time.
Made for the TV, and pulled that off.

I don't know if this is a ringing endorsement, or a complete pan.

Too bad the broadcast engineer didnít think the money channel was important to hear.

Adverts called this the music event of the year. Boring music when you could hear it.

Perhaps it was the dance event of the year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 03:49:22 pm »

Well, poor mix or not, I am more impressed with the behind-the-scenes logistics that must go into a production of that magnitude. The planning and coordination of elements must start mouths, maybe even a year, in advance. I'll bet that it involves close to 1000 people all working together, either directly or indirectly, to make it happen. The set design and engineering alone to get that stage moved out onto the field, snapped together, and functional in some 10 minutes during the halftime commentary, probably involves its own rehearsals.

The choreography, orchestration, lighting, pre-programmed video screens, planning and positioning of cameras, the cabling nightmare, the control room feeds and activity, and even security must all be tremendous.

Overall, I give the crews high marks for a job well done.
+1...  Lighten up guys... If I were the company given this job, I would check with all of you before and then maybe a run through broadcast to correct all of the issues raised here.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 04:11:20 pm »

I have listened to a re-broadcast on a number of stations running clips for news. Everything sounded incredible. So what happened to the live broadcast???
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 05:41:49 pm »

I have listened to a re-broadcast on a number of stations running clips for news. Everything sounded incredible. So what happened to the live broadcast???

Sometimes they go back over it and do some fixes, live thatís not an option. 😉

Tom Burgess

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 06:43:48 pm »

Mix-wise the broadcast audio was rough, no doubt about it... especially towards the beginning although it did seem to improve as things went on.  Blackeyed Peas still stands as the worst sounding of all time, though.

I've just come to expect to witness technical difficulties with the SB HT Show... it's just too much crap to try to make right in 6 - 7 minutes setup time regardless of how much rehearsal you get.  Therefore I tend to give them a lot of slack with regard to what comes out of my 5.1  home system when I watch a spectacle of this nature.  All in all, kudos I say!  That's a helluva thing to pull off!

Oh, and the Prince SB HT show will always and forever be the best of all time, period... end of story.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 06:51:55 pm »

Oh, and the Prince SB HT show will always and forever be the best of all time, period... end of story.

Amen to that, brother!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 08:11:53 pm »

Too bad the broadcast engineer didnít think the money channel was important to hear.

Adverts called this the music event of the year. Boring music when you could hear it.

Perhaps it was the dance event of the year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sounded pretty good to me, but then again, I have Bose speakers. If you notice, the guys on the sidelines are wearing Bose headphones. I'm guessing the mix engineer was mixing on Bose headphones. Most homes in America have Bose speakers so it only makes sense that they mix for the most popular brand of speakers.

Mal Brown

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 09:17:49 pm »

From a stint in cork-sniffing hifi back in the 70ís...  No highs, No Lows.. Must be B__e
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 09:40:51 pm »

Does anyone know if JT really can play the piano?  I noticed all the shots when he was at the piano were purposefully angled to not catch his hands.  Its one thing when a truly good singer lipsinks on a high profile show, but its just silly when someone who doesn't know how to play an instrument fakes it for no real reason, be it piano, guitar whatever. 
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 09:51:06 pm »

He's been known to get behind a piano at times during previous tours and awards shows, so I think he can.

This cat can really sing, but you'd never know it from that halftime show. Kind of a shame he wasn't given much of a chance to do it, and the mix did him no favors either.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 09:51:06 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 23 queries.