ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst halftime ever  (Read 10649 times)

Aram Piligian

Re: Worst halftime ever
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 12:28:49 AM »

The vocals were buried because he was hardly singing--so it was the track that was buried.  When he was actually singing (in between being his own hype man) it came through just fine, at least to my ears.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 12:30:23 AM »

You can get another shot at it tonight on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, he's our musical guest tonight and Jimmy was at the game.

Mac
Watching it now. Wave or something so I can see who you are!
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 12:33:07 AM »

Did anyone raise the volume up really loud and did it sound any better?

Actually, yes.  Thanks to this and other sound forums, I usually do my annual calibration of the sound and video on my main system, a few days before Superbowl.  Haven't cared about the game in decades, and I stopped watching for the commercials when they became available online days and weeks before and after the main event.  But as much coverage as the half-time show gets on many of my favorite forums, I tune in for that.  I watched it by myself this year and turned up (with nobody ceaselessly yammering on around me) I thought it was a nice mix.  A little heavy in the surrounds, like most sporting events, but overall, I found the whole thing to be enjoyable.  At least the crowd mics weren't cluttering up things as much as they typically seem to be.
This space for rent

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 06:54:38 AM »

I checked the show out on 2 different channels, OTA broadcast with full 5.1 Vocals were low in some parts and not so bad in others.
The choreography was quite good and it looked like there was a live band (with tracks)
I did like the idea of "travelling" from inside the tunnel to different stages and on to the field.

The thing that really got my attention was the scrolling Pepsi logo running across the seating area behind the stage. Neat trick with, what I assume, are hand held LED devices.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 07:43:40 AM »

though I was setting some projectors and screens up at a venue for the game last night, as it's on after midnight here in the UK once they were all up and running OK I just left them to it, didn't stay to watch.

However just watched it on Youtube there and they've obviously remixed the audio somewhat, didn't sound mindblowing by any means but certainly no worse than any other broadcast mix at a similar live event.

K

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 07:50:33 AM »

You can get another shot at it tonight on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, he's our musical guest tonight and Jimmy was at the game.

Mac

I have to agree with the low vocals statements. I expected a good to great show from JT and saw a dance routine done very well. Lighting and effects were above par (get it?), but JT was the money and he was sadly far to low in the mix with all or most of the upper frequencies gone somewhere but not into the mix.

Mac - You just put your name on the mix, and I'm assuming you mean Monday night, today. I've stopped watching late night shows, but will make an exception just this once.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Gaines

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 09:49:01 AM »

Lighting and effects were above par (get it?)...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 01:24:25 PM »

I have to agree with the low vocals statements. I expected a good to great show from JT and saw a dance routine done very well. Lighting and effects were above par (get it?), but JT was the money and he was sadly far to low in the mix with all or most of the upper frequencies gone somewhere but not into the mix.

Mac - You just put your name on the mix, and I'm assuming you mean Monday night, today. I've stopped watching late night shows, but will make an exception just this once.

Not my mix, I’m the comms guy on the Tonight Show when they do a remote.

Jimmy’s house band, The Roots, are Philadelphia based. It was a happy band playing last night.

Mac
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:26:39 PM by Mac Kerr »

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 02:22:40 PM »

Well, poor mix or not, I am more impressed with the behind-the-scenes logistics that must go into a production of that magnitude. The planning and coordination of elements must start mouths, maybe even a year, in advance. I'll bet that it involves close to 1000 people all working together, either directly or indirectly, to make it happen. The set design and engineering alone to get that stage moved out onto the field, snapped together, and functional in some 10 minutes during the halftime commentary, probably involves its own rehearsals.

The choreography, orchestration, lighting, pre-programmed video screens, planning and positioning of cameras, the cabling nightmare, the control room feeds and activity, and even security must all be tremendous.

Overall, I give the crews high marks for a job well done.
Member since 2005.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »

Well, poor mix or not, I am more impressed with the behind-the-scenes logistics that must go into a production of that magnitude. The planning and coordination of elements must start mouths, maybe even a year, in advance. I'll bet that it involves close to 1000 people all working together, either directly or indirectly, to make it happen. The set design and engineering alone to get that stage moved out onto the field, snapped together, and functional in some 10 minutes during the halftime commentary, probably involves its own rehearsals.

The choreography, orchestration, lighting, pre-programmed video screens, planning and positioning of cameras, the cabling nightmare, the control room feeds and activity, and even security must all be tremendous.

Overall, I give the crews high marks for a job well done.

Agreed. I can't begin to imagine all of the hard work, planning and coordination that has to go into an event like this. The Verge did a write-up on some of the audio engineering that goes into the Superbowl halftime show:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/2/16961244/super-bowl-halftime-show-audio-patrick-baltzell-2018

I'd love to see a more in-depth write-up of the entire production; it's super fascinating. If anyone has more info about some of the behind-the-scenes magic, please share!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.