ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Community CSX57-S2 Help!  (Read 14340 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Community CSX57-S2 Help!
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 08:02:44 AM »

Those look clean but there could still be a broken connection where the lead attaches to the voice coil.
With the meter shown in the earlier pictures what reading did you get when you measured the driver with the driver completely disconnected.

Before you measure with that meter put it in the resistance mode, take both meter test leads hold them together and adjust the zeroing dial to set the meter hand on zero.

Marc Sibilia

• Princeton, New Jersey
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2018, 11:28:29 AM »

Before you measure with that meter put it in the resistance mode, take both meter test leads hold them together and adjust the zeroing dial to set the meter hand on zero.

Anybody look carefully at that meter reading?  It is reading 1200 ohms.  That meter is the wrong meter for measuring drivers.  The only range for resistance measurement is x1 kohm.

OP: You need to find a meter that will properly distinguish between 0 ohm, 6-8 ohms, and open circuit.

Marc

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 12:50:47 PM »

Anybody look carefully at that meter reading?  It is reading 1200 ohms.  That meter is the wrong meter for measuring drivers.  The only range for resistance measurement is x1 kohm.

OP: You need to find a meter that will properly distinguish between 0 ohm, 6-8 ohms, and open circuit.

Marc
OOPS, I looked quickly at the meter and saw the x1 scale (didn't see the K).

I believe he was measuring across the HPCCRs at the time.  They should read close to a short when cold.

So maybe there are multiple problems here
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Marc Sibilia

• Princeton, New Jersey
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 01:17:43 PM »

I believe he was measuring across the HPCCRs at the time.  They should read close to a short when cold.

I suspect the battery was low on the meter, or it wasn't zeroed with the leads shorted together.  In any case, the difference between 8 ohm and a dead short would not be seen on that meter.  It was useful for showing that the voice coil is not an open circuit, but isn't any more useful than that.

Marc
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:19:45 PM by Marc Sibilia »

Marc Sibilia

• Princeton, New Jersey
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 03:26:34 PM »

It was useful for showing that the voice coil is not an open circuit, but isn't any more useful than that.

I take back what I said about the meter.  It can be useful because you can measure current with it.

If you can find a better meter, use that to measure the resistance.

If you don't have a better meter, you can measure using your meter, a 1.5V battery, some clip leads or wire, and a working 8 ohm speaker.

Wire:
1) the battery (+) to the good speaker (+),
2) the good speaker (-) to the unknown diaphragm (+)
3) the unknown diaphragm (-) to the meter (+)
set the meter on 250 DCma range then
4) the meter (-) to the battery (-)

The (+) and (-) don't really matter on the speakers and are just for reference. They only really matter on the battery and meter.

If the current reads about 180 to 250 ma, the diaphragm is shorted (dead).
If the current reads about 90 to 125 ma, the voice coil on the diaphragm is OK.

You need the extra speaker (or a 6 to 10 ohm resistor) to limit the current and prevent blowing the fuse in your meter if the diaphragm is a dead short.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 09:17:26 PM »

As did I!

As Marc said it would at least tell him/us if the voice coil was open or not before saying to go ahead and get a replacement diaphragm or driver.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2018, 01:51:03 PM »

You won't gain anything by replacing the whole driver. Just replacing the diaphragm will bring it back to "like new".

It's kinda like the tires on your car. If you have a blowout, you don't buy a whole new wheel. You replace the tire....

Also, if there's a speaker recone shop anywhere close to you, I'll bet money they have those diaphragms in stock. They were used in tons and tons of speakers.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 01:53:41 PM by Tim Weaver »
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Nicholas Johnson

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2018, 12:26:59 AM »

Thanks guys for all your help. I ended up replacing the driver from parts express and it worked out well. The party was a success and nothing was blown 8). My next question is what speakers do you guys recommend me upgrading too? I thinking of replacing all the speakers with something of better sound and quality and more bass. I listen to a lot of reggae so I need something that can handle bass lol.

Rick Powell

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2018, 12:42:42 AM »

My next question is what speakers do you guys recommend me upgrading too? I thinking of replacing all the speakers with something of better sound and quality and more bass. I listen to a lot of reggae so I need something that can handle bass lol.

A few questions for you to recommend something.
What is your budget?
Are you otherwise satisfied with your current speakers output, and just want something with better lows and clearer highs?
Powered or unpowered?

Nicholas Johnson

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2018, 01:21:40 AM »

A few questions for you to recommend something.
What is your budget?
Are you otherwise satisfied with your current speakers output, and just want something with better lows and clearer highs?
Powered or unpowered?

I would rather passive unless you recommend a powered setup that goes really low. I want more output, better lows and clearer highs and looking to stay in the 5k range

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2018, 01:21:40 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.