ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Community CSX57-S2 Help!  (Read 14336 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Community CSX57-S2 Help!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 09:59:27 PM »

Nicholas, your HF died because you ran your rig too hard, very likely by driving the amplifier into fairly constant clipping.

You don't have Enough Rig For The Gig. You can't "improve" your existing speakers in a reasonable way... not you personally but that once you change a component the rest isn't meant to work with your new thingy for reasons pointed out above.

Order replacement HF diaphragms, get you speakers working as Community intended, play the party and sell them to replace with something more in keeping with your SPL needs without burning up.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nicholas Johnson

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 10:13:59 PM »

Nicholas, your HF died because you ran your rig too hard, very likely by driving the amplifier into fairly constant clipping.

You don't have Enough Rig For The Gig. You can't "improve" your existing speakers in a reasonable way... not you personally but that once you change a component the rest isn't meant to work with your new thingy for reasons pointed out above.

Order replacement HF diaphragms, get you speakers working as Community intended, play the party and sell them to replace with something more in keeping with your SPL needs without burning up.

I wish I could just order exact replacements but i dont think anyone sells them.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 10:35:32 PM »

I wish I could just order exact replacements but i dont think anyone sells them.

Those are basic Eminence drivers, 8 ohm going by what the lable says. Parts for those are available just about any place that sells speaker parts, look at Parts Express.

The picture of your meter actually shows resistance, a little over 1 ohm, depending on if the meter was zeroed before the measurment, not no resistance.

You may still have crossover damage, post up a picture of the crossover.

I just looked up the specs on that driver the dc resistance is about 6 ohms, so either your meter was not zeroed or the driver's voice coil is shorted.
Did you disconnect the driver before the measuring the resistance?

The driver is PSD 2002 series.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:48:44 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Nicholas Johnson

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 11:29:30 PM »

Those are basic Eminence drivers, 8 ohm going by what the lable says. Parts for those are available just about any place that sells speaker parts, look at Parts Express.

The picture of your meter actually shows resistance, a little over 1 ohm, depending on if the meter was zeroed before the measurment, not no resistance.

You may still have crossover damage, post up a picture of the crossover.

I just looked up the specs on that driver the dc resistance is about 6 ohms, so either your meter was not zeroed or the driver's voice coil is shorted.
Did you disconnect the driver before the measuring the resistance?

The driver is PSD 2002 series.

The pic i showed with resistance was from the crossover. I disconnected one of the leads before measuring the driver and the meter read 0

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 11:57:24 PM »

A meter reading of 0 means a dead short not 0 ohms as in an open connection. Either one is bad news when measuring a driver.

The picture or your crossover does not show any ovious signs of being burned up.

Nicholas Johnson

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 12:03:17 AM »

A meter reading of 0 means a dead short not 0 ohms as in an open connection. Either one is bad news when measuring a driver.

The picture or your crossover does not show any ovious signs of being burned up.

So I can go to parts express and buy replacement drivers and it should sound ok? I saw a few of the PSD 2002 series on their website for different prices which one would you recommend?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 12:11:10 AM by Nicholas Johnson »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 12:15:34 AM »

So I can go to parts express and buy replacement drivers and it should sound ok?

If there is no hidden damage in the crossover, like burned out bulb, kinda tough to tell for sure in the pictures.

You only need to replace the back cap diaphragm on the driver. You'll need to clean the voice coil gap when replacing the diaphragm, you can search the fourms on how to properly do it.
In the long run it would be easier just to put on a new driver.

Nicholas Johnson

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 12:21:24 AM »

If there is no hidden damage in the crossover, like burned out bulb, kinda tough to tell for sure in the pictures.

You only need to replace the back cap diaphragm on the driver. You'll need to clean the voice coil gap when replacing the diaphragm, you can search the fourms on how to properly do it.
In the long run it would be easier just to put on a new driver.

I would rather put a new driver.

Nicholas Johnson

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 12:23:34 AM »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 10:05:29 AM »

do you think this will be ok?

https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-psd-2002-8-1-titanium-driver-8-ohm-2-3-bolt--290-442
There were 2 versions of Eminance drivers that looked identical on the outside.

But the phase plug and diaphragm were different.

Take the diaphragm off and show a photo of the edges of the diaphragm.

I have forgotten which is which, but others might remember.

You also need to be sure to get the correct impedance of the driver.

It could be that the drivers just "broke", and were not overpowered.

Looking at the diaphram will give the best idea of what went wrong, possibly how it happened.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 10:05:29 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.