ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Community CSX57-S2 Help!  (Read 14335 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Community CSX57-S2 Help!
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 11:02:08 AM »

do you think this will be ok?

https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-psd-2002-8-1-titanium-driver-8-ohm-2-3-bolt--290-442

Is yours the bolt on or screw on version, I could not really really tell from the picture you posted, the same driver is available in eitehr mounting option.

The screw on will just un-screw from the horn by turning the driver, the bolt on will have two on three bolt heads or nuts exposed on the flange on the front of the driver.

Nicholas Johnson

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 11:06:22 AM »

Is yours the bolt on or screw on version, I could not really really tell from the picture you posted, the same driver is available in eitehr mounting option.

The screw on will just un-screw from the horn by turning the driver, the bolt on will have two on three bolt heads or nuts exposed on the flange on the front of the driver.

it's the bolt on. it has 2 bolts and it has 8 ohms written on the side.

Nicholas Johnson

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 11:08:27 AM »

There were 2 versions of Eminance drivers that looked identical on the outside.

But the phase plug and diaphragm were different.

Take the diaphragm off and show a photo of the edges of the diaphragm.

I have forgotten which is which, but others might remember.

You also need to be sure to get the correct impedance of the driver.

It could be that the drivers just "broke", and were not overpowered.

Looking at the diaphram will give the best idea of what went wrong, possibly how it happened.

I'll pull apart when I get back home. it says 8 ohms on the side of the driver and its 2 bolt

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 12:56:27 PM »

I'll pull apart when I get back home. it says 8 ohms on the side of the driver and its 2 bolt

Then it might be the 2nd version of the driver.

I "think" (but could be wrong, I've slept since the 80s when they first came out) the 1st version was screw on only.  But the second version was bolt or screw on, 8 or 16 ohm.

I would not replace the driver, but just the diaphragm.

Guessing at a "better" driver could result in better or worse performance.

Hopefully your diaphragms just broke, and were not overpowered.  So a replacement diaphragm would work just fine.

There may be a white sticker on the side, that starts with 67-xxxx.  That would be a good indicator of the particular model.  67 is eminances loudspeaker manufacturer code #.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 01:21:19 PM »

Then it might be the 2nd version of the driver.

I "think" (but could be wrong, I've slept since the 80s when they first came out) the 1st version was screw on only.  But the second version was bolt or screw on, 8 or 16 ohm.

I would not replace the driver, but just the diaphragm.
There were "Series I" and Series II" PSD 2002 diaphragms, I had both in bolt on versions. As far as I know, the "Series I" are no longer available (as of ten years ago...), and the drivers themselves had no marking differences to denote a difference between the two. The differences between the two was primarily in the VHF response, and probably will not be a big deal for the OP, as long as he matches the correct impedance.

The OP could check the impedance of one of the woofers and compare it to the working diaphragm, if it measures near the same, it is likely an 8 ohm, if it measures about twice as high, it is 16 ohm.

Art

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »

So I can go to parts express and buy replacement drivers and it should sound ok? I saw a few of the PSD 2002 series on their website for different prices which one would you recommend?

Contact Community Professional Loudspeakers.  They should have parts (diaphragms) or suggestions for after market replacements if their stock is depleted.

I'll say this one more time before ignoring this topic...

You can't 'improve' a loudspeaker by making non-OEM component swaps.  What you accomplish is to create a "Frankenspeaker" that looses value compared to an original version; you'll spend whatever amount and have near zero recovery value when you try to sell them off.... and it probably won't sound right, either.  Not that the CSX series were great to begin with (although as budget speakers go they were reasonable good) but there's no reason to sabotage their performance.

You need to figure out *why* you're blowing HF or you'll be repeating this like the Groundhog Day movie...

Then fix these, play the birthday party and sell them.  Buy speakers that will deliver the SPL you need for the work you do... or be prepared to do this all over again.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2018, 02:12:06 PM »

Contact Community Professional Loudspeakers.  They should have parts (diaphragms) or suggestions for after market replacements if their stock is depleted.

I'll say this one more time before ignoring this topic...

You can't 'improve' a loudspeaker by making non-OEM component swaps.  What you accomplish is to create a "Frankenspeaker" that looses value compared to an original version; you'll spend whatever amount and have near zero recovery value when you try to sell them off.... and it probably won't sound right, either.  Not that the CSX series were great to begin with (although as budget speakers go they were reasonable good) but there's no reason to sabotage their performance.

You need to figure out *why* you're blowing HF or you'll be repeating this like the Groundhog Day movie...

Then fix these, play the birthday party and sell them.  Buy speakers that will deliver the SPL you need for the work you do... or be prepared to do this all over again.
You are totally correct.

But I still stand by my comments that the diaphragms may have just broken.

The CSX series first came out in the mid 80s or so.  So the cabinets might be pretty old.

I have never personally seen a diaphragm that has been "blown up", that had the HPCCRs (the "bulbs") in Community products.  But I have seen a number of the bulbs go bad.  Since he measured them and they appear to be fine, I don't think that is the problem.

We will get a better idea when we see CLEAR photos of the voice coils of the diaphragms.

While those Eminance drivers are not the best sounding ones, they are pretty durable.  And that was the main goal for the intended market.

Community always made good use out of inexpensive components.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2018, 02:14:25 PM »

There were "Series I" and Series II" PSD 2002 diaphragms, I had both in bolt on versions. As far as I know, the "Series I" are no longer available (as of ten years ago...), and the drivers themselves had no marking differences to denote a difference between the two. The differences between the two was primarily in the VHF response, and probably will not be a big deal for the OP, as long as he matches the correct impedance.

I have "heard" (cannot confirm) that the phase plug was different.  I also "heard" that the series II diaphragms would fit the series I, but not the other way around.

So maybe the dome shape/depth was different, but the voice coil diameter was the same.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Nicholas Johnson

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 03:56:17 AM »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 07:49:05 AM »

Can you show some sideways shots of the coil itself.

It doesn't look to have gotten hot.

Look for small black spots, and take a photo of them (if there are any).

From the little I can see, it appears as if they have just broken from age, bad connection etc.

So simply putting the correct replacement in would be fine.

But I can't really see clear enough

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 07:49:05 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.