ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Clogged fog heater  (Read 14108 times)

David Allred

Clogged fog heater
« on: February 02, 2018, 11:15:07 AM »

I had a cheap broken 700w fogger given to me to poke around on.  I spent $6 to replace the bad pump, then the heater clogged.  Tried pumping vinegar though it.... no help.  The fluid line is SS.  The ID is less than .043 (an .042 drill bit will not go).  Two .018 wires will fit, so I am guessing .038-ish.  90-ish psi rubber tipped blower with a "high-pitched fart" seal won't pass air.

The aluminum block is 3 1/4" long and 1 5/8" w.  From what I gather, the tube snakes thru the block, so I estimated between 4 - 5" of length inside the block.  The exposed part of the tube is about 7" with a couple of loop bends.

I have been able to snake an .018 wire about 1/2" in to the block on the entrance end, and about an inch on the exit end.  I presume to the first internal turns. 

I don't want to buy a fog machine (I haven't used one at a gig in a dozen years - alarms and all), or buy a heater.  This is a project.

Would an ultrasonic cleaner breakup the blockage?  Will the cleaning solution (which I assume has to contact the blockage for the waves to do their thing) be able to travel up such a small channel (even on the exit end)?

I would consider buying a cleaner if it will unclog the heater, because I could then use it to clean the wife's jewelry and maybe other stuff too.  But I would not buy it to clean other stuff if it won't do the trick for the heater.

I thought about taking it to a jewelry store, but I don't know if they would do it.

Final question:  Any danger to ceramic coating on the elements?

Thanks,
David

Jason Fultz

Re: Clogged fog heater
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 06:57:49 PM »

I had a cheap broken 700w fogger given to me to poke around on.  I spent $6 to replace the bad pump, then the heater clogged.  Tried pumping vinegar though it.... no help.  The fluid line is SS.  The ID is less than .043 (an .042 drill bit will not go).  Two .018 wires will fit, so I am guessing .038-ish.  90-ish psi rubber tipped blower with a "high-pitched fart" seal won't pass air.

The aluminum block is 3 1/4" long and 1 5/8" w.  From what I gather, the tube snakes thru the block, so I estimated between 4 - 5" of length inside the block.  The exposed part of the tube is about 7" with a couple of loop bends.

I have been able to snake an .018 wire about 1/2" in to the block on the entrance end, and about an inch on the exit end.  I presume to the first internal turns. 

I don't want to buy a fog machine (I haven't used one at a gig in a dozen years - alarms and all), or buy a heater.  This is a project.

Would an ultrasonic cleaner breakup the blockage?  Will the cleaning solution (which I assume has to contact the blockage for the waves to do their thing) be able to travel up such a small channel (even on the exit end)?

I would consider buying a cleaner if it will unclog the heater, because I could then use it to clean the wife's jewelry and maybe other stuff too.  But I would not buy it to clean other stuff if it won't do the trick for the heater.

I thought about taking it to a jewelry store, but I don't know if they would do it.

Final question:  Any danger to ceramic coating on the elements?

Thanks,
David

I have used a syringe and CLR successfully a number of times.
Syringe on the inlet side with a silicon tube over it sealed with a couple of small zip ties.
Pressured up a little in a catch pan over night should get it cleared.
I have used this method a lot and restored heaters to like new condition.

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 11:47:03 AM »

Syringe on the inlet side with a silicon tube over it sealed with a couple of small zip ties.

CLR?  That crossed my mind.  Good idea about the pressured sirringe.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 04:20:36 PM by David Allred »

David Allred

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 04:37:10 PM »

:) :) :)
Success.  Same principle, but I went in reverse.  This heater had a 1/8 straight pipe on the exit.  I got a fem-fem and a plug.  Teflon taped them up.  Screwed on the coupler loosely and filled with clr then screwed in the plug then tightened them to act as a hydraulic piston.  Started getting output almost instantly followed by flakes of stuff.  Several refills of clr, then vinegar, then distilled water.  I tjink tjis metjod would fix any heater clog as long as it has threaded inlet or outlet.

Thanks to Jason for the pressure concept.

Jason Fultz

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 04:41:02 PM »

Cool man! Good luck with your toy!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 02:36:51 PM »

Cool man! Good luck with your toy!

You can also chuck a guitar string up into a drill and run it inside the tube. Sometimes that action will get it unplugged.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 10:24:40 AM »

CLR?  That crossed my mind.  Good idea about the pressured sirringe.

Thanks.

what is CLR ??

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 02:27:07 PM »

what is CLR ??
Go to your profile and enter your real name and we'll tell you.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 10:26:10 AM »

Go to your profile and enter your real name and we'll tell you.

Done

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »

CLR = Calcium Lime Rust remover. Typically found in any big box/grocery/hardware store here in the States.

https://clrbrands.com/Products/CLR-Household/CLR-Calcium-Lime-Rust-Remover

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.