ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a PSU cap for Crest 8001 amp  (Read 17032 times)

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Looking for a PSU cap for Crest 8001 amp
« on: February 01, 2018, 12:26:35 PM »

Hello all. A while back one of my old steam powered Crest 8001 amps blew the oil plug on one of the PSU caps. I've tried and tried to source one from somewhere including Peavey/Crest, folks who used to repair them, and every component vendor I can think of. But nobody uses these monster caps anymore so nobody builds them either. It was probably a custom run for Crest anyway since there are caps of same values but are physically larger and won't fit in the amp. I'm thinking some of you might have busted, spare parts 8001s laying around since they were pretty ubiquitous. I'd be will to pay the rate of a new cap for a used one in decent  condition - i.e. has not blown the oil out the plug ;)

I'd hate to toss this amp, it was working great until the cap blew.

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
Re: Looking for a PSU cap for Crest 8001 amp
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:33:09 PM »

Hello all. A while back one of my old steam powered Crest 8001 amps blew the oil plug on one of the PSU caps. I've tried and tried to source one from somewhere including Peavey/Crest, folks who used to repair them, and every component vendor I can think of. But nobody uses these monster caps anymore so nobody builds them either. It was probably a custom run for Crest anyway since there are caps of same values but are physically larger and won't fit in the amp. I'm thinking some of you might have busted, spare parts 8001s laying around since they were pretty ubiquitous. I'd be will to pay the rate of a new cap for a used one in decent  condition - i.e. has not blown the oil out the plug ;)

Is it screw based?

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 12:36:12 PM »

This one has a higher voltage (no problem).  You can compare the size but it looks close.

https://www.tedss.com/2020062953

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 01:20:02 PM »

While not ideal you could mount the cap remotely with pigtail leads to connect in circuit. Of course wire needs to be reasonably heavy gauge.

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 02:23:18 PM »

While not ideal you could mount the cap remotely with pigtail leads to connect in circuit. Of course wire needs to be reasonably heavy gauge.

JR

That's a great option in a pinch.

Mike Maki

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 04:39:33 PM »

I'd hate to toss this amp, it was working great until the cap blew.

Greg

I don't doubt you could find something that will fit at DigiKey. They have a parametric search that will narrow it down quickly.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 06:19:35 PM »

Is it screw based?

Screw terminals, yes.

Cameron Pro Audio

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 06:20:50 PM »

This one has a higher voltage (no problem).  You can compare the size but it looks close.

https://www.tedss.com/2020062953

Tedess was one of the first vendors I checked. This cap is only 2" diameter and about 4 1/16" tall. It's pretty compact for it's capacitance and voltage.

Cameron Pro Audio

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 06:22:17 PM »

JR

Well, there's no room in the amp itself at all, they packed it tight ;)  A colostomy bag style cap would probably not be a good idea for a "portable" amp  ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:43:32 PM by Greg Cameron »

Cameron Pro Audio

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 06:25:13 PM »

I don't doubt you could find something that will fit at DigiKey. They have a parametric search that will narrow it down quickly.

Digikey doesn't have anything close. I think the only option is a used one out of an already cannibalized or broken 8001. Which is why I'm asking here. I figure one of us other old timers has some of these laying around. The Rat Sound shop thought they had some of these caps, but haven't been able to locate them. Probably in box that's 15 years old and buried on the back of a shelf somewhere...

Cameron Pro Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 06:25:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 25 queries.