ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASA1 with QLXD question  (Read 2395 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
ASA1 with QLXD question
« on: February 01, 2018, 05:50:27 AM »

The Sennheiser ASA1 antenna distro covers the RF range of the QLXD receivers I am considering. No problem there.
However, there is DC voltage on the coax that powers the Sennheiser receivers. I know that will not power the QLXD receivers.
The questions is, will it be a problem for the QLXD receivers to have DC on the antenna inputs?
The Shure UA844SWB is not all that expensive but it would be nice to use the distros I have available.

The same question applies with using the Shure IEm transmitters with the Sennheiser AC3 which has DC on the co-ax.

I would "imagine" there are DC blocking caps to protect the RF stage in both the Shure IEM and mic receivers but it's worth asking anyway.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:05:23 AM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: ASA1 with QLXD question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 08:07:00 AM »

Now I have had a coffee, I see the problem. :o

The mic receivers already have antenna bias voltage on them so using the Sennheiser antenna amp is a non starter!
The SHure antenna distro will be purchased.

However, the question still remains for the IEM transmitters to the Sennheiser combiner.
It's worth looking into as there are 2 of them in the IEM kit so money can be saved.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:36:45 AM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Adam Dumbacher

• Bluewood Productions
ASA1 with QLXD question
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 09:30:56 AM »

RF Venue Distro 4 might be a good purchase for you. I’ve been using them so I can use either brand of wireless. Their antennas are great as well.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 09:20:43 PM »

I don't typically necro threads, but I was recently wondering something similar about the ASA 214 (the ASA 1's G4 replacement), and since this thread is one of the few useful search results for "QLXD ASA" I figured I'd add to the knowledge base here.

{...} The mic receivers already have antenna bias voltage on them so using the Sennheiser antenna amp is a non starter! {...}

I'm not sure I agree with this logic, for the same reason that connecting two consoles' inputs that both have phantom power turned on using a y-cable really shouldn't blow anything up. Either way, according to Shure, the QLXD4 doesn't supply bias voltage on its antenna inputs.

In the end, just to be certain, I contacted Shure support, and their response was "QLXD receivers have DC protection on the antenna inputs, you should be fine".

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 09:20:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.