ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Loudest and Lowest subwoofers for the money...no size limit  (Read 16809 times)

Michael Leppert

Re: Loudest and Lowest subwoofers for the money...no size limit
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 04:26:08 AM »

If you can build a speaker you can certainly program the limiters on the amplifier.

So the room is 1500sq feet?  That's smaller than my basement.  Are you trying to liquify internal organs or break up kidney stones?

Hmmmm...I may have underestimated the size. Let me check

Michael Leppert

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 04:32:27 AM »

Hmmmm...I may have underestimated the size. Let me check

Actually it is 25' by 40'. However it has a large hallway that connects to it and two large doors that are often left open to the outdoors during parties which bleed a lot of the sound pressure out.

Honestly I wouldn't be apposed to an externally amped system but the amp would half to be something like an inuke 6kdsp where I can set limiters and a HP filter internally where people cant's F it up.

Sean Mormelo

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 02:51:36 PM »

I have the Folcrum designed Presonus AI speakers and for the Money they KILL...The 18” subs shred anything else in the price range I’ve heard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 03:28:07 PM »

Tune it to 33 and have fun.

I do not consider 33hz to be "low" or "deep"

What is your low/deep requirement then?

If going the DIY route, then the Keystone 21" variant is probably the best bang for buck. XTI series amps or a speakerpower plate amp will get you amplification.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Michael Leppert

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 06:52:47 PM »

I do not consider 33hz to be "low" or "deep"

What is your low/deep requirement then?

If going the DIY route, then the Keystone 21" variant is probably the best bang for buck. XTI series amps or a speakerpower plate amp will get you amplification.

Tuned to 33 it would probably get down to upper 20s.

I found a JBL SRX728s cab for a pretty good price, would that running off 1600-2000wrms be a good combo for these purposes? The amp I am looking at has a digitally configurable limiter and highpass filter to help add some layers of safety.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 07:24:54 PM »

Tuned to 33 it would probably get down to upper 20s.

I found a JBL SRX728s cab for a pretty good price, would that running off 1600-2000wrms be a good combo for these purposes? The amp I am looking at has a digitally configurable limiter and highpass filter to help add some layers of safety.

Not safely, below port tuning the woofer becomes unloaded and essentially 'flaps' easily hitting xmax and causing damage.

Lots of people like/use the 7 series, Scott does I believe
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 07:43:04 PM »

So just to ask the question, why not simply get another pair of what you already have?  Doing so would give you some nice ability to scale versus having a mixed bag of products.  If you must buy something different, Yorkville has some options that might be worth considering.  Honestly though, for the money you have to spend I doubt one option will really blow another out of the water, whereas expanding on what you already have can help maximize your investment.  Just my two cents, and good luck!

Michael Leppert

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 08:05:12 PM »

Not safely, below port tuning the woofer becomes unloaded and essentially 'flaps' easily hitting xmax and causing damage.

That's why I would configure a 24 db/oct higpass 2-3hz below tuning on the amp's dsp. I figure that plus a combo peak voltage and rms limiter would make the setup pretty simple to keep safe.

So just to ask the question, why not simply get another pair of what you already have?  Doing so would give you some nice ability to scale versus having a mixed bag of products.  If you must buy something different, Yorkville has some options that might be worth considering.  Honestly though, for the money you have to spend I doubt one option will really blow another out of the water, whereas expanding on what you already have can help maximize your investment.  Just my two cents, and good luck!

Honestly I've just read a lot of negativity about Mackie as a brand and have been reading good things about these JBLs and EVs. Can anybody chime in on if there would be a big difference in volume and LF bandwidth between a 728 box on 1.6~2k rms vs 2 EV EKX18sp or even 2 Mackie SRM1850 for that matter? I know this is rather specific.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:08:08 PM by Michael Leppert »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 08:19:43 PM »

There is a lot to consider here.

As a general rule, the lower you go in freq, the quieter the sub will be (everything else being equal).

So you must choose low or loud.

Often the "best band for the buck" is the more expensive sub.

The reason being that it would take more of the cheaper subs to equal the same output, and the total cost of those extra subs would be more than the expensive sub.

It is not always a simple decision, with lots of variables.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 08:32:13 PM »

Quote from: Nathan Riddle link=topic=166255.msg1533437#msg1533437 date=1517531094

[/quote

I have STX 8 series, QSC KW, FBT  LA and Meyer 650 subs .

I have never run the newer SRx power 7's

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 08:32:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.