ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Loudest and Lowest subwoofers for the money...no size limit  (Read 16980 times)

Michael Leppert

Loudest and Lowest subwoofers for the money...no size limit
« on: February 01, 2018, 02:07:56 AM »

Hey guys I'm new here and was looking for advice regarding a purchase I'm looking to make on behalf of my fraternity.

We are looking to buy some new sound equipment, mainly subs to complement out existing equiptment. Right now we have three rooms to fill with music in the basement and right now only 2 Mackie SRM1850's which get moved around a lot. Two of the rooms can get just one sub due to either their intended usage or size but the main party room needs new equiptment.

Right now I am looking to get 2 EV EKX18SP's used for 650 a piece. I would like to get active subs because the setup of them is a bit more idiot proof than a passive setup with amps.

Here's the thing, most of the advice I see online is regarding portability but we have no size or weight limit. It is basically a permanent install for these and we just want to get the loudest deepest sound for the money. Budget for subs is around 1500 tops and used vs new equipment doesn't matter.

If anybody has any advice on equipment I should look out for on eBay or Craigslist that would be awesome.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:31:25 AM by Michael Leppert »

Len Zenith Jr

Re: Loudest and Lowest subwoofers for the money...no size limit
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 02:14:54 AM »

If anybody has any advice on equipment I should look out for on eBay or Craigslist that would be awesome.

My first question would be where are you? Shipping subs can eat up a budget pretty quick.

Michael Leppert

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 02:22:57 AM »

My first question would be where are you? Shipping subs can eat up a budget pretty quick.

Indiana, the EKX's I found were 650 shipped used.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 03:11:54 AM »

EAW Otto

http://eaw.com/portfolio_page/otto-adaptive-subwoofer/

Might be a bit over your budget, but it's a hell of a sub.

Michael Leppert

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 03:22:52 AM »

EAW Otto

http://eaw.com/portfolio_page/otto-adaptive-subwoofer/

Might be a bit over your budget, but it's a hell of a sub.

That thing just LOOKS expensive lol. There is actually a dealer not too too far from us so I'll call for a quote tomorrow.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 03:30:32 AM »

What's your budget?

www.danleysoundlabs.com/the-matterhorn/  Check out the video link at the bottom of the page.

Oh, something you can actually buy? 

https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/bc-horns/bc-415/
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Michael Leppert

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 03:47:45 AM »

What's your budget?

www.danleysoundlabs.com/the-matterhorn/  Check out the video link at the bottom of the page.

Oh, something you can actually buy? 

https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/bc-horns/bc-415/

$1500 US.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 04:05:19 AM »

That thing just LOOKS expensive lol. There is actually a dealer not too too far from us so I'll call for a quote tomorrow.

He is joking.  Those are like 15k list I think. 

If size doesn't matter you should but some $600 drivers (let us help you pick them out) and build some giant boxes about the size of a refrigerator.

If that appeals to you there are folks here that can help you with the math to calculate box size, ports and things for the drivers.  With no limit on size you should be able to get some good extension.

What type of music?  How large is the room?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Michael Leppert

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 04:19:04 AM »

He is joking.  Those are like 15k list I think. 

If size doesn't matter you should but some $600 drivers (let us help you pick them out) and build some giant boxes about the size of a refrigerator.

If that appeals to you there are folks here that can help you with the math to calculate box size, ports and things for the drivers.  With no limit on size you should be able to get some good extension.

What type of music?  How large is the room?

The music choice is heavy on EDM and Rap. The main room is rectangular approximately 25-30' by 40-50ft.

My main worry about going for a DIY design (or any externally amplified design) is just the lack of idiot proofing. I feel like the built in subsonic filters and soft limiters in active subs would prevent the average dude from breaking things. You know, because it's not loud unit it's bottoming out and clipping...

I have actually done some speaker design myself and if it was always going to be me behind the controls I would build a double 21 bin with B&C 21SW152's and throw 5k RMS at it. Tune it to 33 and have fun.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 04:21:41 AM »

The music choice is heavy on EDM and Rap. The main room is rectangular approximately 25-30' by 40-50ft.

My main worry about going for a DIY design (or any externally amplified design) is just the lack of idiot proofing. I feel like the built in subsonic filters and soft limiters in active subs would prevent the average dude from breaking things. You know, because it's not loud unit it's bottoming out and clipping...

I have actually done some speaker design myself and if it was always going to be me behind the controls I would build a double 21 bin with B&C 21SW152's and throw 5k RMS at it. Tune it to 33 and have fun.

If you can build a speaker you can certainly program the limiters on the amplifier.

So the room is 1500sq feet?  That's smaller than my basement.  Are you trying to liquify internal organs or break up kidney stones? 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 04:21:41 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.