ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Loudest and Lowest subwoofers for the money...no size limit  (Read 16808 times)

Craig Hamilton

Re: Loudest and Lowest subwoofers for the money...no size limit
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 11:54:05 PM »

My favorite subs especially for EDM that I have worked with are PK Sound CX-800 which I own 12 of and the new RCF SUB 9007-AS which a local venue has 4 of.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 03:49:02 AM »

If size isn't a problem, a big horn is the only way to go.

Eminence LAB12 drivers are cheap, and the LAB Horn IIRC reaches below 30Hz. You need a few to flatten the low-end response, but you'll have budget for a few of them.

I expect a good-sized pile of LAB Horns to do quite well vs any of the subs mentioned so far.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

duane massey

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 12:40:24 AM »

Size is no object? Here you go:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153440701834545&set=pb.756404544.-2207520000.1517895587.&type=3&theater
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

John Finney

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 08:08:58 AM »

Hey guys I'm new here and was looking for advice regarding a purchase I'm looking to make on behalf of my fraternity.

We are looking to buy some new sound equipment, mainly subs to complement out existing equiptment. Right now we have three rooms to fill with music in the basement and right now only 2 Mackie SRM1850's which get moved around a lot. Two of the rooms can get just one sub due to either their intended usage or size but the main party room needs new equiptment.

Right now I am looking to get 2 EV EKX18SP's used for 650 a piece. I would like to get active subs because the setup of them is a bit more idiot proof than a passive setup with amps.

Here's the thing, most of the advice I see online is regarding portability but we have no size or weight limit. It is basically a permanent install for these and we just want to get the loudest deepest sound for the money. Budget for subs is around 1500 tops and used vs new equipment doesn't matter.

If anybody has any advice on equipment I should look out for on eBay or Craigslist that would be awesome.
$1500 may not get you much in the way of low extention, "loudness", or musicality... and two of the B&C drivers (I have Othorns with them) you mentioned are way over your budget, but perhaps some of the diy subs mentioned here would keep you closer to your price point, AND know that plate amps do not always have the dsp/limiter you seem to be looking for.

As for the EV/JBL vs Mackie  thing, well... er and well it may be that EV and JBL ( I have some powered EV ETX and some unpowered JBL SR stuff too) make better stuff than some other speaker companies, but then you are not looking at their best stuff anyhoo...

ugh Yorkville powered 21" subs used are an option you may want to check out on the ebay web.

I think you should hear the speakers you have mentioned before you decide as you may be underwhelmed on both counts (low and loud).

I agree with all that has been said here, and as Ivan said you get what you pay for, and you kinda wanna choose.

My next sub buy will most likely be for loud and compact over big n low. Looking at a pair TH-Mini and looking for a cheep used pair of UCS1b.

Happy sub hunting!

John Finney
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:30:41 AM by John Finney »
SPL TD-1 x4, Yorkville Unity UCS1b Subs x4, Othorn Subs w/B&C 21SW152-4 drivers x2, Danley SH-100 x2, Danley TH-28 x2, Yorkville Unity U215 x2, EV ETX15p x4, EVXLTB15 x2, Tannoy V12 x2, Danley DSLP4800, XTA DP200, Yorkville U215 Processor, QSC PLD 4.5 x3, Crown MA12000i. also EAW, Meyer, JBL, Yamaha o1V ver2, QSC Touchmix 30

John Finney

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 08:18:26 AM »

Sorry guys, so spaces are our friends.

"Space is the place" Sun Ra

John Finney
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:29:30 AM by John Finney »
SPL TD-1 x4, Yorkville Unity UCS1b Subs x4, Othorn Subs w/B&C 21SW152-4 drivers x2, Danley SH-100 x2, Danley TH-28 x2, Yorkville Unity U215 x2, EV ETX15p x4, EVXLTB15 x2, Tannoy V12 x2, Danley DSLP4800, XTA DP200, Yorkville U215 Processor, QSC PLD 4.5 x3, Crown MA12000i. also EAW, Meyer, JBL, Yamaha o1V ver2, QSC Touchmix 30

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 12:12:07 PM »

I think that one corner loaded SRX728 will do the job more then good.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »

People are often surprised at what proper placement can do for a sub.

It may not "look right", but placement can be your friend-especially if you need "free SPL"
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Schalk

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2018, 03:32:33 PM »

Used SRX728s in good condition are going for ~$1,000 and a new iNuke NU6000DSP is $400, so you would be $100 under budget with this combination.  The NU6000 has a measured output of 1.2kW @ 31Hz into 8 ohms stereo long term (1 minute) and you can configure the 728 to allow you to drive both speakers independently by moving a jumper on the input plate.  I think that combination would produce a lot of thump in a 1,000 square foot room and you would not be stressing any part of the system if you keep things "out of the red."  How close are your neighbors? 

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 05:03:41 PM »

I do not consider 33hz to be "low" or "deep"

What is your low/deep requirement then?

If going the DIY route, then the Keystone 21" variant is probably the best bang for buck.
Nathan,
Funny you don't consider 33hz to be "low" or "deep", then recommend the Keystone, which has a 35Hz Fb.

I have four Keystone "B-Low" for sale now, they have a 33 Hz Fb,(31Hz with the "step down" plate) but won't make it to Indiana for the OP's budget.

Art
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:10:12 PM by Art Welter »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 09:36:54 PM »

My next sub buy will most likely be for loud and compact over big n low. Looking at a pair TH-Mini and looking for a cheep used pair of UCS1b.

I’m a UCS1 owner/user, and neither compact nor loud really come to mind with them.  Don’t get me wrong, I really like them, but I’d think to consider something truly compact you’d be looking at a non-horn design or maybe something like a Growler, or something truly loud to be at a whole different price point.  They also don’t get particularly loud, but in multiples I’d consider their performance to be “sufficient”.  They’re good for the money but still definitely a budget box.  Art’s subs will get louder and lower, and we have the A:B test data to prove it!  Good luck with the search though! 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 09:36:54 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.