ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you think that mismatched cable length makes any difference for FOH speakers?  (Read 7409 times)

duane massey

Long answer: nooooooooooooooo.......
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA

Not until the cable length difference becomes greater.  And then it's not a time difference, it's a level/frequency response difference.

Even though most here say the cabling issue is not a problem, in a lot of venues, one sub does sound punchier than the other. When I take a moment to stand in front of each one and listen carefully, they both sound good, but one sub seems to have more life than the other. They are identical and, as far as I can tell, set up the same. I guess they just sound slightly different for some other reason.

Recently, I did mark the one that sounded weaker with gaff tape and then tested them at home the next day. They both sounded identical in my work shop. Go figure. (Hence the questions here about cable length.)
Member since 2005.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

Even though most here say the cabling issue is not a problem, in a lot of venues, one sub does sound punchier than the other. When I take a moment to stand in front of each one and listen carefully, they both sound good, but one sub seems to have more life than the other. They are identical and, as far as I can tell, set up the same. I guess they just sound slightly different for some other reason.

Recently, I did mark the one that sounded weaker with gaff tape and then tested them at home the next day. They both sounded identical in my work shop. Go figure. (Hence the questions here about cable length.)

All speakers, especially subs, are affected by the walls, floor and ceiling. Also, the distance between the subs.
All of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA

No on cables.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

If you were on passive subs and one side had a 100' 18ga cable and the other had a 10', 8ga cable I'd say yeah, it makes a difference... but in your example the answer is No.  Nyet.  Nada. Zip.

I believe Rob Spence has identified the most likely culprit - reflections.  I found out how much relatively small objects can screw up dual channel FFT measurements by trying to measure and compare full range loudspeakers.  Moving them around the shop (the changing geometry) meant that the same box would not measure the same upon repeating the measurement.

And if it measures differently it probably auditions differently as well.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB

If you're interested in some of the theory behind 10' vs 50' of line-level audio cable not making an audible difference, here's a RaneNote that goes into some detail about what long cables do to line-level audio.

-Russ

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN

It's too bad this thread was such a tempest of disagreement.  Might be a LAB record.

David Allred

With different length cables?  Prove the point and connect all the xlr cables you have together on one sub.  Then swap subs and cables.

One alternative question.  Are you running stereo subs, or mono?

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico

1)Even though most here say the cabling issue is not a problem, in a lot of venues, one sub does sound punchier than the other.
2)They are identical and, as far as I can tell, set up the same.
3)I guess they just sound slightly different for some other reason.
4)Recently, I did mark the one that sounded weaker with gaff tape and then tested them at home the next day. They both sounded identical in my work shop. Go figure. (Hence the questions here about cable length.)
Gordon,

1) The length of the XLR cable between 10' & 50' should make no difference assuming they are low resistance, not corroded junk.
That said, the powered subs are powered from two different AC cables and no mention has been made of them. Those cables, and the wire in the circuit they are connected to can make a big difference.
2) Did you use the same circuit and AC cord length and AWG for both sides?
3) Both room acoustics and different voltage drop on either sub are likely reasons.
4) I would figure, given the subs sounded identical in a controlled environment, the power voltage level, as well as room differences are the differences you heard on the gigs.

I have measured as much as 6 dB SPL less sub output simply due to "brown-out", voltage drop.

Cheers,
Art

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound

Yes, it makes a difference, but only to those with "Golden Ears".  Find someone with a $100,000.00+ home stereo and he will be able to hear it!  Unfortunately, though this reply is somewhat in jest, I'm not really kidding.

I won't be able to hear the difference.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.