ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Srx815p and Srx818sp settings  (Read 17010 times)

Jonathan Arce

Srx815p and Srx818sp settings
« on: January 30, 2018, 03:26:09 AM »

Hi there I'm new to this forum I have read a few threads about you guys that have these speakers(srx815p,srx818sp) what settings you recommend me?

I just use srx top on my subs and srx sub on the tops also I run tops at 0db and subs at 8...I'm curious to see how you guys setting up yours..

I heard about added gain but don't know much about it..

Steve Garris

Re: Srx815p and Srx818sp settings
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 01:22:23 PM »

Hi there I'm new to this forum I have read a few threads about you guys that have these speakers(srx815p,srx818sp) what settings you recommend me?

I just use srx top on my subs and srx sub on the tops also I run tops at 0db and subs at 8...I'm curious to see how you guys setting up yours..

You best bet is to run the subs at max volume, and set your top volume to taste. If both top & bottom are SRX series then you should absolutely use their settings. The added gain is done by connecting the speakers via wifi to a computer or ipad, and turning up the make-up gain on the speaker's compressor. I do not recommend playing with these settings. I run my 815 tops at +5.5 with my 818's at full - +12 I think.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 01:30:46 PM »

That's the way you're supposed to do it, at least regarding the presets.

The "added gain" is not necessary unless someone glued-in-place your mixer's main output controls.  ;)

Seriously, there were early users who were accustomed to speakers with a greater input sensitivity and for some reason could not understand that all they needed to do was turn up the mixer outputs by 6dB or so.  A convoluted work-around was found involving the compressor at the *input* stage of the SRX8xx but, as I said, isn't needed. It will NOT make the speakers have a greater available output; they'll simply get loud with less mixer output.

I'd run the subs WFO (Wide Freakin' Open) and adjust the 815 to balance to taste.  When you're "out of sub" you're at your max volume for the tonal balance you desire.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 02:14:08 PM »

Yep - I agree with the others ... run subs at about full and adjust tops appropriately. Set SRX subs HP at 'TOP' and SRX Tops at 'SUB' and you'll be fine.

Your settings sound fine if that is all the SPL you require and you like the subs to be a bit louder.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jonathan Arce

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 06:10:18 PM »

You best bet is to run the subs at max volume, and set your top volume to taste. If both top & bottom are SRX series then you should absolutely use their settings. The added gain is done by connecting the speakers via wifi to a computer or ipad, and turning up the make-up gain on the speaker's compressor. I do not recommend playing with these settings. I run my 815 tops at +5.5 with my 818's at full - +12 I think.

Thanks for the info this weekend i will try my both subs at full..my 815p I usually ran them at 0db and..I really don't want to mess with the compressor settings or the app lol..

Jonathan Arce

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 06:12:27 PM »

That's the way you're supposed to do it, at least regarding the presets.

The "added gain" is not necessary unless someone glued-in-place your mixer's main output controls.  ;)

Seriously, there were early users who were accustomed to speakers with a greater input sensitivity and for some reason could not understand that all they needed to do was turn up the mixer outputs by 6dB or so.  A convoluted work-around was found involving the compressor at the *input* stage of the SRX8xx but, as I said, isn't needed. It will NOT make the speakers have a greater available output; they'll simply get loud with less mixer output.

I'd run the subs WFO (Wide Freakin' Open) and adjust the 815 to balance to taste.  When you're "out of sub" you're at your max volume for the tonal balance you desire.
Thank you i will run the subs at full...I came from 1 Yorkville ls801p and these srx818sp sound way better but 1 York is still loud lol...I'll chime back in when use them at full

Jonathan Arce

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 06:14:25 PM »

Yep - I agree with the others ... run subs at about full and adjust tops appropriately. Set SRX subs HP at 'TOP' and SRX Tops at 'SUB' and you'll be fine.

Your settings sound fine if that is all the SPL you require and you like the subs to be a bit louder.
Yes so far I'm loving that setting,at first I was thinking to use the 100hz on both but seems the srx top and bottom settings are better..

I might get a srx828sp down the line hope I can connect all together too..

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 05:02:51 PM »

I was one of the early " convoluted " users who may have invented the " make up gain " trick as a work around to the impression of low output. With the testing I had done, my findings were you actually could acquire a couple db of extra output vs. what the metering was telling you.

The basic facts are simple though.

1. The speaker will put out the same peak SPL regardless of what you do with the settings.

2. The speaker has a lower input sensitivity than most are used to requiring that you either run a hotter signal to the speaker, or even simpler, turn the speakers master levels up.

3. The use of any tricks to get the needed SPL are not needed once you get accustomed to the way the speakers work.

I had two sets that I initially had installed in two venues and that is when I was trying to find a way to make it seem like the speaker was doing less work for the same output. I wanted to ensure longevity. I initially felt that the speakers were out of room and that I had to push too hard to get the desired SPL. I soon learned that the speakers have a very large amount of safety built into them. The limiting starts early and remains very subtle until it needs to actually do some work. The point in which the limiting actually starts to become noticeable is usually well after you have acquired plenty of SPL at normal distances and under normal and expected use.

I currently own a set of SRX812's and the SRX818's and as a proof of concept to myself I ran them at their respective unity gains ( 0db and no increase in master level ) to see how they worked for me under my normal running conditions. I found that I needed no change to the settings on the speaker. I ran with the SRX tops and SRX subs settings as suggested. I ran the subs on an aux which I think is essential. I didn't find that I needed any more drive signal level than before to get the desired SPL.

There is a new Firmware that is out for the SRX line now and that may have something to do with that? I did the update before I made my maiden voyage with my set of speakers. They don't mention a change in metering in the release notes though.

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Jonathan Arce

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 07:34:45 PM »

I was one of the early " convoluted " users who may have invented the " make up gain " trick as a work around to the impression of low output. With the testing I had done, my findings were you actually could acquire a couple db of extra output vs. what the metering was telling you.

The basic facts are simple though.

1. The speaker will put out the same peak SPL regardless of what you do with the settings.

2. The speaker has a lower input sensitivity than most are used to requiring that you either run a hotter signal to the speaker, or even simpler, turn the speakers master levels up.

3. The use of any tricks to get the needed SPL are not needed once you get accustomed to the way the speakers work.

I had two sets that I initially had installed in two venues and that is when I was trying to find a way to make it seem like the speaker was doing less work for the same output. I wanted to ensure longevity. I initially felt that the speakers were out of room and that I had to push too hard to get the desired SPL. I soon learned that the speakers have a very large amount of safety built into them. The limiting starts early and remains very subtle until it needs to actually do some work. The point in which the limiting actually starts to become noticeable is usually well after you have acquired plenty of SPL at normal distances and under normal and expected use.

I currently own a set of SRX812's and the SRX818's and as a proof of concept to myself I ran them at their respective unity gains ( 0db and no increase in master level ) to see how they worked for me under my normal running conditions. I found that I needed no change to the settings on the speaker. I ran with the SRX tops and SRX subs settings as suggested. I ran the subs on an aux which I think is essential. I didn't find that I needed any more drive signal level than before to get the desired SPL.

There is a new Firmware that is out for the SRX line now and that may have something to do with that? I did the update before I made my maiden voyage with my set of speakers. They don't mention a change in metering in the release notes though.
I read about the make up gain in here right now it seems like running my 2 srx818sp subs at full is perfect...hope I don't need the make up gain in future...and my srx815p at 0db or when I get bigger gigs at 6...also with srx top and bottom settings....

When I first got the srx815p I noticed that I needed to feed them more power....i had one of the srx815p amp went out last year with almost no volume it would just make a popping noise and would turn on and off it was a faulty amp and got a brand new one from jbl good warranty.

About the firmware update I remember doing a update for my srx815ps...i gotta check later if my srx818sp have the newest one...hope it's something good lol.

Steve Garris

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 12:49:54 PM »

I read about the make up gain in here right now it seems like running my 2 srx818sp subs at full is perfect...hope I don't need the make up gain in future...and my srx815p at 0db or when I get bigger gigs at 6...also with srx top and bottom settings....

When I first got the srx815p I noticed that I needed to feed them more power....i had one of the srx815p amp went out last year with almost no volume it would just make a popping noise and would turn on and off it was a faulty amp and got a brand new one from jbl good warranty.

About the firmware update I remember doing a update for my srx815ps...i gotta check later if my srx818sp have the newest one...hope it's something good lol.

Didn't know about the firmware update - thanks!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 12:49:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 26 queries.