Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Srx815p and Srx818sp settings

<< < (2/8) > >>

Jonathan Arce:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on January 30, 2018, 01:30:46 pm ---That's the way you're supposed to do it, at least regarding the presets.

The "added gain" is not necessary unless someone glued-in-place your mixer's main output controls.  ;)

Seriously, there were early users who were accustomed to speakers with a greater input sensitivity and for some reason could not understand that all they needed to do was turn up the mixer outputs by 6dB or so.  A convoluted work-around was found involving the compressor at the *input* stage of the SRX8xx but, as I said, isn't needed. It will NOT make the speakers have a greater available output; they'll simply get loud with less mixer output.

I'd run the subs WFO (Wide Freakin' Open) and adjust the 815 to balance to taste.  When you're "out of sub" you're at your max volume for the tonal balance you desire.

--- End quote ---
Thank you i will run the subs at full...I came from 1 Yorkville ls801p and these srx818sp sound way better but 1 York is still loud lol...I'll chime back in when use them at full

Jonathan Arce:

--- Quote from: Debbie Dunkley on January 30, 2018, 02:14:08 pm ---Yep - I agree with the others ... run subs at about full and adjust tops appropriately. Set SRX subs HP at 'TOP' and SRX Tops at 'SUB' and you'll be fine.

Your settings sound fine if that is all the SPL you require and you like the subs to be a bit louder.

--- End quote ---
Yes so far I'm loving that setting,at first I was thinking to use the 100hz on both but seems the srx top and bottom settings are better..

I might get a srx828sp down the line hope I can connect all together too..

Luke Geis:
I was one of the early " convoluted " users who may have invented the " make up gain " trick as a work around to the impression of low output. With the testing I had done, my findings were you actually could acquire a couple db of extra output vs. what the metering was telling you.

The basic facts are simple though.

1. The speaker will put out the same peak SPL regardless of what you do with the settings.

2. The speaker has a lower input sensitivity than most are used to requiring that you either run a hotter signal to the speaker, or even simpler, turn the speakers master levels up.

3. The use of any tricks to get the needed SPL are not needed once you get accustomed to the way the speakers work.

I had two sets that I initially had installed in two venues and that is when I was trying to find a way to make it seem like the speaker was doing less work for the same output. I wanted to ensure longevity. I initially felt that the speakers were out of room and that I had to push too hard to get the desired SPL. I soon learned that the speakers have a very large amount of safety built into them. The limiting starts early and remains very subtle until it needs to actually do some work. The point in which the limiting actually starts to become noticeable is usually well after you have acquired plenty of SPL at normal distances and under normal and expected use.

I currently own a set of SRX812's and the SRX818's and as a proof of concept to myself I ran them at their respective unity gains ( 0db and no increase in master level ) to see how they worked for me under my normal running conditions. I found that I needed no change to the settings on the speaker. I ran with the SRX tops and SRX subs settings as suggested. I ran the subs on an aux which I think is essential. I didn't find that I needed any more drive signal level than before to get the desired SPL.

There is a new Firmware that is out for the SRX line now and that may have something to do with that? I did the update before I made my maiden voyage with my set of speakers. They don't mention a change in metering in the release notes though.

Jonathan Arce:

--- Quote from: Luke Geis on January 31, 2018, 05:02:51 pm ---I was one of the early " convoluted " users who may have invented the " make up gain " trick as a work around to the impression of low output. With the testing I had done, my findings were you actually could acquire a couple db of extra output vs. what the metering was telling you.

The basic facts are simple though.

1. The speaker will put out the same peak SPL regardless of what you do with the settings.

2. The speaker has a lower input sensitivity than most are used to requiring that you either run a hotter signal to the speaker, or even simpler, turn the speakers master levels up.

3. The use of any tricks to get the needed SPL are not needed once you get accustomed to the way the speakers work.

I had two sets that I initially had installed in two venues and that is when I was trying to find a way to make it seem like the speaker was doing less work for the same output. I wanted to ensure longevity. I initially felt that the speakers were out of room and that I had to push too hard to get the desired SPL. I soon learned that the speakers have a very large amount of safety built into them. The limiting starts early and remains very subtle until it needs to actually do some work. The point in which the limiting actually starts to become noticeable is usually well after you have acquired plenty of SPL at normal distances and under normal and expected use.

I currently own a set of SRX812's and the SRX818's and as a proof of concept to myself I ran them at their respective unity gains ( 0db and no increase in master level ) to see how they worked for me under my normal running conditions. I found that I needed no change to the settings on the speaker. I ran with the SRX tops and SRX subs settings as suggested. I ran the subs on an aux which I think is essential. I didn't find that I needed any more drive signal level than before to get the desired SPL.

There is a new Firmware that is out for the SRX line now and that may have something to do with that? I did the update before I made my maiden voyage with my set of speakers. They don't mention a change in metering in the release notes though.

--- End quote ---
I read about the make up gain in here right now it seems like running my 2 srx818sp subs at full is perfect...hope I don't need the make up gain in future...and my srx815p at 0db or when I get bigger gigs at 6...also with srx top and bottom settings....

When I first got the srx815p I noticed that I needed to feed them more power....i had one of the srx815p amp went out last year with almost no volume it would just make a popping noise and would turn on and off it was a faulty amp and got a brand new one from jbl good warranty.

About the firmware update I remember doing a update for my srx815ps...i gotta check later if my srx818sp have the newest one...hope it's something good lol.

Steve Garris:

--- Quote from: Jonathan Arce on January 31, 2018, 07:34:45 pm ---I read about the make up gain in here right now it seems like running my 2 srx818sp subs at full is perfect...hope I don't need the make up gain in future...and my srx815p at 0db or when I get bigger gigs at 6...also with srx top and bottom settings....

When I first got the srx815p I noticed that I needed to feed them more power....i had one of the srx815p amp went out last year with almost no volume it would just make a popping noise and would turn on and off it was a faulty amp and got a brand new one from jbl good warranty.

About the firmware update I remember doing a update for my srx815ps...i gotta check later if my srx818sp have the newest one...hope it's something good lol.

--- End quote ---

Didn't know about the firmware update - thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version